carat
color
clarity

Frankenstorm?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1351285158|3293124 said:
I monitor a forum called Storm 2K. It's for "weather enthusiasts"-LOL. There are several professional weather forecasters who post on it. All have been in agreement that they have never seen anything like this and it WILL be a storm of historical proportions

I should probably try to find this forum! The only time I ever turn on a television is if there is a snowstorm or a huge hurricane brewing. Even the presidential debates, which I love, I can watch/listen to from my computer!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's everyone doing?

I have 2 banana breads in the oven. Will freeze one, and plan to bake two loaves of whole wheat this afternoon! Still have to do some grocery shopping, get gas and cash. I have a feeling, based on events of last year, that there will be more trees on the ground than the town can handle efficiently, so expecting to be blocked in for some time. So, I'm focusing on food! ::)

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
We finished clearing off the porch and securing misc. yard stuff in the shed this morning. Temps are dropping and we have some spatters of rain, but no wind to speak of yet.

MIL is baking bread today and we need to put some gas in the car and get some cash out. We've gathered all our flashlights and candles and lighters and such in the living room so we can find them easily. It won't be gourmet, but we have a freezer full of hot dogs and a pantry full of soup so we won't starve in any case!

We live on an emergency evacuation route which means two good things for us: 1) our truck should be able to get us out and about in an emergency because our road will be cleared of debris first and 2) our power is generally one of the first to come back on because of traffic lights, VDOT stations, ect on the road. Because of these things, we have opened our house up for people to stay if we have power and they don't, especially a young couple we are friends with who have an infant- we are prepared to go get them if we need to.

So, we'll see how it all plays out. I feel prepared, but not in panic, which is the best we can do in these situations!

How are things shapingup for everyone else? Any trouble finding items you went looking for?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aviastar|1351446356|3294176 said:
We finished clearing off the porch and securing misc. yard stuff in the shed this morning. Temps are dropping and we have some spatters of rain, but no wind to speak of yet.

MIL is baking bread today and we need to put some gas in the car and get some cash out. We've gathered all our flashlights and candles and lighters and such in the living room so we can find them easily. It won't be gourmet, but we have a freezer full of hot dogs and a pantry full of soup so we won't starve in any case!

We live on an emergency evacuation route which means two good things for us: 1) our truck should be able to get us out and about in an emergency because our road will be cleared of debris first and 2) our power is generally one of the first to come back on because of traffic lights, VDOT stations, ect on the road. Because of these things, we have opened our house up for people to stay if we have power and they don't, especially a young couple we are friends with who have an infant- we are prepared to go get them if we need to.

So, we'll see how it all plays out. I feel prepared, but not in panic, which is the best we can do in these situations!

How are things shapingup for everyone else? Any trouble finding items you went looking for?

Sounds like you guys are well prepared! And your friends and neighbors are lucky to have you guys in case they need help!

I'm worried about my parents. My dad is almost 80 and my mom 70 and they refuse to evacuate and come stay with me or my sister. Their neighborhood is in a flood area and they always flood- even during minor storms. A mandatory evacuation was declared for their neighborhood earlier this afternoon but they won't leave. They also don't have a generator and I so concerned for their safety. They are so stubborn! MY dh would go and pick them up for them to stay with us but they refuse to leave their house. They want to do whatever they can to protect it but without a generator they just cannot the keep water out.

Praying for everyone's safety.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1351448592|3294186 said:

Sounds like you guys are well prepared! And your friends and neighbors are lucky to have you guys in case they need help!

I'm worried about my parents. My dad is almost 80 and my mom 70 and they refuse to evacuate and come stay with me or my sister. Their neighborhood is in a flood area and they always flood- even during minor storms. A mandatory evacuation was declared for their neighborhood earlier this afternoon but they won't leave. They also don't have a generator and I so concerned for their safety. They are so stubborn! MY dh would go and pick them up for them to stay with us but they refuse to leave their house. They want to do whatever they can to protect it but without a generator they just cannot the keep water out.

Oh, I am sorry you are so worried Missy! Any chance of convincing them that the best they can do to keep their home safe is to leave so they will be around to fix an damage later? Is there someone they respect enough as an authority who could talk to them in person- religious leader, police officer?

That's a tough situation and it only makes this already stressful storm worse, my thoughts are with you!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock

This is what is most fearful!! They're saying this is a one in 250 year event.THAT IS LONGER THAN WE'VE BEEN A COUNTRY!!
People, and more than a few, are going to die!

I'm not in the least a Chicken Little. I live in Oklahoma. Within the last 20 years we have had the OKC bombing, 3 major tornadoes, multiple wildfires (just off the top of my head. We are, as much as anyone can be, for disasters. THIS IS GOING TO BE MORE THAN A MAJOR INCONVENIENCE!!

More than a few people I know personally have lost close friends or loved ones who were First Responders during a disaster. If not for yourself and your family, please think about the health of the amazingly brave people who devote their lives to keeping others safe!

Please, pass this info on to all you know who may be affected by this storm.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Missy: I'm so sorry to hear about your parents and I'm sure you've tried everything with them. Are they people pleasers at all? If they are, is there anyway that they could come to understand that by staying they could be putting other lives in jeopardy, like first responders? Would that make any difference with them, or is their feeling visceral, mama/papa bear must protect what's ours - in which case a rational argument probably won't do much good?

Dust, dust, dust for everyone. I will be praying hard for your parents.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aviastar, good for you! We should all be so lucky as to have such thoughtful and compassionate people as you in our communities. Good luck and dust for you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to miss being disconnected from the computer! We have a generator this year, which we did not last year, but the computers aren't hooked up to it and-even if they were-we might lose cable and phone service so that the Internet part of the computer would go. (Why didn't we hook up the cable television-which we use when there is a weather disaster and at no other time-and the computers-to the generator?)

I don't know for sure that we'll be out of harm's way, of course, but I'm pretty sure that even if the generator works we'll be stuck inside the house due to downed trees and power lines and that I'll have no way to get news except the radio!

I still feel pretty lucky. We went for five days without lights or heat in the dead of winter last year. After four days of it I bailed out, but my father stayed. He was only 91 then, so I guess he was still young enough to take it! My daughter had gone to stay with relatives after the first cold night! (I'm in coastal Connecticut, not Canada or Northern Michigan, but it can still get cold!)

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Stay safe peeps...my thoughts are with you all as you try to prepare for the unknown.

In trying to update myself, I found this a few minutes ago - Missy I do hope you can persuade your parents.

frankenstorm-plea.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you aviastar,minous and Starzin. No luck with persuading my parents. They are go down with the ship type of folks. They will stay with their house no matter what :((
They have always been stubborn but it just gets worse as they get older I think.

We are getting hit hard at both homes unfortunately. AGBF, if you remember,we got the Generac generator for our NJ shore house after Irene and I am hoping it works properly. My biggest concern there is that the roof holds and that the windows hold. And that the generator works. We had to evacuate our Jersey shore home and we are now in our Brooklyn home- which is also supposed to be hit hard but fortunately we are not being asked to evacuate our neighborhood here. Though losing power seems a good bet and we don't have a generator here.

I'm most worried about my parents first and then our beach house second. I keep having thoughts it will be totally demolished and I feel sick about it. But my dh is remaining optimistic and whatever it is we will deal with it. He also feels my parents will be fine where they are so hopefully he is right on both counts!

What is freaking me out a bit is my neighbors at the beach house just emailed me and said they left and went to a hotel. The reason that freaks me out is that he is a tough ex-marine and has never evacuated before though it was also mandatory during Irene. So ofc that concerns me. As of yesterday (when we last saw them) they were staying to keep their house safe no matter what. And now they did an about face and left. I am glad they will be safe but worried that they felt it necessary to leave. That is really serious if they left.

Thinking good thoughts for everybody and praying for everyone's safety!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
USEFUL LINKS!! :wavey: :wavey:

I know my way around the NOAA site pretty well, and I thought I'd post some links to try to be helpful.

This is the storm surge map. You can adjust the surge amount, zoom in to show your area;
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/205341.shtml?gm_psurge#contents

Water vapor loop, eastern seaboard. This is JAVA in case you want to see it from an iPad
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/loop-wv.html

Same view, Flash this time; http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html
Remember, if it's not showing water, that's where the WIND is.

Here's all the radars in the U.S., you can make them show motion by selecting "Loop" on the left side of the screen
http://radar.weather.gov/

Standard NHC Sandy screen; http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents

READ the discussion! :wavey: :wavey: This is where the NHC tells you what they think, and it's updated frequently.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT3+shtml/282056.shtml?????

NOAA has become VERY accurate over the past 3 years. If you remember a storm older than that, that turned out to be nothing, that doesn't count.

They have new computer models that are unbelievably good, and I base that on spending almost 15 years of paying attention to their models and guidance (by necessity).

The back end of this storm is all wind. I am feeling it here, and the storm has passed us, and we are feeling it. Much more on the back end than on the front end.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1351462118|3294333 said:

Aviastar, good for you! We should all be so lucky as to have such thoughtful and compassionate people as you in our communities. Good luck and dust for you.

Thank you for your kind words! My momma raised me right :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will be praying for all my friends in the northeast!!! We are FOUR hours inland and we had heavy damage from Hurricane Hugo many years ago and no power for 7 days. It is something you never forget. So I take these storms seriously.

Take care everyone! (And those of you with iphones, try to update us if you can!)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Missy, and all, I'm sorry if I came across as cruel or insensitive. I guess it comes from the clothing collections, cases of water, and debris clearing we've been involved in here in OK. It is heartbreaking to watch a family realize they have lost everything, but amazing gratitude that they are all still together. :blackeye:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1351468663|3294395 said:
USEFUL LINKS!! :wavey: :wavey:

I know my way around the NOAA site pretty well, and I thought I'd post some links to try to be helpful.

This is the storm surge map, I have it set for surge over 5 feet. You can adjust the surge amount, zoom in to show your area;
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/205341.shtml?gm_psurge#contents

Water vapor loop, eastern seaboard. This is JAVA in case you want to see it from an iPad
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/loop-wv.html

Same view, Flash this time; http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html
Remember, if it's not showing water, that's where the WIND is.

Here's all the radars in the U.S., you can make them show motion by selecting "Loop" on the left side of the screen
http://radar.weather.gov/

Standard NHC Sandy screen; http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents

READ the discussion! :wavey: :wavey: This is where the NHC tells you what they think, and it's updated frequently.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT3+shtml/282056.shtml?????

NOAA has become VERY accurate over the past 3 years. If you remember a storm older than that, that turned out to be nothing, that doesn't count.

They have new computer models that are unbelievably good, and I base that on spending almost 15 years of paying attention to their models and guidance (by necessity).

The back end of this storm is all wind. I am feeling it here, and the storm has passed us, and we are feeling it. Much more on the back end than on the front end.
ilander, immense thanks for all the useful links!! I'm humbled and ashamed at the way I've approached this. You are such a blessing to this community!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1351469513|3294400 said:
Missy, and all, I'm sorry if I came across as cruel or insensitive. I guess it comes from the clothing collections, cases of water, and debris clearing we've been involved in here in OK. It is heartbreaking to watch a family realize they have lost everything, but amazing gratitude that they are all still together. :blackeye:

Thank you Uppy, I know it came from a place of caring and concern.
I am sorry you had to live through such horrible storms and am glad you came through A-OK (no pun intended LOL).

I guess all this is just doubly aggravating because I am such a risk adverse person and did my due diligence before we bought this house but you cannot (usually) predict the unprecedented. :(( The main thing is first that everyone stay safe of course but the thought of losing so much is just awful and scary and I wish I could maintain a positive attitude because that's really all I can do at this point. Being optimistic is just not my strong point much to the aggravation of my dh LOL.

iLander, I agree those links are very useful. My dh has been following NOAA too.

LovesVintage, those banana breads sound awesome...I think I can smell them from here! :lickout:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
missy said:
What is freaking me out a bit is my neighbors at the beach house just emailed me and said they left and went to a hotel. The reason that freaks me out is that he is a tough ex-marine and has never evacuated before though it was also mandatory during Irene. So ofc that concerns me. As of yesterday (when we last saw them) they were staying to keep their house safe no matter what. And now they did an about face and left. I am glad they will be safe but worried that they felt it necessary to leave. That is really serious if they left.

Don't be freaked, be grateful that this time they have decided to err on the side of caution because he stayed in the past. I'm just thankful they decided before it was too late. I know some people leave the decision to evacuate until they can't.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1351470281|3294408 said:
missy said:

Don't be freaked, be grateful that this time they have decided to err on the side of caution because he stayed in the past. I'm just thankful they decided before it was too late. I know some people leave the decision to evacuate until they can't.

Yes, you are right. The main thing is that they will be safe for sure. What is freaking me out is that I know him and he is a tough bird and the freak out part comes from what his leaving implies. Not that they left (I'm glad they left) but why he left knowing him as I do.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Not looking forward to losing power for 2 weeks like we did with Irene. But at least this time, National Grid has been put on notice to do a better job restoring power than they did last time.

Stay safe everyone.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Picture taken at 6:30 pm eastern time at Nags Head, NC. It is not snow. It is sea foam being blown across from the storm surges. :o

AP Photo - High winds blow sea foam into the air as a person walks across Jeanette's Pier in Nags Head, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 28, 2012, as wind and rain from Hurricane Sandy move into the area. Governors from North Carolina, where steady rains were whipped by gusting winds Saturday night, to Connecticut declared states of emergency. Delaware ordered mandatory evacuations for coastal communities by 8 p.m. Sunday.

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/10/28/3045855/ap-photos-images-of-the-approaching.html#storylink=cpy

531001_10151124396928379_67515916_n.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1351472346|3294430 said:
Picture taken at 6:30 pm eastern time at Nags Head, NC. It is not snow. It is sea foam being blown across from the storm surges. :o

Wow, that is a scene that is new to me.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, thanks for all your information. It is incredibly helpful. Full of practical advice and info sites. Spoken from your hard earned experience.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage|1351289750|3293183 said:
decodelighted|1351268480|3292904 said:
Loves Vintage|1351193597|3292311 said:
I haven't heard much about the storm, but bought a generator today! We were without power (including no running water!) for 5 days and 3 days with the storms last year. Intended to buy a generator, then delayed spending the $$$, but then called around to get one today. Lowe's is already sold out. Fortunately, our local hardware store had one, and my DH is picking it up right now!
Thanks for posting this LV ... we'd totally spaced on checking local hardware stores but my husband ran out the minute I mentioned it and now we supposedly have one of their Sunday delivery of them. I'll believe it when it's here but it's better than no hope!

Deco, One more thing - you may want to stock up on gas containers and a 240v extension cord (if you need one for a well pump, for example.) Our closest Lowe's is out of both, and my DH reported that three other shoppers came up to the same area looking for the same thing in the few minutes that he was there. We do have smaller gas containers, but I forget how much gas this generator takes to run for just 10 hrs, but the few containers that we have are smaller and wouldn't fill it to go the 10 hrs. Just sharing the little I'm learning thru DH since it sounds like you'll be a first time generator owner too.
Thanks LV! We're in good shape for extension cords & did manage to get one 5 gallon container & already had a 2 gallon. We've filled the generator w/ a bit over seven gallons & refilled the containers. Hope that's enough for the worst of it. :-o

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY! I'm stress eating baked Cheetos and my belly hurts. Gah.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If its any consolation, I'm sure there's stress eating all over the East Coast about now :(sad :errrr:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping all the PSers at the East Coast will remain unharmed. We are well stocked up and the grocery store shelves are all empty. The rain has already started but so far, it seems normal.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in northern NJ, at my mother's house about a half hour from NYC and am hoping against hope we don't lose power - no electricity with a frail, elderly person with dementia = not fun. I'm so mad and cranky about this storm - totally useless emotions, I know - but I can't help it!

Good luck to everyone, I will be thinking of all my PS friends affected by this stupid storm and I hope we all make out ok!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm praying for you guys from here in the UK! :errrr:

Hope you're all out of harm's way. I've been in a hurricane before in a country with no warning system where thousands died. I was lucky to live. You can't underestimate these things so I hope you are all on safe ground already x

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Prayers and prayers for all of you today. Stay safe, dry, hold tight to your loved ones, and somebody catch Al Roker if he flies by.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stay safe, everyone. Prayers outgoing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results