shape
carat
color
clarity

Front load washer/dryer worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Our new house doesn''t have a washer or dryer (and it turns out I was right that there is no dryer vent hole -- apparently the owner was just letting it vent in the basement based on the lint -- but DH can put this in himself), so I am trying to figure out options. I wandered around the Sears Scratch n Dent outlet today quite confused.

Is it worth it to get the front load washer and dryer? Is one more important than the other? I honestly don''t care what they look like or if they match, but I care about being ecologically responsible (while also being frugal).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 1:20:39 PM
Author:phoenixgirl

Is it worth it to get the front load washer and dryer? Is one more important than the other? I honestly don''t care what they look like or if they match, but I care about being ecologically responsible (while also being frugal).
I guess that depends on what you consider "worth it".

To me, it was absolutely worth it. In addition to using less energy, less water, and less detergent (all of which are eco-friendly), it seems to do a much better job of cleaning the clothes.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes totally worth it for us!! we got front loading when we moved in 3 years ago and we love our washer and dryer. we got them both for about $1k from sears...i think they are kenmore. it''s easier to get things in and out and they are large capacity. the top loaders were basically almost the same price, maybe $100 less and for how long we wanted to use them, we figured the front loading amortized out to be more than even.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was going to get a pair so I could have a counter built over them.... but in the end I was too cheap to fork out the money when I have a set that still works great, even if it is about 14 years old lol I feel kinda sentimental over these - they were our first "adult" sort of purchase.... you know, an appliance! lol All of that aside though, if I were to NEED a pair, I''d get the front loaders. not to thrilled with having to bnd over/stoop for unloading *both* of them, but you can get the risers... of course then you can''t build a counter over them.... dilema dilema... lol

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I've been doing some research and am definitely sold on the washer. But about the dryer? Do the dryers that "match" the front load washers actually do anything different from ugly older-looking dryers? The only thing I've read is that a moisture sensor is key, which seems to come on cheaper, traditional looking dryers too.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
FI and I recently bought the whirlpool duo sport. The set ran us about $2k with the stands and after tax. I love them though and am glad that we decided to spend the extra money. I agree that the washer definitely cleans our clothes better. I don''t see much difference in the dryer and any other dryer with a sensor though. If you don''t care about them matching then you could probably get something cheaper that works just as well. I do, however, like the wrinkle guard feature on ours. It continues to toss rotate your laundry every few minutes after it''s done to prevent wrinkles.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s worth it for the washer. It''s much gentler on your clothes, and is more eco friendly... we currently had a top loading washer at my place (a rental) and it is much harder on my clothes than the side loader I was using before.

I don''t really see a difference in the dryer though. They all seem the same to me, as long as they dry my clothes!!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES YES YES AND YES AGAIN.

3 years now with our LG pair and no problems.

win win situation.

movie zombie

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Concept wise, yes. More room for clothes, gentler on them, uses less water. BUT I would never ever ever buy a kenmore again. I have a Kenmore set tat cost over $2,000 for both and the washer has mold problems. Mold builds up where the detergent goes. AND even worse, mold builds up in the machine and every few weeks I need to run an emty cycle with bleach on sanitary to get rid of it. I always leave the door open too so it does not get too moist inside.

So yes on front loader but I would beware of Kenmore and I would never buy Kenmore again.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I can''t speak to whether it''s important for all dryers.....I can only share what I''ve found with mine.

I have the Whirlpool Duet set, and I find that the dryer does a MUCH better job at two things: drying bulky items, and trapping the hair/lint from clothes.

We have 2 cats and a dog - tons of hair, and the Whirlpool Duet dryer does an amazing job getting the lint/hair out of them.

It also works fabulous on the bulky stuff (comforters, heavy quilts, heavy loads of jeans. Takes me less time to dry them in this dryer than it ever did in conventional ones - probably because the drum is larger, so there''s more room for air to circulate around.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
We have the LG front loading set with the steam wash option. Sister in-law has the same one without the steam wash option.

Front loading is awesome. How little water it uses is incredible. Seems to use less detergent as well (altho you have to buy the HE stuff). Clothes seem to come out with less wear and tear. Dryer doesn''t have to be on as long cuz the spin cycle is so high, the clothes are merely damp after the wash cycle. Much less lint as well compared to the top loaders.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really debated it when I got my Neptunes...I had just heard there is an issue with trapped water and mildew and ordor, but I am not sure if this is true. I think they can be great, if you do your research...Maytag Neptune and a lot of the European brands are supposed to be good...

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
you know, my ILs have a front loading washer that has the molding/smell issue w/the detergent too. I don''t know what brand they have. They just bleach it out when they do a white load. But yeah, that would be annoying.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
yes get the front loader!

At least for the washer. works like a charm - clothes are cleaner and less abused. economical too. Love mine. My parents now bring their laundry over to my place!!! Wish that I was joking.

Also a plus when reselling your place!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
I love having my front loading washer and dryer. Best choice my husband made in appliances. I do alot of laundry and I mean ALOT. With 9 kids, even my two oldest who do not live with me anymore come to my house to use my washer and dryer. It is more economical, more effective, and is earth friendly. I have them on pedestals which is helpful to the back of whomever is using them.

I honestly think the only down side is I do not feel they are a good choice for dying clothes, like I do that alot...not. It is a challenge finding a powder or many choices in laundry detergents. I feel the pros outweigh the cons and I am fine with that.

You really have to decide for yourself if it is the right thing for you, but for me, I am solid on the front loaders.

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
BTW, never had mold or mildew problems with my set. Yes, got them at the Sears outlet. Nothing bad to complain about. Love the wrinkle guard. Whether it be Sears Kenmore or Maytag Neptune or whatever brand you want, just get them.

The dryer is terrific and I have had my set since 2000! I have the standing extended warranty and at least once a year I get them checked out free of any additional charges. The fact is either you will like them or not. Simple.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
We''ve had ours for a bit over 2 months now and we haven''t had a problem with mold or odor. We just leave the detergent drawer and the washer door open at all times unless there''s a load in it or we have company.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just out of interest, top loaders are very rare in the UK - frontloaders have been the thing since the seventies.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
We have Kenmore front loaders from Sears (mid-range ones... about $1K each if I remember correctly) and I think they actually make washing fun, if that is at all possible. For opening up a Sears charge card, we got 20% cash back on the total cost and this promo is something they do regularly if you are interested (we paid the balance right away). Every once in a while the inside of the washer will smell, but I try to leave the door open to prevent it.

Now I don’t know if regular dryers come with “quiet packs” or extra insulation to keep the noise to a minimum, but our dryer does and that was worth it for us. Our washer/dryer is in our upstairs hall closet, right next to our bedroom and can easily be heard downstairs (open stairwell). With our old set you couldn’t watch TV everything was so loud… I waited until I was leaving the house to start washing. We also have the dryer on a pedestal, which actually helped us fit it into the closet (vent issues). I use the washer top as a folding table, works out well.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Kenmore front loader and I have odor/mold issues also.

I hate having to leave the door open to prevent the odor and keep it dry.....
39.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Our realtor also flips houses and has a deal to get Frigidaire appliances at wholesale, so I picked out what we''d probably go with and he''s checking the prices. I decided on a front-loader that was rated well by Consumer Reports, but just a regular dryer that has a moisture-sensor to save about $200. I didn''t get the absolute cheapest on everything else (especially since we''re getting stainless steel for the kitchen), but since the laundry is in the basement and purely functional, I''m getting the absolute cheapest that fits my criteria.

Washer: FTF2140ES link
Dryer: GLER642A link
Stove: FGF366EC link
Dishwasher: FDB2000RFC link
Refrigerator: PLHT189CSK link

Of course, if we don''t like the price he quotes us, we''ll consider other brands and visit the scratch and dent center. The MSRP is $3275 but they''re listed on the Lowe''s website for $2800, so we''d need a big discount beyond that to sell us on all one brand.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, no problems with odor/mildew with the LG set. however, there is a lint filter on the washer that has to be cleaned out and if that isn''t taken care of then there can be an off odor. but its easy enough to do and with 7 indoor cats, the lint filter gets a work out.

movie zombie

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the front load is less tough on clothes because it does not have an agitator, my Neptune top load does not have one either. I think the agitator action is what is tougher on the clothes...and since a front load does not have one it is less movement and risk of damage...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My parents love theirs but beware you can not add clothes once you start the wash cycle (which I do all the time b/c I find something I forgot). Besides that I think they have had no problems.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 7:42:58 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
My parents love theirs but beware you can not add clothes once you start the wash cycle (which I do all the time b/c I find something I forgot). Besides that I think they have had no problems.

Yeah, that''s a habit of mine too. But, the front loader uses so much less water and detergent, I don''t feel guilty doing another load if I''ve forgotten enough stuff. Otherwise, one sock can wait until the next laundry day.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 5:13:10 PM
Author: diamondfan
I really debated it when I got my Neptunes...I had just heard there is an issue with trapped water and mildew and ordor, but I am not sure if this is true. I think they can be great, if you do your research...Maytag Neptune and a lot of the European brands are supposed to be good...
We got a new set in July as our new house has the utility room upstairs. I heard all of these things from a friend that had a front loader and later changed to a top loader. We ultimately decided to get the Whirlpool top loader and I think that for the money you can''t beat it. In my research you need to buy a high end brand to escape some of the common front loader problems, but, I can''t say firsthand. Have you checked Consumer Reports? They sometimes have valuable information.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2006 7:57:06 PM
Author: codex57

Date: 12/29/2006 7:42:58 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Yeah, that''s a habit of mine too. But, the front loader uses so much less water and detergent, I don''t feel guilty doing another load if I''ve forgotten enough stuff. Otherwise, one sock can wait until the next laundry day.
Huh, I forget to add stuff all the time, but I can add items for the first 10 minutes of a load with our Kenmores. Didnt know that option was special!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I bought the LG Tromm titanium set today and look forward to having them in the NY. Plus, the rebate from our municipal and provincial gov''ts (100 bucks total) b/c of the energy efficiency ratings is great!!

cheers--Sharon

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to ask...does anyone have super-quiet ones? My dog is terrifed of the spin-cycle on our current washing machine. I need a REALLY quiet set. Thanks!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if it''s the front loader or whether a top loader would do it, too, but....we have ours upstairs and it just happens to be above the kitchen chandelier -- when it spins it shakes the floor and we lost a lot of light bulbs until we went to the compact flourescent ones. We have to put our spin cycle on med or low or it just rattles and makes a ton of noise due to the vibration. We need to build a shock absorber under ours, but we haven''t done it yet. We did find out not to put the drawer units under them because it makes that worse. I love our front loader washing machine, but it does get mildew (our old top loader did too). I just take out the little baskets where you add the detergent, softner and bleach, and I wash them. The rubber part of the door seal gets mildewy, too. I wipe it with bleach water and a cloth. It''s fine, but it is a slight inconvenience. I like the gentleness to my hand washables, and I love being able to do large loads.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results