shape
carat
color
clarity

From a optics standpoint, is there really a ~10k difference?

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
From a learning standpoint, if both stones were set in the same ring and worn from normal viewing difference, could anyone reeeeeallly tell?

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
~Anyone~? possibly, possibly not. A crazy person (like me/this forum) with sensitive eyes? yeah, probably. A $10,000 to one person might be a $10 difference to someone else. Being a luxury and being something so objective it's really hard to say

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
~Anyone~? possibly, possibly not. A crazy person (like me/this forum) with sensitive eyes? yeah, probably. A $10,000 to one person might be a $10 difference to someone else. Being a luxury and being something so objective it's really hard to say

Thanks for your reply! I am new to the forum, and trying to learn as much as I can by participating in discussions/asking questions. It’s easy to say one diamond is superior because of its reputation and branding, but at the end of the day, aren‘t they both IGI hearts and arrows with good proportions? I guess I’m trying to learn how to discern quality based on objective grading certificates/ proportions rather than branding/ company reputation, etc.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Funny thing is, I don’t like the center “dead” area of the $14k stone. Yes, I’m a totally newbie, but that area looks dark on the video.

I might be missing something. And clearly $10k gets ASET images but … I’m a little bewildered.

Thanks for posting! I’m eager to read what others think!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I'm not very educated in diamonds, lab or earth-mined. I just see sparkle and go "oooh!"

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
Funny thing is, I don’t like the center “dead” area of the $14k stone. Yes, I’m a totally newbie, but that area looks dark on the video.

I might be missing something. And clearly $10k gets ASET images but … I’m a little bewildered.

Thanks for posting! I’m eager to read what others think!

Thanks for answering! I hope it sparks a great discussion, because even if you consider one is CVD and the other HPHT, it’s still < 50% markup! What are my newbie eyes not seeing? And newbie brain not understanding? LOL!

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
For my dollars, absolutely not a $10,000 difference.

But, there is more than just the cut. On the less expensive stone, I can tell that it's just not quite as high quality of a baseline crystal it was cut from. There's evidence of internal strain that I can see on the 360 video that I don't see on the more expensive stone. Would it be visible in person? Again, it's so hard to say. Possibly not, but knowing it was there I'd probably always find myself looking for it and of course we tend to find what we're looking for.

If you're pursuing both it would be worth asking them to make a side by side comparison video

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
For my dollars, absolutely not a $10,000 difference.

But, there is more than just the cut. On the less expensive stone, I can tell that it's just not quite as high quality of a baseline crystal it was cut from. There's evidence of internal strain that I can see on the 360 video that I don't see on the more expensive stone. Would it be visible in person? Again, it's so hard to say. Possibly not, but knowing it was there I'd probably always find myself looking for it and of course we tend to find what we're looking for.

If you're pursuing both it would be worth asking them to make a side by side comparison video

I would like to buy eventually, but not ready yet. Just trying to learn about it in the meantime. I see what you mean about internal strain in the cheaper one, but I went back and watched both videos, and I also see lots of tiny white flecks in the sparkle video of the expensive one too that I didn’t notice before!

decogilmore

Rough_Rock
I'm not a huge fan of the center on either stone. But do I think the average person would choose to pay 10k more? Probably not. But I think there are better options than the non branded one

What’s a good place to start looking when I am ready to buy - do you think narrowing options by certificate such as IGI heats and arrows or gcal8x is a good start? Then narrowing selections down further by preferred proportions and videos? Thanks!

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
What’s a good place to start looking when I am ready to buy - do you think narrowing options by certificate such as IGI heats and arrows or gcal8x is a good start? Then narrowing selections down further by preferred proportions and videos? Thanks!

Those are great ways to start! You're on the right path! And gradually you'll start to identify strain and graining and tinge and tint and painting and digging, but your first ideas (proportions, heart & arrows, certificates, etc) are a great way to start.

Thanks for posting those two stones. We're such nerds that we *love* that sort of comparison stuff!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Texas Leaguer, I know trader members aren't supposed to comment on stones, but maybe you can give some insight into the price difference here? Is there something we're missing to account for the $10k gap? And completely understand if you can't say one way or the other. Just curious nerds here! :lol:

@0515vision ,
It's certainly a legitimate question. Prices of lab diamonds, especially bigger sizes, are really all over the map. The fact that there are two very different growth methods with very different manufacturing costs definitely accounts for some of the variances we see. Until fairly recently CVD was the method most widely used to grow bigger pieces. HPHT has recently been catching up in the race to grow bigger. And it is not as prone to the same defects as CVD growth which can involve starts and stops of the process leading to striation in the carbon lattice.
The Precision Lab diamond is in-house, available, fully vetted and imaged and is "As Grown". The CVD diamond is from a vendor list and is subject to prior sale or unavailability and has not been evaluated by our team, though if purchased it would be vetted for any significant issues before being shipped to a customer.
All of these factors contribute to cost and valuation differences, but it is impossible to say how much each affects price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results