shape
carat
color
clarity

Front Load Washer/Dryer?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My 15 year old washer is acting wonky and I know it's going to give out soon. Looking into a replacement and have read mixed reviews on front load washers....

If you have one, can you tell me pros/cons and if you love what you have, what brand/model? Thanks!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yenny! I have one, and I think there have been a couple threads posted on this topic if you want to do some more research. When I did my research I read all the reviews I could find online, including consumer reports. At the time, (about 2 years ago) Samsung was the brand that I found most people were happy with. I initially wanted the Electrolux, but I couldn't get myself to pay the extra thousand bucks to get them. I have been really happy with them. I did have to have the pump replaced in the two years have had my washer, but I found that I was using too much soap and fabric softener. I used exactly what the manufacturer suggested and the HE soap said to use. The repair man
who came told me how much to use and it really is not much more that a tablespoon, two at most. He also told me to run 2 cups of white vinegar through the sanitize cycle once a month, and that gets rid of residue inside the machine.

That said, I have been really happy with my machine and I don't think I will go back to top loaders. I really save on water and soap and fabric softener. It does seem to take a bit longer for a wash cycle, but the clothes are practically dry, so the drying time is much less.
My machine also has a 'quick wash' cycle that takes 30 minutes. I use that quite often.

It is sometimes harder to get blankets dry. They roll up in a ball and the center doesn't get dry. I seems worse than my old dryer.
Other than that I love them.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks luv! You've confirmed what I've read online, but I prefer to get opinions from people I "know" and trust. If I get a front loader, I want to put a slab of granite across the top (mounted to the wall, not resting on the machines) for folding purposes, so if I ended up not liking the front load, I'd be kinda screwed. :-o

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate mine.. It's a Whirlpool. It doesn't get towels clean... I wash them twice with all kinds of additives.

My friend had an LG she is in love with...it steams (I'm jealous). Check consumer reports... I love the convenience, water savings etc... But the performance of mine have been for poo....disclaimer... Mine are about 6 years old... For what it's worth...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a kenmore - next-to-top of the line, at least 6 years old now. No problems, and I love how it gets so much more water out of the clothes so drying goes much faster too.

If you really want to do some research check out a forum called "garden web," sub-forum "laundry room." Those folks love to talk washers and dryers!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny, I had also read the mixed reviews and ended up choosing a top-loading HE washer. I love it, and haven't had any of the issues associated with the front-loading HE machines (mildew, seal breaking, etc). I also find the top-loading easier than having to bend over for the front-loading. I can't remember off-hand which one I have, but I can check if you are interested.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I should add I have not had problems with mine, and what I really like is that it's soooo much gentler on my clothes than a top-loader.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the opinions! VR, I'll definitely check out that forum you mentioned...I appreciate the suggestion!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the Whirpool Duet set that is about 3 years old. We've had to replace the control panel on the dryer and the washer wasn't emptying at one point. I would love to replace them with the LG set, and wish we'd gone that route in the first place.

One thing I did learn was that I'd never go back to top load. I love the way the front loaders use less water and detergent and are so gentle on clothes, yet so effective in cleaning, especially large or bulky loads. I have a worktop on top of the set and no platforms. This does mean a lot of stooping down. I actually use a small foot stool to sit on when transferring the loads. I prefer to do this rather than jack them up with the platforms. But for some that may be an issue. Good luck!

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I have a whirlpool duet set that I love. I second the idea of running vinegar through the washing machine! It keeps any musty smell away. I also leave the door of the washer open to let it dry out on, including in the seals.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I've never seen a top-loader in the UK... they're all front loaders. We also have a lot of integrated appliances - I think that is unusual in the US?

I'm also not a fan of washer/drier combi and don't know anyone who has one who liked it.

I have both a dryer and a washing machine from Bosch - both are great. My mother has Miele for both of hers and loves them too.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have an LG front loader, and while it's okay, I've often wished I'd stayed with the top loader. I miss being able to soak stained clothing for a while before starting the wash cycle. I don't like having to bend to reach the clothes. And, once in a while my washer just will not start. We found that we have to unplug the machine and allow it to 'reset.' Saving on water and detergent is good though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
love my 26 yr old Maytag top loader with dial.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I have the LG front load washer and dryer. I am actually very disappointed with them. No matter how often I run the washer cleaner through, when I take my wash out of the washer they always smell like a damp, mildewy towel. :rolleyes: The dryer doesn't dry, unless I put the dryer on a manual setting, my clothes are never dry because dryer sensor used on all of the settings doesn't work.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents have the Samsung front loading washer and dryer and she also got the stands for them, so they're at a great height for her. She just leaves the door of the washer open for a while after she does a load so she hasn't had any issues with mildew.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1330033942|3132712 said:
I have the LG front load washer and dryer. I am actually very disappointed with them. No matter how often I run the washer cleaner through, when I take my wash out of the washer they always smell like a damp, mildewy towel. :rolleyes: The dryer doesn't dry, unless I put the dryer on a manual setting, my clothes are never dry because dryer sensor used on all of the settings doesn't work.
yup,too many useless electronic gadgets with today's washers and dryers.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's funny. People either love them or hate them (i.e. have had probs or haven't). There doesn't seem to be much middle of the road "they're ok"....

DF, I am not replacing my existing dial controlled machine until they refuse to work anymore. I agree that they don't make 'em like they used to and that all of these "newfangled" sensors/gadgets open the door for trouble.

Pandora, what do you mean by "integrated"? I've never even heard of that???

I know that these are "only" washers/dryers, but I really don't know what to do. I'm a risk averse kind of person and FL machines seem prone to issues that the TLs don't have, but it sure would be nice to have a counter on top of the machines for folding, etc. Aesthetically, I prefer them, but I'm not sure that's a reason to "gamble" that I'll be one of the lucky ones who gets one that works as expected. Grrr.... :roll:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1330041038|3132826 said:
Agreed! When we get sent to our next post....the washer and dryer are not coming with :nono: I am definitely going back to basics after this experience!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just this past month my daughter purchased a washer and dryer and i insisted for her to buy a TL Maytag washer. Maytags are one of the very few that are still made in the U.S.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1330043705|3132864 said:
Dancing Fire|1330041038|3132826 said:
Agreed! When we get sent to our next post....the washer and dryer are not coming with :nono: I am definitely going back to basics after this experience!
yeah,who needs 100 different functions on a washer/dryer?.. :rolleyes:

melave

Shiny_Rock
HI

I have both a top loader and a front loader and i love my top loader

My top loader is a fisher and paykel that i have had for about 10 years now, and the only repair i have had to do was to trim a hose in it about 6 years ago and grease a bearing that was a bit noisy. The water in most places i have lived is really hard. This machine has travelled some miles and is still going *touch wood*

I also have a electrolux front loader. It is a good machine, but sometimes i have soap residue on the clothes and it clogs up alot and i have to unblock it.

I would happily stick to a top loader. I always find that one sock just after the door has locked on the F/L :rolleyes:

Dancing Fire|1330044366|3132870 said:
just this past month my daughter purchased a washer and dryer and i insisted for her to buy a TL Maytag washer. Maytags are one of the very few that are still made in the U.S.

Maytags are great!! I worked on them years ago at one place i was working and they are so easy to repair. These machines had a hard life and there was minimal repairs done to them. They were top loaders though

EDIT: oops sorry i didn't read your post properly. Mine is just a washer. I am not a fan of the combo units as we do a lot of washing in our house and it just takes too much time up. I would personally (if i have the space) to have a separate dryer.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have the LG and I love it. I had the mildew problem armywife13 mentions.I did a lot of research and found that it can be eliminated and kept away. Once a week add a teaspoon of TSP (trisodium phosphate) AND a teaspoon of bleach to the wash. I add the tsp with the soap and dilute the bleach in a quart of water after the machine has added all the wash water it wants. You really have to use both these things together. Once the washer is cured you will need to use the mixture on everything that youve washed before and that now is mildewd. Once youve done that it is easy to maintain. Also remember to dry your clothes completely before putting away. Sounds obvious, but...
Also there is a trap at the bottom of the LG that needs to be cleaned out every few months. Ive never found anything in it but when I open it all the water that couldn't be pumped out gets drained and that is a good thing too. If you use the tsp/bleach treatment from the time you get the machine you should never have the problem. Nothing else worked, like leaving the door open (though I still do), running a hot empty bleach cycle...
I get TSP at Ace hardware. It comes in a plastic tub. It is sold to clean hard surfaces like cement driveways. there are some products that claim to be tsp or equivalent but are not trisodium phosphate, so make sure that is the ingredient.
The machine is awesome. Whisper quiet. Make sure it is installed level!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
To clarify, I am talking about separate washer and dryer, not one unit, in case that makes a difference.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1330047539|3132919 said:
To clarify, I am talking about separate washer and dryer, not one unit, in case that makes a difference.
i was referring to separate units.the one piece are a big NO,NO... :nono:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we moved to a new house a year and a half ago, I did extensive research on front loading washers and dryers. I bought Samsung because it pretty much had the best ratings at that time. I did not buy a top of the line model, though. It was a lower end one because I didn't care about things I wouldn't ever use. Plus, washer/dryers don't seem to last as long as they used to, so why put $3000 into something that might not last long?

Initially, even though I did keep the washer door open after doing a load, it did develop that mildew smell. I tried the bleach, vinegar, etc., but that was sort of a pain.

BUT, I SOLVED THAT PROBLEM!: Use ONLY powder detergent (I use Tide). We never again had another problem with mildew!!! I figured it out because there are a couple of powder products marketed to run through the washer to keep the mildew away, and I thought, well, I may as well just use powder detergent when I wash clothes, and it worked! I still leave the washer door open at all times except for when it is running, obviously!

I am going to put a damper on your granite folding surface, though. These things are LOW and absolutely need the stands unless you are a very short person. You probably don't want to bend down the next 10 years to do the laundry. I initially resisted buying them, but I realized they were going to be too low and did buy the stands.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny, I just had a hose replaced on my 10-year-old Amana and the repairman said a lot of the same things DF is saying. They really don't make them like they used to and that's on purpose (with one exception.) The motors are cheap and built to die in about eight years. Nobody wants to use dials anymore because they last forever. The repairman told me to just keep having mine fixed. He did offer up Speed Queen as the only company that was still making them old school, which makes sense because their primary buyers are laundromats and think about the wear and tear those machines go through.
As far as top vs. front load.....do you want to have to clean your machine on a very regular basis? One of the local TV stations here did a story about them a couple of years ago and it convinced me. The woman they talked to thought a front loader was going to solve all her laundry problems. Well now she spends 15-20 minutes at least once a week cleaning her machine. She has to pull out the dispenser and wipe it down with bleach water because mold likes to cover the bottom. They showed a picture she had taken of it when she couldn't figure out where the smell was coming from. It was disgusting. These things are a paradise for mold and mildew. You have to keep the door open all the time. I decided they weren't for me. I've got enough stuff to keep clean.
Good luck in your quest :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had Kenmore front loader for 12 years and it's been trouble free.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1330049426|3132948 said:
When we moved to a new house a year and a half ago, I did extensive research on front loading washers and dryers. I bought Samsung because it pretty much had the best ratings at that time. I did not buy a top of the line model, though. It was a lower end one because I didn't care about things I wouldn't ever use. Plus, washer/dryers don't seem to last as long as they used to, so why put $3000 into something that might not last long?

Initially, even though I did keep the washer door open after doing a load, it did develop that mildew smell. I tried the bleach, vinegar, etc., but that was sort of a pain.

BUT, I SOLVED THAT PROBLEM!: Use ONLY powder detergent (I use Tide). We never again had another problem with mildew!!! I figured it out because there are a couple of powder products marketed to run through the washer to keep the mildew away, and I thought, well, I may as well just use powder detergent when I wash clothes, and it worked! I still leave the washer door open at all times except for when it is running, obviously!

I am going to put a damper on your granite folding surface, though. These things are LOW and absolutely need the stands unless you are a very short person. You probably don't want to bend down the next 10 years to do the laundry. I initially resisted buying them, but I realized they were going to be too low and did buy the stands.
So it works fine with powdered detergent? Hmmmm I will have to try that. Dummy question here.....with powder detergent and the front loader, do you still put the powder in directly with the laundry?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't buy special detergent for my front loader.
Just the cheapo Costo Kirkland powdered stuff.
I use about half of what's recommended.

Works fine.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1330060861|3133093 said:
I don't buy special detergent for my front loader.
Just the cheapo Costo Kirkland powdered stuff.
I use about half of what's recommended.

Works fine.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results