shape
carat
color
clarity

Friends Diamond Engagement ring turned blue when cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marquiselover

Rough_Rock
My friend put her diamond engagement ring in jewelry cleaner along with her aquamarine ring overnight. The next day she noticed her diamonds were blue in color. I told her that maybe that the gemstone ring had been chemically treated and it probably just bled on her diamonds????????????????

Is that possible?

She is going to clean her diamond again tonight in a new jar of cleaner to see if that helps.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience?????????????????????

avlis

Shiny_Rock
someone else's stone turned pink not to long ago. turned out she had hairspray or something on the diamond and it just soaked up the color of the cleaning solution. i believe the fix was to use windex and a toothbrush and give it a real good cleaning by hand.

here is the link for the "pink" diamond thread:
diamond turned pink thread

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please also tell her that she never, ever should leave a ring in cleaning solution overnight! Leave it in for a couple of minutes and then use the little brush to remove any grime, then rinse with warm water.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Ducks* I've left mine in for DAYS... of course it was an gentle cleaner approved for emeralds and pearls even... but there were no ill effects at all.

4themrs

Rough_Rock
I had a similiar problem, with a ring that I bought my wife bought some of the advice from the gang here at PS really helped, me out. It was actually a Duh, moment since all I had to do was use some proper cleaner vs a suggested Remedy from a family friend.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2007 6:16:53 PM
Author:marquiselover
My friend put her diamond engagement ring in jewelry cleaner along with her aquamarine ring overnight. The next day she noticed her diamonds were blue in color. I told her that maybe that the gemstone ring had been chemically treated and it probably just bled on her diamonds????????????????

Is that possible?

She is going to clean her diamond again tonight in a new jar of cleaner to see if that helps.

Has anyone else had a similiar experience?????????????????????
This has happened! A good fix is sudsy ammonia, hot water, soak for half an hour, scrub and rinse, failing that it is time for the jeweller to pro clean and check.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2007 9:22:32 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Please also tell her that she never, ever should leave a ring in cleaning solution overnight! Leave it in for a couple of minutes and then use the little brush to remove any grime, then rinse with warm water.
23.gif

Uhoh - sometimes I leave rings or earrings or necklaces in for a couple of hours - what happens when I do this? I figured it would give time for the grit to get ''extra soft'' for me to scrub off. I didn''t know it would be bad.

marquiselover

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions
emteeth.gif

When my friend recleaned her ring last night in a new jar of jewelry cleaner her diamonds came out sparkling white!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results