shape
carat
color
clarity

Found the diamond... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

locke

Rough_Rock
I found a diamond at a local B&M store, but this is as far as my pricescope education takes me. I am getting it set in an 18k gold ring with two 5x3 pear shaped rubies on the side (.51ct total). The rubies are a "good quality" whatever that means, all I can tell is that the color is a very deep red. All in all the ring is costing me $840. What kind of services should the store be offering me (routine maintenance, money back guarantee, etc.)? I don''t really know what to expect so I was wondering what was typical.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Usually the store''s policy is written on the store receipt/appraisal. My store offers 6 month free check ups, which keeps their lifetime warranty intact. You might want to call and ask. Here''s hoping you won''t have any problems. The ring sounds beautiful!

locke

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julia. I will check with the store, but I''d like to go in with some knowledge of what other stores may be offering so that I can bring it up if they leave that out of the discussion. Anyone else have any suggestions?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Locke. Congrats on your purchase - it sounds nice!
1.gif

Since you are having the diamond set, rather than buying a pre-set ring, you may want to make sure you like the setting first. I'd want to know exactly how it will look - how delicate the setting is, how wide is the band, if the baskets are heavy, etc. It would stink to get the ring and then hate the setting. Also, have you seen the rubies? I would want to make sure I like the rubies too before going through with the setting.

I would expect that the jeweler would size the ring for you to your GF's finger size for free. If you don't know her size, ask if they will size it later and if so, what the charge would be. If they want to charge you, I might reconsider.

You may want to ask what the upgrade policy is, or if they even have one. Many of the PS vendors will give you lifetime upgrades on a diamond purchase, so you can trade-up easily.

I have found that most jewelry stores, whether you deal with them or not, will clean your jewelry for you and check prongs for security. These aren't special services. What may be important is the warranty - what if a prong breaks, etc.

Hope this helps.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVE rubies!! Sounds yummy!

locke

Rough_Rock
Thanks Starryeyed. I never thought I''d have to put so much thought into the setting! Fortunately I knew her size so that wasn''t a big deal. I took your advice, and found out that the store''s upgrade policy allows you to trade in your old diamond at the price you paid. They also offered free cleaning and inspection every 6 months. I didn''t look into the warranty, but shouldn''t this be something that is covered by the insurance policy anyway?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Locke. Make sure you get the upgrade policy in writing. I would still ask about the warranty. Sometimes a setting might not be cast quite right and you have a problem. You really should minimize your insurance claims, if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results