clarity

Front Load Washer/Dryer?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ya'll are NOT making this decison any easier for me! :blackeye:

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
In my experience, top loaders do not remove stains particularly well, particularly at low temperatures. The one I used to have was a Maytag TL, and my friend had one with the same problem, though I am not sure of the brand.

I've never had that problem with front loaders. I have an AEG FL washing machine and an Electrolux dryer and they've worked issue-free for the past two years. In Europe; I think most people have front loaders.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I see a cultural difference at work here. In Australia, they don't even offer toploaders anymore. You have to SCOUR the shops to find one model. Australia is a very green country in comparison to the area I grew up in the States. In fact, for the last 6 years I've been roughing it down under...with NO dryer! Gasp! It's true, you can live without a dryer! Saves electricity and your clothes last much longer. Who knew that you could actually use the SUN as a heat source to dry clothes?? :lol: In winter they just go on a clothes airer in front of the fire and are toasty in less than the length of an evening. :bigsmile:

Anyway, I've had frontloading washing machines since I moved here. One was in my rental house, no problems except a loose seal ("allegedly" my fault for pushing too many clothes in the door at once!). Then when DH and I bought our house together 4 years ago, we got a new Electrolux frontloading washing machine. Not top of the line, in fact a model that was being discountinued. No issues at all...and I've not cleaned it ONCE in the entire time we've had it!! :o Didn't even cross my mind. We use powder for frontloaders only, and about once a year I run a cycle with vinegar.

I think frontloaders are certainly the way of the future. FARRRR less water consumption and good on your power bill as well. :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good feedback justginger. I actually only use my dryer for sheets/towels, socks and hang everything else on drying racks. Since we don't have a fire on a daily basis, it takes a bit longer for the clothes to dry, but like you said, it's kinder to the environment and easier on our clothes.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1330042177|3132838 said:
It's funny. People either love them or hate them (i.e. have had probs or haven't). There doesn't seem to be much middle of the road "they're ok"....

DF, I am not replacing my existing dial controlled machine until they refuse to work anymore. I agree that they don't make 'em like they used to and that all of these "newfangled" sensors/gadgets open the door for trouble.

Pandora, what do you mean by "integrated"? I've never even heard of that???

I know that these are "only" washers/dryers, but I really don't know what to do. I'm a risk averse kind of person and FL machines seem prone to issues that the TLs don't have, but it sure would be nice to have a counter on top of the machines for folding, etc. Aesthetically, I prefer them, but I'm not sure that's a reason to "gamble" that I'll be one of the lucky ones who gets one that works as expected. Grrr.... :roll:

They fit into the kitchen cabinets...

If you looked at my kitchen, below the counter it looks like a run of cabinets, if you open them you will find that it a cupboard, a dishwasher and a washing machine.

I didn't have space to put the drier in the kitchen as well, so I just had a cupboard built for it in another room.

Ditto justginger - I have NEVER had to spend time cleaning my washing machine (nor have I heard of people doing this). I put Woolite in when I'm doing woolens, otherwise I use Fairy gel tabs. I'll put conditioner in the dispenser thing, but otherwise all powders, woolite, tablets etc go straight in with the clothes.

The only thing I have ever had to do is to turn it upside down to get my husband's silver collar straighteners and some 2p coins out of the filter. It's a PITA and takes a good 20 minutes unscrewing things and putting it back together again, but is very easy and saves the £100 call-out for a plumber to do the same!

I guess it's what you are used to - I've never even seen a top-loader!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
We have Maytag front loaders and love them. The week we got them the seal in the washing machine split and we had a wee flood, they replaced it and all was well. Just last weekend my son was doing his clothes and for some reason peeled back the door seal and found 4 socks a bathrobe belt and a cigarette lighter! Never made a sound that they were in there!
Love that we use so much less detergent and fabric softener and I Use some concoction they sold us to run through the machine once a month instead of the vinegar. When that runs out I'm going with vinegar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results