shape
carat
color
clarity

Freaking out- UPS lost my diamond!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My sister ordered a diamond from Superbcert, who UPSd it to our apt complex. UPS shows it was delivered and signed for by an Armstrong. Well, it''s not at the office where they receive packages, and there''s no Armstrong who works either in the office or who lives in the building. Help! UPS has contacted the driver who is supposed to call me any minute now. My sister hasn''t been able to talk to Barry yet. Am quietly freaking out.

jacksa

Rough_Rock
call the ups office after you speak to the driver if you get no answers. ask to speak to the local director/foreman/. If they really did deliver it, and the driver used armstrong as the name.--you WILL find an armstrong somewhere at a local office (not necessarily at the package delivery office). UPS lost 1300 in artwork which was signed for by a driver using the local director's name (that is UPS policy--at least my ups ground's policy--you have to pry for that information--they were not going to tell me!!)file a claim immediately if no answers by today!!! call superb and let them know what has happened as well. good luck.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Just so you know, Barry may not be available until Monday morning, he may have gone home early in accordance with the guidelines of the Sabbath to be home before it gets dark in NYC so don't think that he is ignoring your call if you don't manage to reach him by telephone or email... Call UPS, run through 'the process' with their customer service representative and then ask for a supervisor... Be polite, beg, let them know that you're losing your mind and hopefully you will illicit a caring response. It is likely that they delivered the package to an employee at the office of the apartment complex where you live, they tend to do this "to save time" although it usually results in the customer wasting time trying to locate their package...

On a side note, may we recommend to the other people who are lurking on this thread, please have your packages sent for station hold if you live in an apartment complex or if your employer has packages signed for by a mail room clerk... The insurance that is assigned to each packages is terminated at the point where "an agent of the recipient signs for the package" and said person employed by the owner of the delivery address, which is the apartment complex owner in this instance, is automatically the acting agent.

Also, be sure that the package is correctly labeled with stickers that require the signature of the person who the package is addressed to. They look like this:

fedx_signature_required.jpg

UPS is famous for losing jewelry packages which is why we won't use them even though Fed Ex is more expensive, the reality is that in terms of long term service, Fed Ex has been more reliable and therefore less expensive. We can actually trace our Fed Ex packages to the minute and have a designated security representative employed by Fed Ex and can reach him 24 hours a day... The last time we shipped with UPS, they delivered the package to an incorrect address in East Palo Alto (a literal war zone in the California San Francisco Bay Area) - three blocks away from the designated address on the airbill and we were informed that "a security representative would contact us within 72 hours" as you can imagine, we were ballistic. The last time we had a customer telephone us and tell us that he hadn't received the package, yet it showed as being signed for and delivered by Fed Ex the Fed Ex security team had the driver pulled over on the side of the road in Chicago within thirty minutes and was rummaging through his truck - they found the package, fired the driver and delivered the package to our customer personally... That's service and we're willing to pay a little more for it.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
OH NO! Meow!
6.gif
Hopefully the package will be found! Fingers crossed here for ya!
1.gif

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Crossing my fingers too....

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Well, everything got sorted out in the end. We called UPS several times, and finally they contacted the driver who said he did deliver it and the custodian signed for it in the mail room. So, at first the apt manager was puzzled by that information, and then fortuitously, the custodian himself happened to be walking by. Apparently, he DID sign for the package and put it in the meter room , not the mail room, and the kicker is, his last name isn't Armstrong either. I guess UPS must've misread the signature. He didn't remember signing until we asked him about it.

So, after some serious stress, all ends well and the stone is beautiful.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
phew!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW!! That was quick and LUCKY!!
appl.gif

I am so glad you found the package!!
9.gif

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad you found the package!

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Wow, congratulations on getting your ring finally. Yeah, I don't really pay attention to what name they say signed for some packages because do you notice that when you receive a package, whether or not you are the intended recepient, that they just want to get any name and sometimes they will not check if your name matches the box. Sad, but I guess it happens.
sad.gif
Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to recover your package before having a heart attack. I know I would be like running out of my mind and probably literally running after that UPS driver. I agree with the other poster, FedEx is nice and they do a good job, but also that they have a stipulation over any type of jewelry shipments and they just cover up to $100 loss. In any case, if you decide to send or return jewelry to a vendor then your good old United States Postal Service would do since they can offer you thousands of dollars of insurance to cover your package. Just a FYI.
2.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad that everything turns out well.

Also want to say big THANK YOU to niceice for sharing the shipping tips, the part usually overlooked by us potential customers!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
="padding-bottom:0;marginTop:0;marginBottom:0;">----------------
On 1/16/2004 4:15:24 PM yingh wrote:

<>Also want to say big THANK YOU to niceice for sharing the shipping tips, the part usually overlooked by us potential customers!
----------------[/quote]

I think this is the SECOND big thank you to Niceice. This same senario happened w/ a pair of diamond earrings a few months back. First, all retailers should make note to tell their consumers the tips. Second, how can we somehow make Niceice's information permanent on this board?

Glad things worked out for your sister!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
All's well what ends well. I am so relieved! I felt the pain for you!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I'm SO glad everything worked out and your sister's diamond is safe!

Is this the same sister you've purchased a H&A for a pendant necklace? Have you given her the necklace or are you for sure waiting until your wedding? Also, what did she get through superbcert????
9.gif
Sorry to overwhelm you with questions.

Michelle

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! I'm so glad it turned up. That could really ruin a day!

Now on another importantnote, when will you post pics of your latest purchase?

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I'm really happy for you the package is okay. I know how it must have felt! And congradulations on your new diamond purchase.
3.gif

michelejo

Rough_Rock
I don't think it's accurate that Fed Ex will not insure jewelry for over $100. I can't find any exclusions on it...maybe they only apply to ground? They charge for every $100 but they do it. I received my 3-stone via Fed Ex and I know it was insured for its full value. I have a Fed Ex acct and although I don't use it for jewelry, I haven't seen anything in their terms about exclusions of that nature.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 6:27:00 PM michelejo wrote:

I don't think it's accurate that Fed Ex will not insure jewelry for over $100. I can't find any exclusions on it...maybe they only apply to ground? They charge for every $100 but they do it. I received my 3-stone via Fed Ex and I know it was insured for its full value. I have a Fed Ex acct and although I don't use it for jewelry, I haven't seen anything in their terms about exclusions of that nature.----------------

Nope, unless they have changed their policy (recently) or you have your own shipper's insurance, Fed EX will *not* insure *jewelry* in excess of $500.00.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I was just at FedEx today. They do insure up to $50,000. BUt you're right, not by ground. And it has to be in your own packaging is what the lady told me.

Maybe the FedEx people dont even know what they are talking about.
wacko.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats!!! I'm so happy it turned up!

win

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Pheeew! I'm glad for you that everything turned out okay in the end.

jacksa

Rough_Rock
glad everything worked out!!

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
*Here comes Kmom, wiping sweat beads off her forehead...*

Phew!!!!!!! I was holding my breath as I was reading this thread. Glad it all worked out for you.

Please post pictures sometime.
1.gif

goldenringlets

Shiny_Rock
On a related note....

I just took my ring in the ring hospital for some minor surgery. After given me some paper work, my jeweler asked for my "password" - which surprised me.... apparently if you go out of the jeweler and drop your paperwork, this prevents someone else from going in a collecting the ring......

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 8:07:07 PM Leota wrote:

I was just at FedEx today. They do insure up to $50,000. BUt you're right, not by ground. And it has to be in your own packaging is what the lady told me.

Maybe the FedEx people dont even know what they are talking about.
wacko.gif

----------------

Unless their policy has changed *Jewelry* is an exception. I am certain of that. Many a time I had to have shipper's insurance kick in.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If a company is shipping a diamond to you, they can use FedEx, UPS etc but most likely will use their own PRIVATE 3rd party insurance coverage rather than the mailing service insurance options.

But if you are a customer mailing a stone to a vendor and don't have that 3rd party insurance like they do, the best way tends to be registered and insured through USPS according to a few of the vendors. I had more than one tell me that was the best way (USPS over FedEx and UPS)...I shipped off my Regent pendant to GOG this week, should arrive today or Monday, keeping fingers crossed. Talk about paranoid! We'll see.

As for shipping diamonds, if a vendor ships a stone, I would ask them to ship it to my local FedEx holding station and go pick it up there. That is what WF is doing with Greg's diamond. No way do I want them to deliver it to my house and chance something happening to it, esp since I am hardly ever home! I'd much rather get the call or note that it's there and stop by, sign for it and get it in person.

You can check FedEx and UPS websites to find out about their jewelry & insurance policies. I was researching them a while back because I was going to send the Regent pendant to Garry in AU...but there is WAY MORE coverage options in the US (for US to US) than there is for US to International, and there was nothing that would have been safe but not be very expensive...so I nixed the idea.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2004 6:27:00 PM michelejo wrote:

I don't think it's accurate that Fed Ex will not insure jewelry for over $100. I can't find any exclusions on it...maybe they only apply to ground? They charge for every $100 but they do it. I received my 3-stone via Fed Ex and I know it was insured for its full value. I have a Fed Ex acct and although I don't use it for jewelry, I haven't seen anything in their terms about exclusions of that nature.----------------

!!! VERY IMPORTANT !!!

Do NOT believe what the person behind the Fed Ex counter tells you about their ability to insure jewelry up to $50,000.00 because it is NOT an accurate statement! Fed Ex only insures jewelry up to $500.00 for non-commercial, non-approved specialty shippers! As a commercial shipper who has been approved by a special division of Fed Ex Security, we are authorized to ship jewelry items up to $50,000.00 on a per package basis and up to $100,000.00 with special approval, however this is not the same coverage that is available to the general public! It required all sorts of paperwork and in-depth analysis by Fed Ex and we are part of an experiment being conducted by Fed Ex to determine whether they are going to open this service up to the trade as a whole, as we recall we are one of about a hundred dealers who have been authorized to use this service...

When one of our customers needs to send a jewelry item back to us for return / repair, we overnight them pre-printed airbills with our account information embedded into the label in bar code format... All of the insurance information is encoded in the bar code as we understand it, value, etc. We don't want our clients trying to insure jewelry for themselves unless it is through the U.S. Post Office which is protected and insured on a Federal level... Please leave the insurance of Fed Ex and UPS packages to the people who do it every day because this is one of those instances where a little information, especially the wrong information can be very expensive!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
This is indeed the same sister (my twin and only sister) for whom I ordered the H&A stone for the pendant. I have to confess, I broke down and gave it to her early after I had it set. It was so beautiful, I couldn't help myself.
4.gif

And then my sister turned around and surprised me by saying she wanted to give me a pendant too! She knew I liked hers and wanted to indulge my growing obsession with diamonds, so I got to pick out the Superbcert stone myself. I just dropped it off to get it set.

It's a .36, H, SI2. I was a little nervous about it not being eye clean, although I know it's a small stone. But it's beautiful and indeed eye clean. And Superbcert gave excellent customer service too.

Thanks to everyone for their concern!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------

And then my sister turned around and surprised me by saying she wanted to give me a pendant too!
Thanks to everyone for their concern!----------------

That's pretty cool! Hope you both enjoy your pendants.

Michelle

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I emailed FedEx regarding insurance, etc. I've got the following reply (I like when a corporation talk to the customers
1.gif
):

FedEx does not offer insurance coverage. However, we provide
protection for your shipment based on its "declared value" - our
maximum liability in the event of damage or loss.

For more information on declared value:

· Go to our online terms and conditions:
http://www.fedex.com/us/services/termsandconditions/

· Select your desired FedEx service

· Select "Declared Value and Limits of Liability"

Here is the link: Declared Value and Limits of Liability

D. Except as limited below, the maximum declared value per package in any FedEx First Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx 2Day or FedEx Express Saver shipment is US$50,000. The maximum declared value per shipment for FedEx SameDay is US$2,000.

F. Shipments (packages or freight) containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of US$500:

6. Jewelry, including, but not limited to, costume jewelry, watches and their parts, mount gems or stones (precious or semiprecious), industrial diamonds, and jewelry made of precious metal.

8. Precious metals, including, but not limited to, gold and silver bullion or dust, precipitates, or platinum (except as an integral part of electronic machinery).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results