shape
carat
color
clarity

Found Same Diamond On-Line for Less $$$

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lori_vanness

Rough_Rock
I have been working with a certain Jeweler to locate the perfect diamond for my engagement ring. He has indicated that he will match any prices that I find on BlueNile.com. This week he showed us a beautiful round brilliant diamond, quoting us a certain price. However, in our on-line research last night, we found the same exact diamond (based on GIA Cert #) being offered by about six different on-line retailers....for about $1500 less than our Jeweler is quoting us. Our dilemma...do you think our Jeweler received the diamond from the same broker that the other on-line retailers use? Or do you think he received the diamond from the lowest priced on-line retailer? We are thinking of asking our Jeweler to match the lowest price we found on-line, but want to make sure he will make a profit as well. We really like our Jeweler and don''t want to screw him...but we also don''t want to get screwed
1.gif
Any advice...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
your jeweler is working with the same suppliers that everyone else is working with. there is no way in the world he is going to get ''screwed'' by you. he''s in business because he knows how to do business. if he sells you a diamond, he WILL make a profit. so don''t worry about trying to keep him in business, that''s not the way it works!
2.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lori,

There is at least a partial explaination here.
Your jeweler will still be making money even if they match prices, they just make less than they wish they could - don't we all.
7.gif

They may be offering a better program than the cheapest online dealer in other ways. Consider issues like warranty, setting, trade in, convenience and community participation as well. Sometimes it not about the rock bottom prices.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the other option is showing him the price and asking him how closely he can match it--knowing you still won''t get rock bottom. A B&M jeweler may not be able to match an online price, but OTOH I believe good customer service is worth a certain premium.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results