carat
color
clarity

Four prongs, chunky claws?

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I really wish this could be a happy post in smtb about my new ring, but I simply do not love the prongs. The center stone is 1 ct and I have been obsessively looking in the under 1ct thread to understand if four prong settings in this size always look this chunky? I have seen settings with four prongs before IRL, but with smaller RB diamonds, and I think the prongs looked smaller.

In the jewelers defense, I said I wanted a durable ring and that I was worried about only four prongs (I have only had 6 prong settings before, with nice tiny prongs, but smaller diamonds...). Also, he did say "since it is a cushion we have to have it made by hand". I guess this is all my fault for not understanding what that meant correctly. When I mentioned the prongs now that I got the ring I was told they have to be this big.

Maybe four prong settings simply don't work for me? Or maybe it is a matter of getting used to it? Please say I will get used to it. I see a reset in the future.... Eight tiny prongs?!

Any thoughts?

I am sorry I haven't got any more pictures, I had to give the ring back for sizing.

(I am also not liking how one of the prongs is just ever so slightly larger than the others.. hand made heh? oh well)

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Uh, no, I don't think the prongs have to be like that. But it doesn't sound like this jeweler can handle the job. Maybe try a different jeweler, and show example photos of the look you're hoping for? Prong tips can be finished much finer than this.

Also, this same thing would drive me nuts. So you're not alone!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
rubybeth: Thank you for your input! I think you are right... :(sad

ETA: and thanks for adding it would drive you nuts too! It is really reassuring, I felt so silly for noticing and being annoyed by it...

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are settings that are supposed to look like that, to make it look more square than the actual stone. But if you didnt specify that, then its certainly is kind of 'off'. I agree, time for a new jeweler to make some more delicate prongs.

Beautiful stone though! cant wait to see the finished ring.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
telephone89 said:
I agree, time for a new jeweler to make some more delicate prongs.

Beautiful stone though! cant wait to see the finished ring.

Ditto!! Those prongs are waaaaay chunky and not in a pretty way. It would bother me a LOT!! Hope you find a jeweler that can do your stone justice. It is gorgeous! :love: :cheeky:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! I'm sure the right* jeweler can fix these prongs...take pictures with you so they know what you want.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone is beautiful!! But those prongs have got to go. :nono: i agree with finding a new bench to do the work.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The prongs on the vast majority of rings are approximately that chunky, in my experience. What you see on PS is by no means "normal," just "Pricescope normal," and you need a jeweler that is more skilled and possibly a different setting in order to get the more refined prongs.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
Those prongs don't compliment the stone in any manner. It might be a secure setting but I would opt for a claw prong setting instead.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the prongs are awful and I would not be happy. I honestly don't think you'll get PS quality prongs at most local jewelers. You can try finding a setting on here and ask them if they can redo the prongs into claws, but there is the risk that they don't have the skill to do it. Most of the claw prongs you see here on PS are on expensive settings by very excellent bench jewelers. If I can be totally honest, I don't even think the flat shank of that setting is flattering to your pretty cushion diamond.

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
I don't see this setting as fixable, it's the design. I agree with everyone saying this setting does nothing for your beautiful stone.

You should print out everyone's comments and take it to the jeweler and tell them it sucks and that PSers say so too! :lol:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your honest replies!! :wavey:

This is my first experience with this jeweler and to be honest I think it may be my fault for not being more clear about what I wanted (and also trying to save some money, because as you noticed, the setting is not on the expensive side at all) :saint: . As telephone89 and some of you pointed out, I think this design may be for settings that are supposed to make the stone look more square and it simply got far too big on my cushion and I don't even want that look. I don't know really, I am just trying to understand.

Anyhow, I will give this jeweler another chance to make it better, but I have a feeling I will have to go somewhere else in the end... I am considering changing the setting to double claw instead as I think it may suit the cushion better... :wall:

FancyIntense said:
You should print out everyone's comments and take it to the jeweler and tell them it sucks and that PSers say so too! :lol:

I don't think this is necessary! :lol: ;))

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh and also! Thanks for your nice comments about my diamond! The pictures truly doesn't do it justice, I only took them to remember the setting, or rather, the prongs. I tried to take a photo of all the rainbow colors shooting from the facets but it was simply impossible to capture! Hopefully I will have better luck with my photos when the ring is finished....... :wavey:

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Hi aca

I have exactly the same problem with my new ring and a thread about it on here.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ice-re-prongs-for-my-new-asscher-ring.216135/

I met with my jeweller just this morning and he has already fixed the prongs in his workshop - BUT I haven't seen the new ring yet so I can't say whether the modification is successful.

I will post tomorrow once I've picked it up.

If it's not great, I'm going to get a new setting next year, something bespoke. For now I think I have spent enough money on myself!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Californiadreaming|1443098043|3931225 said:
Hi aca

I have exactly the same problem with my new ring and a thread about it on here.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ice-re-prongs-for-my-new-asscher-ring.216135/

I met with my jeweller just this morning and he has already fixed the prongs in his workshop - BUT I haven't seen the new ring yet so I can't say whether the modification is successful.

I will post tomorrow once I've picked it up.

If it's not great, I'm going to get a new setting next year, something bespoke. For now I think I have spent enough money on myself!

Thanks!!! Very informative thread too, I saved some of the images! So sad to hear you had to go through this too. :nono:
Fingers crossed it will be better this time around and please post pics too!
I hope my jeweler will respond like yours did and hopefully with a nice result in the end. Will keep you updated.

Oh love that wedding band btw!! :love: :love:

Californiadreaming

Rough_Rock
Thank you I love it too! :love:

And as others have pointed out, your stone is just beautiful.

I will post pics on here tomorrow - I am not expecting perfection, I am just hoping for prongs that let the diamond do the talking.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
eally wish this could be a happy post in smtb about my new ring, but I simply do not love the prongs. The center stone is 1 ct and I have been obsessively looking in the under 1ct thread to understand if four prong settings in this size always look this chunky? I have seen settings with four prongs before IRL, but with smaller RB diamonds, and I think the prongs looked smaller.

I don't think most stones that size have prongs like that. I know mine don't (and its just a JA setting) I have friends who have bought 50-80. Point stones with settings from CVB to Blue Nile, all ranging in quality, but non with prongs like that. I'm sure people in the real world people will notice, but you will, so get what you'll be happy with

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Aca, of course it's not necessary, it was a joke based on all the PS feedback and support! :rolleyes:

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FancyIntense said:
Aca, of course it's not necessary, it was a joke based on all the PS feedback and support! :rolleyes:

And I laughed when I read it, I really didn't take it as a recommendation. :loopy: It's nice that you added some humor to this situation, and I see now that my response may have been a little unclear. :wavey:

Niel: Thanks for your feedback on that. It seems to me (but I am not a jeweler) like a rather simple setting and I still don't see why they made the prongs this large. Good to hear that it shouldn't be necessary to add a brand or designer name to get nice prongs too. If they don't manage to do it this next time I will take the advice to go to another jeweler... and make sure to see what they can do before committing to them.

Californiadreaming: Thanks!! Fingers crossed! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's still a beautiful ring, BTW!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
*Update*

Again, thank you for all your comments before. I am updating this post now to show you the result.

I picked up my modified ring today. I think the jeweler did a really nice job! Still a little wonky as some of you may see from the large photos, but have decided that I'm not going to ask them to redo it once again. The issues I have with it are barely noticeable in real life. I like the ring and the prongs now, but I am realizing that this beautiful diamond probably needs a more vintage setting. I will live with it for a while, but I am already planning a reset. I will definitely take my time before deciding on that one though... :saint:

edited to add: I just wanted to clarify that the jeweler was very nice and wanted to help me get my ring the way I wanted it! I simply feel that since I am already planning another design it was not worth it complaining again.

//aca :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The size of the prongs are much better now! You really stare at the stone and not the prongs any more!!!

Very nice

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty! :appl: :appl: :appl:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much, Much better. I also love how your diamond looks in yellow gold - it's nice to see more yellow gold being used these days!

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you tyty333, derbygal & VRBeauty! :wavey:

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, three cheers! What a difference that made! Your set is gorgeous, btw. Really really lovely.

acaw2015

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
RetroTreeGal said:
Oh, three cheers! What a difference that made! Your set is gorgeous, btw. Really really lovely.

Thanks for your nice comment! :wavey:

I'm starting to like the ring more and more. I had some more issues with the setting initially, other than only the prongs, and I think that all of these problems combined have made it difficult for me to fully appreciate my new ring. It feels better now that it's on my hand where it belongs. :))

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks much much better, for a "temporary" setting it is perfectly fine. Enjoy wearing it!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning set! Love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results