shape
carat
color
clarity

Freshwater/metallic eye candy

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wanted to post these because 1) I love them and 2) wanted to hear from @yssie if you think the color is comparable to your "petrol slick pearl" that I covet.

The shapes are obviously not round, but the colors are so cool!

Screenshot_20231104_083731_Etsy.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_083737_Etsy.jpg

Screenshot_20231104_083824_Etsy.jpg

And this one reminds me of a little fish

Screenshot_20231104_083808_Etsy.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!!!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Spectacular!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I asked the vendor for pics in natural light (I suspect these were taken in a light box, but not sure).

Reactions: CMN

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep beautiful but want to see in other lights

Apparently the first 2 I posted were taken in natural light. I asked for a pic on someone's hand, because I don't want them to be dull in person

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hello, little lovelies :love:

@lovedogs I think you’re right on to ask for more photos - those first two may have been taken outdoors, but it was in the absolute most flattering outdoor conditions possible! Definitely photos against skin. And I would ask for a video turning the pearl, too, to see the backside. Honestly if they’re anywhere close to those photos in non-ideal lighting… :cool2:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh hello, little lovelies :love:

@lovedogs I think you’re right on to ask for more photos - those first two may have been taken outdoors, but it was in the absolute most flattering outdoor conditions possible! Definitely photos against skin. And I would ask for a video turning the pearl, too, to see the backside. Honestly if they’re anywhere close to those photos in non-ideal lighting… :cool2:

I have pics of the other side, I'll upload them now. But I'm definitely interested in on-skin pics to see if the colors are actually similar to your petrol pearl, as that's what I'm looking for

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been buying oil slick FW in drips and drabs from a few Etsy sites - I’ll share pics when I’m home. I’ve been happy with what I’ve gotten so far, I’m not picky about shape at all though - lumpy, bumpy, wrinkled, all fine as long as the colours are bright!

Interestingly - all the vendors who have these oil slick types, it seems like strength of colour isn’t the predominant value driver? They all price more “regular” shapes and smoother surfaces higher than stronger colouring, in the same size brackets.

I really don’t understand the FW market :lol:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other side pics of the original 3. The most "petrol" of the 2 definitely have flaws on the back, but if the front is truly that epically rainbow, it might be OK

Screenshot_20231105_145745_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20231105_145232_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20231105_145254_Etsy.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been buying oil slick FW in drips and drabs from a few Etsy sites - I’ll share pics when I’m home. I’ve been happy with what I’ve gotten so far, I’m not picky about shape at all though - lumpy, bumpy, wrinkled, all fine as long as the colours are bright!

Interestingly - all the vendors who have these oil slick types, it seems like strength of colour isn’t the predominant value driver? They all price more “regular” shapes and smoother surfaces higher than stronger colouring, in the same size brackets.

I really don’t understand the FW market :lol:

Yesss! Omg they all price shape and smoothness above the strong colors, which is NOT how I value FWs lol. I'd love to see what you've gotten, and any vendor info you're willing to share

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
This is where pearls get me, the crazy stunning magical colors that are natural! I swear those images look almost AI created. Lovely! Someday I'll find my perfect mermaid rainbow pearl!

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
@lovedogs have you purchased them yet and if so do tell us your plans….:mrgreen2:

7 Nov 2023

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The smoother and more symmetrical shape will usually be priced higher as the quality is better . But never assume that the colours are all natural with the darker shades- it’s very possible that some form of enhancing has occurred.

When I’m in HK looking at these - you are always told the colour is natural. I’m sure the sales people are told that by management . However there were GIA tests done on some Edison and a percentage of the group tested had been enhanced. Short of lab testing every blue green or purple pearl ( Akoya , Pistachio Tahitian, Edison ) is just about impossible to tell if it’s been treated. Obviously some scream out DYE .. but not all.
So buy them for fun - they aren’t expensive.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pics on hand. Honestly pleasantly surprised that it's so rainbow IRL

Screenshot_20231106_070400_Etsy.jpg Screenshot_20231106_070357_Etsy.jpg
Yeah here’s my feedback: You bought ‘em right?

:love: I hope they live up to those photos IRL!!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smoother and more symmetrical shape will usually be priced higher as the quality is better . But never assume that the colours are all natural with the darker shades- it’s very possible that some form of enhancing has occurred.

When I’m in HK looking at these - you are always told the colour is natural. I’m sure the sales people are told that by management . However there were GIA tests done on some Edison and a percentage of the group tested had been enhanced. Short of lab testing every blue green or purple pearl ( Akoya , Pistachio Tahitian, Edison ) is just about impossible to tell if it’s been treated. Obviously some scream out DYE .. but not all.
So buy them for fun - they aren’t expensive.

This is such an important post IMO.

For me it cuts to the heart of why I buy pearls. I buy different pearls for different reasons, and I have different requirements and thresholds and calibrations for my different purchases, and that’s perfectly okay. The only consistency we need when we buy pearls is that they make us happy! :love:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I forgot to say before - @lovedogs I will def share pics and vendor info. I’ve held off because my oil slick is in the bank, and whilst the other pearls look promising on their own - I want to be able to compare them with my Standard before I decide how I feel!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They look dyed/enhanced to me. If you are okay with that, then they are great. But..remember that some enhancements fade and fail.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one that's strung is the original oil slick. Got a few more pearls that hold their own with it - I'm happy! No clue how they might or might not have been treated. I bought those from UODORA and LucasPearl on etsy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results