shape
carat
color
clarity

Fresh water Tahitian pearls

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I was visiting my local jeweler, where I purchase most of my pieces. I saw a strand of what looked like Tahitian pearls. They were multi-colored--just the way I like them. I discussed them with my jeweler because they were on sale for $550. He told me they were fresh water Tahitians and that's why the price was that low. Evidently, fresh water Tahitians are dyed to make them look like top tier Tahitians. At this point in time, I cannot afford ocean cultured Tahitian pearls. Do these pearls sound like something that would be worthwhile or should I take a pass on them. I am new to pearls and any advice would be most welcome, including trusted vendors. Thanks :))

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
There is no such thing as a fresh water Tahitian. They are just dyed fresh water pearls. I would not spend that kind of money on dyed pearls. If you are ready to spend that much money on pearls there are many online sellers who will sell you nice real natural Tahitians for that. Look through some of the threads for recomendations to very good honorable online sellers.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
4Ranch Girl|1313365278|2990842 said:
There is no such thing as a fresh water Tahitian. They are just dyed fresh water pearls. I would not spend that kind of money on dyed pearls. If you are ready to spend that much money on pearls there are many online sellers who will sell you nice real natural Tahitians for that. Look through some of the threads for recomendations to very good honorable online sellers.

Thank you for the feedback, 4Ranch Girl :))

Exactly what 4RG said.

It angers me that these jewelers use terms such as "freshwater tahitians" :angryfire:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Oh, boy. :nono:

The jewelers descriptor is made up and the price is ridiculously out of line. I'm glad you came here before purchasing.

Sarah at Kojima has some that are the right price for what you're buying;

http://shop.kojimapearl.com/products/2-strand-lot-of-dyed-chinese-fresh-water-oval-pearls

These are $75 for two strands that she can make into a necklace for you for free.

Dyed freshies have a place in pearl land, but certainly not an expensive $500+ place.

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
There is no such thing as a fresh water Tahitian. They are just dyed fresh water pearls

Exactly, any pearl dealer that would lie directly to your face like this deserves to be out of business.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
PearlsOfJoy|1313427070|2991294 said:
There is no such thing as a fresh water Tahitian. They are just dyed fresh water pearls

Exactly, any pearl dealer that would lie directly to your face like this deserves to be out of business.
What he said!!!!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
PearlsOfJoy|1313427070|2991294 said:

In fairness to my jeweler, he told me that the strand was made of freshwater pearls, which were dyed to look like Tahitians. I'm not sure that he said the were freshwater Tahitians. When I saw the strand, I was excited to find a strand that had the colors that I wanted. I assumed they were Tahitians. The SA didn't know much about these pearls and got the owner. He informed me about their origin. At that point, I decided not to get them and came over to this subforum.

I have a lot more research to do before choosing a strand. There are so many varieties to look at. I'm sure that I will be back with questions. I appreciate your help :read:

PearlsOfJoy

Rough_Rock
Trade
well that sounds much more acceptable, we just deal with so many dishonest jewelers when it comes to pearls it can get my blood boiling sometimes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results