shape
carat
color
clarity

Frustrating day in the seach for a custom ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Okay..so I''ve been looking at diamonds online, and have a pretty good idea of what I will end up with (0.6-0.7 ct RB). I want to have the diamond set locally and have it custom made.

What I want is very simple. About a 3mm band, a square shank, white gold, lower profile 4 prong, with a single small diamond (1ct. or 0.05ct) in the fat part of the square shank.

at one custom store the quote looks like its going to come in at about $1200-1500 (Canadian)

and the the other store I got a bit of static about not buying a stone from them if they were to make me a custom setting (which wasn''t totally unexpected)

So, all in all I''m a bit disappointed with the way things went today, It might be back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a picture of what you want? It might be easier to find a stock setting, then a dealer who carries it nearby. Why go custom if you don''t have to?

rfrads

Rough_Rock
This is a picture of what I kind of want. With a small stone where I''ve indicated with the black dot. The head doesn''t have to be like that, this is just an idea. I just feel like $1500 is a little high for something like this. But maybe I''m wrong, maybe I should expect to pay that much.

I''m heasitant to buy a whole ring online incase there are sizing issues, and I''d like to have a jeweler to deal with for things like cleaning, but maybe that isn''t so important.

rfrads002.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I might be completely missing what you described but here's an option. http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/V-150/

Never mind...I didn't understand where the extra diamond was supposed to go.

As far as cost goes, you are asking for a custom design, and the cost will have more to do with the labor of creating something from scratch than the simplicity of your design.

A. Jaffe makes something like what you are looking for. The Euro band with a diamond. A. Jaffe But they are expensive.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Something like this, perhaps? Though there are two diamonds, not one:

Euro Princess

They may be able to modify it for you.

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock

Canada has a great custom shop in Montreal www.ringlock.com Allen Cretes makes his white gold in rhodium free white, so you never need to plate your ring. His work is superior to what I have seen, especially since we needed a special ring made for my husband''s enlarged knuckle. We were not planning on having my ring done by him originally, until I saw what he could create for us. And the wonderful thing is that I will never see a copy of my ring anywhere else.

He made my ring and I love it. His rings have that liquid look, and nice flow to his designs.

Michelle

beau13

Ideal_Rock
I feel your pain!
Just went through this myself for the last several weeks.
I don''t have any words of wisdom, other than "shop around"..keep looking..and looking until you find what you truly want for the price you want to pay!
As a Canadian, I can truly say, shopping for a custom ring setting is more painful than 4 root canals and an extraction in the same day!
20.gif

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 10:56:13 PM
Author: rfrads
This is a picture of what I kind of want. With a small stone where I''ve indicated with the black dot. The head doesn''t have to be like that, this is just an idea. I just feel like $1500 is a little high for something like this. But maybe I''m wrong, maybe I should expect to pay that much.

I''m heasitant to buy a whole ring online incase there are sizing issues, and I''d like to have a jeweler to deal with for things like cleaning, but maybe that isn''t so important.
I believe $1500 is totally outrageous for a plain gold setting that resembles the pic you posted. I recently agreed to pay $1800 (taxes included for a halo type setting, 18 k gold, with about .78 carats of small diamonds throughout! It''s a custom job as well)

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:09:53 PM
Author: mrb19992004

Canada has a great custom shop in Montreal www.ringlock.com Allen Cretes makes his white gold in rhodium free white, so you never need to plate your ring. His work is superior to what I have seen, especially since we needed a special ring made for my husband''s enlarged knuckle. We were not planning on having my ring done by him originally, until I saw what he could create for us. And the wonderful thing is that I will never see a copy of my ring anywhere else.

He made my ring and I love it. His rings have that liquid look, and nice flow to his designs.

Michelle

I would love to see pics of your ring Michelle..do you have any? I did receive a sketch from Mr Cretes several months ago..which was fabulous..the design was amazing and unique. The only reason I decided NOT to go with him, was that I found his price was a little high for what I was getting (no diamonds, just a gold mount for about $3000).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Did you give them an oultine of your budget?

I am not sure why you would get "static" from any vendor--people remake and reset jewellery all the time and stones are not necessarily purchased in that transaction. Just make sure your stone is insured prior to having it set.

cheers--Sharon

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 10:01:07 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am not sure why you would get ''static'' from any vendor--people remake and reset jewellery all the time and stones are not necessarily purchased in that transaction. Just make sure your stone is insured prior to having it set.

cheers--Sharon

I didn''t really give an outline to the shop that quoted me $1500 (that was the rough quote, I''ll have a firm quote this week).

The second shop, I went in just looking for a custom ring. and was pretty much told that unless I buy a stone from him he isn''t making enough money off of me. And then got a lecture about the jewellery making business being hard work..etc. Really frusterating.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 3:09:53 PM
Author: mrb19992004

Michelle

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately Montreal is on the other side of the Canada from me!

Ryan

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2009 11:07:19 PM
Author: rfrads

Date: 2/1/2009 10:01:07 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I am not sure why you would get 'static' from any vendor--people remake and reset jewellery all the time and stones are not necessarily purchased in that transaction. Just make sure your stone is insured prior to having it set.

cheers--Sharon

I didn't really give an outline to the shop that quoted me $1500 (that was the rough quote, I'll have a firm quote this week).

The second shop, I went in just looking for a custom ring. and was pretty much told that unless I buy a stone from him he isn't making enough money off of me. And then got a lecture about the jewellery making business being hard work..etc. Really frusterating.
Went through that with plenty of jewelers. Not sure why they feel the need to tell us that. We got the diamond (it could have been passed down from out grandmother..who cares where it came from)..just set the damn thing. Why are these jewelers in business, if they don't want to sell us a setting for our diamond, and set it for us. It can't be all that complicated!! They make me furious!!
29.gif
If it's such "hard work" then maybe they should rethink their livelihood?? Why can't they do it..just because that is what they SHOULD do..provide outstanding customer service!! Seems most people these days just want to make a buck !! What part of Canada are you in? I am in Ontario...I have found a few different places in various provinces that WILL work with us!! Let me know if you need any more help.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Yeah, and I will say this. I do sympathize with the custom jeweler. they certainly are craftsmen, both shops I am considering do absolutely amazing work, which I do respect. But I don''t walk into a store complaining that I can''t afford to spend 10K on a grad students salary demanding a deal, I have no problem paying the craftsman for the work, I just want to pay a fair price and be treated fairly!

I''m in Alberta (Edmonton), let me know of any you can recommend. Thanks.

mrb19992004

Rough_Rock
Canadians have Alen Cretes for great custom work in Montreal.
www.ringlock.com and all his platinum is hand wrought, we love our rings he made for me.
We are in Texas, shipping south is easier than going north as you see.

Here is my custom ring that Alen made for me.

Cross over c.jpg

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 7:31:48 PM
Author:rfrads
Okay..so I''ve been looking at diamonds online, and have a pretty good idea of what I will end up with (0.6-0.7 ct RB). I want to have the diamond set locally and have it custom made.

What I want is very simple. About a 3mm band, a square shank, white gold, lower profile 4 prong, with a single small diamond (1ct. or 0.05ct) in the fat part of the square shank.

at one custom store the quote looks like its going to come in at about $1200-1500 (Canadian)

and the the other store I got a bit of static about not buying a stone from them if they were to make me a custom setting (which wasn''t totally unexpected)

So, all in all I''m a bit disappointed with the way things went today, It might be back to the drawing board.

Any ideas?

So about that $1500 quote, It came back today at $1995.00 (Canadian), I am shocked...and don''t really know where to go from here.

I really need to find a place to get this done, and have it done well. As I will likely be getting the matching wedding band, and a wedding band for myself all from the same place.

If anyone out there can send my in any direction that would be great. I''m in Edmonton Alberta Canada, but I''d even be willing to go to Calgary if I had to.

rfrads

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/7/2009 3:05:54 AM
Author: JulieN
David Keeling is in Edmonton!

http://www.davidkeelingjewellery.com/contact-us

Yes he is, his work is amazing. I spoke to him and got the impression that if I wasn''t buying my diamond from him then it would be tough for him to take the job. I plan on giving him another call and see if we can work something out, but I''m not too optimistic as I have already bought the diamond.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
The Adwar Casting Company makes a square shank ring that is very similar to the one you described:

http://www.adwar.com/products/styles/21578L/view

You can have your local jeweler, or a PS jeweler, order it and have your diamond set. I imagine it won't be too expensive.

adwarsqshank2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results