shape
carat
color
clarity

Found setting, confused on diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DeviousOne

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone. This is my first post, so be gentle. I''ve found a setting I liked for my GF''s engagement ring but I am having some difficulty finding a diamond for it. I thought I knew the basic, Cut, Clarity, Carat, etc.. But as I started looking, i stumbled upon these forums and came to a realization I know nothing!
33.gif

I have around a $6k-7k budget for the diamond and I am looking for the best value for the money. I was trying to find a 1.5ct, but I''m seeing I might just be able to get a 1.2ct diamond within my budget. The color of the diamonds which are in the setting already are G, so I want something similar.

I like the thought of purchasing it from somewhere which allows you to upgrade down the road if you decide.

This is one I''ve found so far:

Carat Weight: 1.31ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Cut: Very Good
More Details:
Depth%: 74.5%
Table%: 75%
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Slightly Thick to Very Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.18x5.92x4.41mm
Lenth/Width Ratio: 1.04

Price on this one is $7,017.00

I don''t know what half of these numbers mean, but I''m trying to figure them out.
34.gif

Any help, feedback, or direction to other diamonds is greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I''ve seen some very beautiful rings on here.

sideangleviewring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is for a princess cut diamond? Do you have any pictures? Fancies like Princess cuts cannot be judged by the numbers. IS and ASET would be helpful too. You can ask the vendor for these if you aren''t sure what they are.

DeviousOne

Rough_Rock
Yes it is for a princess cut, sorry I didn''t clarify this in my original post. I have to call to get the GIA certificate, as I can''t view it online. Although I was able to the other day.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
First let me say welcome!

There are several things about that diamond that raise some flags.

-Not square
-Good polish and symmetry (prefer at least Very Good on both, Ex on Sym if possible)
-Very thick on girdle--could be hiding some weight there
-table larger than depth--usually the reverse is preferred

Each on their own is not that bad, but all added together would make me pass on this one.

I did a quick search on GOG, WF & HPD and didn't really see anything in your size and price range. For that budget, you should be able to get something in the 1.25 range and these three vendors all have good trade up policies. It might be worth a call to one or two to see if they can find something for you.

Generally, you want to stay within two color grades of the sidestones, so you could easily look at H & I colors to maximize budget and still have a very white stone if well cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2009 11:39:32 PM
Author: jet2ks
First let me say welcome!

There are several things about that diamond that raise some flags.

-Not square
-Good polish and symmetry (prefer at least Very Good on both, Ex on Sym if possible)
-Very thick on girdle--could be hiding some weight there
-table larger than depth--usually the reverse is preferred

Each on their own is not that bad, but all added together would make me pass on this one.

I did a quick search on GOG, WF & HPD and didn''t really see anything in your size and price range. For that budget, you should be able to get something in the 1.25 range and these three vendors all have good trade up policies. It might be worth a call to one or two to see if they can find something for you.

Generally, you want to stay within two color grades of the sidestones, so you could easily look at H & I colors to maximize budget and still have a very white stone if well cut.
Good advice from Jet. You can do better than this diamond most likely and without detailed photos and ASET images it is very difficult to tell much about these shapes, at best the numbers only give a chalk outline.

DeviousOne

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I''ve searched on various sites and have yet to find something else. I''ll keep looking and thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results