shape
carat
color
clarity

Freak diamonds...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Okay, here's what I'd like to know...

Have any of you experts, or experienced consumers out there ran a stone through the HCA, had it get a great rating (less than 1?), then upon actually viewing the stone decided it was not a good performer at all? Dull? Lifeless? Ugly? Huh? I know you don't proclaim the HCA to be an acid test, but what have you experienced?

Muddy

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have had no surprises..... The Ideal-Scope also allows no surprises. The HCA is an excellent indicator of performance.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I think it's also a matter of taste and illumination conditions.

I've heard that inexperienced buyers were not able to see a difference between HCA excellent and very good in office environment.

Some light leaking diamonds look nice while loose but not as good when set.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A couple of comments.

1. HCA does not see the stone and can not know about the symmetry. Some non symetric stones can look better, but most look worse.

2. If a diamond is on the shallow side and has very short pavilion mains it can appear very dark and lifeless. This is uncommon, but does happen.

3. We saw a stone the other day that was a dreadful anomally - it had very steep upper girdle facets - but an ideal-scope peek told us not to buy it.

Both these latter occurences are 1 in a 1000.

4. Were you looking at unset diamonds held in tweezers?
HCA assumes no light can enter the pavilion, where as many diamonds 'experts' do all their analysis with loose diamonds and are fooled by light leaking from behind the pavilion in diamonds that die when set.

The moral is hCA is a fantastic preselection tool, but we strongly recomend you use an appraiser or at the very least get an ideal-scope.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Okay, how about this stone, which measures up an awesome .3 ex-ex-ex-ex on HAC, but only has good symmetry? Waddaya think?

Shape and Cutting Style Round Brilliant
Measurements 6.53-6.59x3.92
Weight 1.01 Cts.
Proportions
Depth 59.8 %
Table 58 %
Girdle Thin to Medium
Culet None
Finish
Polish Excellent
Symmetry Good
Clarity Grade VS2
Characteristics
Color Grade H
Fluorescence none
:))

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Oh, good! Thanks so much for your reply, Leonid. Oh, by the way, I forgot to include the actual Sarin data, in case anyone can spot a problem that the HCA might not?

depth: 59.9%
table: 58%
crown.ang: 33.0 deg
crown height: 14.0% ---0.92 mm
pavil.ang:40.9 deg
pavil.depth: 42.9%
culet:1.1%
girdle: 0.76% - 1.37%

Starting to feel better and better about this SCARY purchase! :bigsmile:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
It souds like very nice stone. Plug the Sarin data into Cut Adviser.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results