shape
carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm in Maryland and we just got notice that we're closing early (3pm) and we NEVER close. I'll be going home and getting something cozy on for dinner and into some pjs!

Stay safe and dry, everyone!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have everyone in my prayers/positive thoughts.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My neighbors went back to check on their property and sent me a video...the worst of the storm is expected this evening through tomorrow AM as of now so you can imagine the devastation to come :((

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vUOK6WD1Go&feature=youtu.be

The beginning of the video is the water hitting over our entire bulkhead and deck...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Already outages in CT, and winds are just picking up. State highways closing at 1 pm. Stay safe everyone!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry, my friends in the NE. Stay safe!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1351520154|3294791 said:
My neighbors went back to check on their property and sent me a video...the worst of the storm is expected this evening through tomorrow AM as of now so you can imagine the devastation to come :((

The beginning of the video is the water hitting over our entire bulkhead and deck...

So so sorry to see that, Missy. At least you are safe where you are now. Are your neighbors now planning on staying???? If so, that's so crazy!! Have you heard from your parents?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1351520154|3294791 said:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy crap, Missy! Dust to you, lady!! Do you have impact glass?

iLander

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Missy, I'm thinking about you and your parents today. I know you must be stressed.

My office (in Boston) is open today, but hardly anybody is here. Public transit is closing at 2, so I need to get out of here soon. We lose electricity easily and are not high on the priority list for having it repaired. I'm hoping life with an 8-month-old and no lights won't be awful.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys!
NEL, praying for you and your family. Days without power and an 8 month old is not going to be easy so sending you good luck dust for your safety.

iLander- we do not have hurricane glass. They are Anderson windows and they were supposed to be good against what we normally get in the area but obviously that's out the door now. I have visions of the house being totaled. Not constructive I know. :((

LovesVintage-Stress cannot begin to describe my emotions at this time- I cannot reach my parents -power out by them so no word :((( and they do not even own a computer and I cannot get through on mobile lines because everyone is doing the same and circuits are tied up for now but I will keep trying. I am sure they are OK as of now because nothing on the news. Just hope it stays that way.

My neighbors are staying till they feel it dangerous enough to leave. Their coast guard son is with them (you can hear his comments about the grass in the video). I know they want to protect their house should their windows break etc and I trust they will leave in time before it gets to the worst of it tonight. I just wish we were there to do the same. I know you are all thinking I am stupid but until you are in the situation where you can lose everything it is difficult to judge. Objectively I know we are doing the right thing staying put in Brooklyn but emotionally I am torn up about leaving our home all alone to be devastated by Sandy. But I know our lives are worth more than our home and all the contents inside but I also know many of you understand how I feel right now. ;(

CharmedOne

Brilliant_Rock
Praying that everyone makes it through the storm safely. I'm in PA now originally from MD. Still have family there. The wind just picked up pretty good here. We brought everything in from outside but there are still trampolines and patio furniture still out in other people's backyards. Unfortunately, people here never listen. Our house got hit by a trampoline during the last storm and I had piles of metal in my yard and other peoples furniture. Luckily it hit the side of my house with no windows. I hope everyone fairs well and stays safe. Possessions can be replaced for the most part, lives can not. Please don't take any unnecessary risk. Please.

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Praying for everybody! I'm about an hour southeast of Boston and we're a coastal city. The wind has picked up, not too much rain so far. They evacuated the streets bordering the water earlier today. Hoping this is the worst of it.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
missy|1351522181|3294822 said:
iLander- we do not have hurricane glass. They are Anderson windows and they were supposed to be good against what we normally get in the area but obviously that's out the door now. I have visions of the house being totaled. Not constructive I know. :((

My neighbors are staying till they feel it dangerous enough to leave. Their coast guard son is with them (you can hear his comments about the grass in the video). I know they want to protect their house should their windows break etc and I trust they will leave in time before it gets to the worst of it tonight. I just wish we were there to do the same. I know you are all thinking I am stupid but until you are in the situation where you can lose everything it is difficult to judge. Objectively I know we are doing the right thing staying put in Brooklyn but emotionally I am torn up about leaving our home all alone to be devastated by Sandy. But I know our lives are worth more than our home and all the contents inside but I also know many of you understand how I feel right now. ;(

Missy, I know this sounds harsh, but sweetie, WHAT would you do if you were there? :confused: You can't stop the wind, the waves, any of that. I have no idea what your idiot neighbors think they are going to do. Do you think you can "fix" a broken window? With what? How? In the wind and rain? Think it through, what would you really do? Protect from looters? Why you? If you were a looter, would you pick a random beach house, or a jewelry store? House or appliance store? House or grocery store? Don't be silly, no one wants to wade through the streets to steal your TV.

Your neighbors need to leave NOW. There were people who stayed here during our last hurricane and they had a haunted look in their eyes for weeks afterward. Seriously. Then I had some other idiot neighbors leave during the middle of it, when it "got bad", and they took a video. The water threatened to wash out the bridge and the wind wanted to topple their car. It was horrifying!

Honey, be glad you are safe and stay there.

Sorry if that sounded harsh.

I seriously doubt your house will be totaled. I think, realistically, you might lose a window and get some wet flooring. The winds aren't high enough to tear off your roof (we 140MPH here, that tore off roofs, 85 will not). You might get some water in, but it won't total anything, you'll just have to dry it all off, and spray any mildew with bleach in 2-4 weeks. Tedious, but not devastating.

When you clean up, bring those flex glad bags, gloves, tape, BLEACH, bleach sprayer, gas chain saw, flashlights, drinking water, sponges, bucket(for toilet flushing) shop vac and heavy duty fans for carpet drying. Wear serious shoes, long sleeves, bring bandaids.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, Missy, I can imagine how hard that must be. We are all in uncharted territory and just powerless to do anything about it. The wait has been torturous and your mind just runs wild with images of destruction. Are you able to phone the local police in your parent's area to let them know that they are there in the house? Perhaps they would be more persuasive in talking them into leaving to go to a safe shelter.

Take care everyone - I expect to be without power at any time. Let's hope how soon this passes. . .

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MissGotRocks|1351525406|3294855 said:
Oh, Missy, I can imagine how hard that must be. We are all in uncharted territory and just powerless to do anything about it. The wait has been torturous and your mind just runs wild with images of destruction. Are you able to phone the local police in your parent's area to let them know that they are there in the house? Perhaps they would be more persuasive in talking them into leaving to go to a safe shelter.

Take care everyone - I expect to be without power at any time. Let's hope how soon this passes. . .

YES!! Excellent idea, MissGot. In our area, the police go door to door ahead of time and map out who's staying.

Call them now, Missy.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1351525197|3294852 said:

Missy, I know this sounds harsh, but sweetie, WHAT would you do if you were there? :confused: You can't stop the wind, the waves, any of that. I have no idea what your idiot neighbors think they are going to do. Do you think you can "fix" a broken window? With what? How? In the wind and rain? Think it through, what would you really do? Protect from looters? Why you? If you were a looter, would you pick a random beach house, or a jewelry store? House or appliance store? House or grocery store? Don't be silly, no one wants to wade through the streets to steal your TV.

Your neighbors need to leave NOW. There were people who stayed here during our last hurricane and they had a haunted look in their eyes for weeks afterward. Seriously. Then I had some other idiot neighbors leave during the middle of it, when it "got bad", and they took a video. The water threatened to wash out the bridge and the wind wanted to topple their car. It was horrifying!

Honey, be glad you are safe and stay there.

Sorry if that sounded harsh.

I seriously doubt your house will be totaled. I think, realistically, you might lose a window and get some wet flooring. The winds aren't high enough to tear off your roof (we 140MPH here, that tore off roofs, 85 will not). You might get some water in, but it won't total anything, you'll just have to dry it all off, and spray any mildew with bleach in 2-4 weeks. Tedious, but not devastating.

When you clean up, bring those flex glad bags, gloves, tape, BLEACH, bleach sprayer, gas chain saw, flashlights, drinking water, sponges, bucket(for toilet flushing) shop vac and heavy duty fans for carpet drying. Wear serious shoes, long sleeves, bring bandaids.

Dear iLander, no that doesn't sound harsh. You are absolutely correct. I am just losing my mind with angst and worry. Thank you for posting your thoughts- I feel better reading them. Maybe our house won't be totally devastated- what you wrote makes sense.
I'm not worried about looters at all but just about the glass backyard doors breaking and the flooding of the house with the water coming up to the doors. And breaking windows etc. I thought we could tarp any windows/glass doors that breaks and save the house but I guess that would be futile. Sigh, I am emotionally drained.

Thank you MissGotRocks.
Just spoke with my parents and they're OK. They refuse to leave. :(sad
It seems a number of their neighbors stayed behind so at least they are not alone.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
I am about an hour outside of DC due west and we have rain since last night, increasingly heavy, and the wind is gusty, but not sustained here yet. We still have power, but judging by what's going on in DC right now we expect it to continue to get worse here.

Thoughts and prayers with everyone affected by this storm, but especially those who are already without power and seeing the water rise.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you guys!
NEL, praying for you and your family. Days without power and an 8 month old is not going to be easy so sending you good luck dust for your safety.

LovesVintage-Stress cannot begin to describe my emotions at this time- I cannot reach my parents -power out by them so no word :((( and they do not even own a computer and I cannot get through on mobile lines because everyone is doing the same and circuits are tied up for now but I will keep trying. I am sure they are OK as of now because nothing on the news. Just hope it stays that way.

Missy: Why would anyone be thinking your stupid right now?!! Because you care? Because you're worried? Because you want to take care of what's yours? Because you wish and hope that somehow if you were there, there would be some miraculous thing you could do to keep damage to your house to a minimum? Honey, dust dust and prayers! We care about you - I know its hard to hear what iLander is saying, but you do know she's right - it just doesn't make it any easier.

I wish that there was some way you could all suspend worry, fall asleep, and wake up when its over... :blackeye:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Missy, don't know where you are at the Jersey, but my friend's family has had a home down in Lavalette for over 50 years. One block from the beach and 2 blocks from the bay. Her aunt (passed away 2 years ago) has a house there also and my friend's cousin who lives in Pt Pleasant checks in on the homes almost daily. They have been through zillion of storms down there and never had any big problems. Biggest problems were with the docks at the bay. Homes down there are built to withstand storms, though you cannot rule out someone leaving stuff outside that gets picked up by the wind and smashes into your house. Renters may do that, but the owners are smart and it is after season. The jetties may suffer damage, but I am sure your house is safe.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1351526720|3294864 said:
Thank you guys!

Missy: Why would anyone be thinking your stupid right now?!! Because you care? Because you're worried? Because you want to take care of what's yours? Because you wish and hope that somehow if you were there, there would be some miraculous thing you could do to keep damage to your house to a minimum? Honey, dust dust and prayers! We care about you - I know its hard to hear what iLander is saying, but you do know she's right - it just doesn't make it any easier.

I wish that there was some way you could all suspend worry, fall asleep, and wake up when its over... :blackeye:

LOL minousbiloux- that was my thought exactly- I said to my dh this AM that I just wish I could go to sleep for the next 48-72 hours. This dragged out scenario is killing me. :(sad
Thanks so much minous for your kind words. They really do mean a lot to me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soocool|1351527455|3294868 said:
Missy, don't know where you are at the Jersey, but my friend's family has had a home down in Lavalette for over 50 years. One block from the beach and 2 blocks from the bay. Her aunt (passed away 2 years ago) has a house there also and my friend's cousin who lives in Pt Pleasant checks in on the homes almost daily. They have been through zillion of storms down there and never had any big problems. Biggest problems were with the docks at the bay. Homes down there are built to withstand storms, though you cannot rule out someone leaving stuff outside that gets picked up by the wind and smashes into your house. Renters may do that, but the owners are smart and it is after season. The jetties may suffer damage, but I am sure your house is safe.

Thanks socool. We are right by Sandy Hook- near the Atlantic Highlands. The thing is, with this storm, it's all unprecedented. The length (slow moving), sustained winds, ocean surge, high tide/full moon etc. I appreciate your thoughts though and I pray you are right. That it will all be OK. A little water in the house I can deal with but a total monsoon where the house would be devastated I'm not sure if I am strong enough. I feel badly for my dh because I am not the rock I wish I could be.

I keep thinking of all those poor people I have seen interviewed over the years after they lost everything in a storm and remembering how badly I felt for them all and now I'm right in the middle of living it myself. It's almost surreal. Like how I felt during 9/11 when I was right there, seeing the people flee in the streets, seeing the total devastation, loss of lives and remembering thinking how could this be happening? It brings back all those floods of memories and feelings and it feels awful. I keep saying all that matters is that people stay safe. That my friends, family, and all the peope I don't know remain safe and that nothing else matters too much. That's the mantra I keep repeating. And all the PSers who are posting telling me it's going to be OK really helps too! Thank you guys so much!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy and all the others affected: continued prayers from me and hope that you and your loved ones (inclg your parents, Missy) will be safe and sound.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Phoenix.
Just have to say how much I love your new ring. Simply gorgeous- perfect in every way!! :love:
Sorry for the mini threadjack but your ring is so beautiful.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh I hope everyone stays safe, this storm is horrible.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
My heart goes out to everyone that has to deal with this storm. It's going to be one for the record books. As a safety and risk manager, my first concern is the safety of life. As devastating as it is to sustain damage to "things", they are only things.

Keep your loved ones close and safe!

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Son of a..winds are picking up and we're hearing sirens every so often. Come on 3pm!!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Our power is already starting to flicker and the worst of it is supposed to arrive in a couple of hours.

Just watching the Weather Channel, and why do they position their reporters in harm's way right near surging water? There has to be a better way to keep us informed.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think they should have filled handbags with sand to keep the water out, or go to canal street and load up on counterfeits to fill with sand. Would have made for a lovely photo. With all of mass transit shut down, how can they expect us to evacuate?

_1553.jpg

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Everyone is in my thoughts and prayers. Missy you're way stronger than you believe hon you will be more than fine xo. K so it's supposed to come our way (Quebec)sometime tonight, right now it's sunny out there but the winds are starting to pick up. Stay safe everyone and if you can just post once in a while so we know you're ok. Oh anyone heard from Kaleigh she mentioned she was solo, hope she's ok.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost my computer connection and cable television for a while this morning when the winds weren't even beginning to get started! Later they came back on. Now we have some moderate gusting and some light rain, the storm definitely hasn't yet hit here (southwestern Connecticut, which is on the water-Long Island Sound). When it does, I'll lose you guys. In the meantime, the flooding has started. I went out to a grocery store (yes, one was still open although most businesses are closed). I wanted to be able to bake while I was shut in without a computer connection or access to cable weather news. When I drove by a local park I saw that the pond had spread across the entire grass of the park. I've lived here all my life. The pond often overflows its banks and covers the small streets within the park, but I never saw it cover the entire park before. This seems ominous because it is hardly raining here yet, and the tides are probably not affecting that pond. Although they may be. The stream through the park does lead into the Sound. Maybe the water is backing up. If so, a large part of the town may be flooded! Much more than we are used to!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results