shape
carat
color
clarity

French Cut Eternity Band Style & would you do 1/2 or 3/4

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone. I was trying to decide between a solitaire and french cut setting for my 1.66 L AVC. After much thought, I decided that I really wanted a classic and beautiful solitaire for the stone. I am having Victor Canera make me his Trueste solitaire with double claw prongs instead of single.

http://www.victorcanera.com/jewelry/engagement-rings/the-trueste-solitaire.html

Since I really loved the french cut settings I have seen on Pricescope I decided to have him make me a wedding band with french cuts to wear along with the solitaire. That way I get to have my cake and eat it too =). I am trying to decide between a channel set french cut setting with double milgrain walls and a french cut bezel baguette setting like these styles ....

http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_item_detail.php?id=7314
http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/110-1-3913

Here are my questions ...

SInce my AVC is a warm color I can will have the french cut stones warm as well.

Which band do you think would look nicer with warmer colored diamonds?

Which band do you think complements an AVC better?

I have leave room for sizing with an eternity band because arthritis runs in my family and all of my female relatives have had to size up as the years go by. Should I go for a 3/4 eternity or would a half eternity look fine?

Victor is waiting patiently for me to get back to him. I would like to make my decision and have my rings made soon. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I prefer the 1st dibs band personally...

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Definitely the french cut band (dibs). Have you seen Pixley's set? Its absolutely stunning, you can check it out here to get a good idea of what your set could look like if you choose the frenchy bezel-set band. I absolutely love the contrast between the chunky cushion and the ec's (Pixley has mini EC's, but its a similar look).

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pixleys-wedding-set-is-all-done-single-stone-w-band-cushion-solitaire.92376/[/URL]

I would go for a 3/4 eternity (or just a small sizing bar in the back), only because I'm just not a half-eternity/5 stone fan myself. But that's just personal preference.

Oh, how I can't wait to see your set completed! Its going to be stunning no matter what you choose (and I love that you went with a solitaire- simple elegance all the way)!!!! :love: :love:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love the 1st band: bezel set with milligran. I think that would look fantastic with the vc setting. Just not sure how it would look as a 1cat/2 or 3/4 band. Love your taste, I've been looking at AVC's, too. (We even have the same taste in cats, I had a wonderful cat that looked like the kitty in your profile pic.)

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your opinions Yenny, Dani & woofmama. I love both looks - that is why it is so hard.

Thanks for the link to Pixley's set - it does look beautiful. Her cushion looks great with the emerald cut band - her cushion is an F color and I believe the band is also of a higher color. My AVC is an L and is definitely warm in color - I wonder if the warmer colored baguette french cuts would show a lot more color than the french cuts set in the channel.

I am leaning toward a 3/4 eternity (wish I could go full - but I don't want to risk it for later in life). I just hope either ring would look okay not being full eternity bands.

Newjewels

Shiny_Rock
How funny, I also just contacted Victor about making me a french cut band to go with my new cushion solitaire (mine is Leon Mege). I have been loving the cushion solitaires I've seen with graduated French cut side stones, so I asked VC about making a tapered French cut band like his Sophia setting without a center stone. He is not a fan of tapered bands and said uniform thickness would look better. He initially suggested uniform band width with diamonds halfway and engraving on the rest of the band, but I already have a Tacori band like that, so he came up with the bezeled idea and said the French cuts could be square, rectangular, or a mix of shapes.

I just googled bezel set French cut diamond band, and your post came up! I am having a difficult time deciding myself...my diamond is set so low,I'm not sure any band would really look great so I want to make sure it also looks nice alone.

I'll be interested to find out what you choose! :)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
i like both :) :)

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sig and Newjewels.

I like both too - so I couldn't decide for now. Instead of rushing a decision - I decided to just go ahead with the solitaire, wear it for awhile, try on some bands locally for style, size, half vs. 3/4 vs. full etc. to see how I like it in person. I know I won't be able to try a french cut channel set band or bezeled for that matter - but I think I can at least try on some channel set, prong set and alternating bezel set bands to get a general idea. It would have been ideal for Victor to make both the solitaire and the band together, but I found myself getting too stressed over making a decision for now. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Newjewels - your ring is beautiful! - it made me feel good that I decided to go classic with a simple solitaire too. In fact, I signed the work order on Thursday once I decided to wait on a band. Victor said it would take about 2 weeks - then I got an email from him the next day saying it will be done and shipped out on Monday. I know it isn't a very involved setting compared to all of the other beautiful rings he made for other Pricescopers - but to be done 4 days - Wow. Good luck with your decision - I will be following closely to see what you choose :wink2:

Newjewels

Shiny_Rock
Wow, Moosemom. That is fast! Victor is great :)

Thank you for the compliment on my ring...I really like it but it turned out much more "dainty" than I envisioned. I thought the band would be a bit wider. That's why I want to add a band to add a bit more substance. I am sure Victor will make you a gorgeous ring, I can't wait to see!

I do want to move forward with a French cut band, only hesitation is that soon some AVC melee will be available maybe?? Wouldn't a band with AVCs be TDF?

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
That is funny you say that Newjewels - I think that may be one of my major hesitations too. That is why I thought it best I wait right now. I talked with Sarah from GOG and she said that warmer AVR melee will be in soon, but warmer AVC melee might take longer. A band made with either would be TDF! There are just too many choices. :confused:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How interesting!

I much prefer the second - I like the way the line of diamonds isn't interrupted by the metal bezel ends.

Wow - 4 days?! Does the man sleep?

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
One more thing Newjewels - the beauty of the setting you chose is that you can add different bands to it to give it that substance. So, if we save maybe we can do both a french cut and a AVC band :cheeky:

moosemom

Shiny_Rock

I know! I think maybe he was glad that I finally made a decision and wanted to get it done - or he knows he is going to be working very hard on your beautiful design and needed to clear the books so to speak :wink2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moosemom|1318192886|3036670 said:

I know! I think maybe he was glad that I finally made a decision and wanted to get it done - or he knows he is going to be working very hard on your beautiful design and needed to clear the books so to speak :wink2:

Haha I fully expect to wait a month or two, but oh well, I knew what I was signing up for!

Your ring is such a lovely design :appl: I wonder, though, if you wouldn't have to go with quite weighty AVCs to appreciate the unique faceting? I would think such a band would be a good bit wider than say a french cut band could be?

Newjewels

Shiny_Rock
Yssie, that's probably true, and with it would come a higher $$!

So...I like Moosemom's idea: get a French cut eternity band now, and later on add an AVC eternity :love:

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I love the bezel band! I would do 3/4 eternity or a little more, but with the remaining spaces being solid metal shapes with milgrain that match the bezeled stones.

And an AVC band later too would be awesome:)

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your opinion Bella_mezzo. I love both designs and was trying to come up with solutions if I couldn't do a full eternity.

Your ring is such a lovely design I wonder, though, if you wouldn't have to go with quite weighty AVCs to appreciate the unique faceting? I would think such a band would be a good bit wider than say a french cut band could be?

I think you are right Yssie, thanks for your insight - I think in order to appreciate the faceting on the AVC's or AVR's I would need to go bigger in melee and it might overpower the stone in my solitaire or be too thick. Who knows? I guess I did the right thing by just ordering the one ring now. I can enjoy it and explore my options.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think 3/4 or 2/3rds. Past the half way point for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results