shape
carat
color
clarity

Found my sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
I began a search for a sapphire in December thinking it would be a simple thing to do. Boy was I wrong! I asked for help, read a lot of old threads and searched till I was exhausted. However, I am now happy to report that I have a sapphire. It''s not in my possession yet but I do have this picture to post. I hope you don''t mind but I am so proud of it that I had to share with someone. It''s not a very big photo so please indulge my excitement! Also thanks again to those who gave advice and pointed out where to learn more about sapphires.

2 42ctBSapphB.JPG

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Congrats! It sure looks pretty! Don''t forget to post photos when you get it.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
30.gif

What a gorgeous stone! Looking forward to seeing it set!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that stone is gorgeous... the color is beautiful. Richard does wonderful work. Please post lots of pictures.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I love sapphires!

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Thanks ladies! I am looking forward to setting this beauty. It''s funny how everything just fell into place. Wink Jones informed me that Richard would cut stones with flat facets if the customer so desired. Richard is really great to work with as is Wink. They were very patient with my many questions and I am so pleased with my decision to work with them. Richard understood my desire for a sapphire not cut in the concave fashion and was able to find a stone for recutting at Tuscon. Then he performed his magic. I''ll try to provide photos when the project is completed. I''ve never tried photographing jewelry before.
Now, all I have to do is decide how to set this beautiful sapphire!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Fabulous stone!

I''m also a big fan of Richard''s normal cutting - he sourced and recut some stones from Tucson for me last year (also via Wink).

I''m glad you went the traditional route - the colour of that stone is outstanding. Is Wink going to do your setting? (He did my e-ring to my own design plus a matching w-band and a couple of e-rings for friends and relatives of mine)

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Holy moly!!! That stone is stunning!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great sapphire and great cutting. It looks almost "antique-y". I do wish Richard Homer would do more traditional faceting as he really knows how to bring out the best in the rough.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful. Please take alot of pictures and post, we don''t mind!!
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful beautiful color - it''s a stunning stone!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I dig it..that stone looks like it has PERSONALITY! I nearly worked with Wink once...I think he''s one of PS''s most patient and sweet vendors. I like that cut...I liked the concave stuff for awhile, but I don''t think I''d get lost in it like some of the more traditional stuff. Richard did a great job and looks like a stone you can definitely get lost in. Please post pics when you get it!!

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Pandora, I am exploring how to set the sapphire. I want to make sure I do it justice.

Upgradable - Holy Moly is right. I believe those were the words Wink used as well! LOL

Chrono - I think Richard does a great job with any style he cuts. It''s just his love is the concave cuts but he is willing to cut a stone/rough in whatever fashion the customer wants. I was concerned that I would tire of a concave cut so I opted for a more traditional cut. I''m quite pleased with the results. I get the antique vibe also. I would like to carry that over to the setting in some way. Ideas?

Mochi - I''ll do my best to get pictures. I am a bad PS''er since I''ve never photographed my diamond ring. In my defense, we had an antique camera until Christmas that didn''t have a macro mode.

BEG - thanks for the compliment. I like your happy banana. That''s kind of how I''ve felt since I opened the email with the picture this morning.

TGal - Yeah it does have personality doesn''t it! Wink is very patient and always seems to have a smile on his face even if it is over the net.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
That looks like a beautiful stone, so rich and velvety looking :).

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love it! I got a sapphire ring recently too, so I can appreciate how hard it is to find just the right one! What are you thinking of doing for the setting? I know Wink carries the Vatche line. I thought a lot about going with the Vatche Grace and I ended up going with the Ritani Endless Love. I love a halo around a sapphire :) I could also see yours looking stunning with diamond sides - maybe baguettes, in the classic Harry Winston style? I can''t wait to see what you end up with. The stone looks really stunning, in both color and cut. Well done!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
WOW such BLUELUSCIOUSNESS!!!

I love the cut and the colour!

LS

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great cut, great color - that stone is beautiful
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see your pics of it!!!! It looks like a gorgeous blue!!!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
The stone looks beautiful, and I''m not exactly a sapphire person so consider that a huge compliment
9.gif

I''d wait untill the stone arrives before deciding on anything, cause you have to see how the color IRL mathces that on the photo, and also you have to see how it looks in different lighting conditions.

But if the tone of color is anything like it is in this photo (medium light blue), white metal would be the only way to go. I agree it has something antique about it (due to the cushion shape) and it''s a great idea to follow that with a ring design. Untill the stone arrives think about things like:

- ornamentations you like in rings - if you like any (engraving, filigree, granulation etc.)
- your hand shape/size
- your finger shape/size
- height of the ring''s profile
- proportions between the sapphire and possible side stones

That should be enough to keep you entertained for the next couple of days
2.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone!!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone. I love the color.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my goodness. I think I just fell in and got lost in that sapphire! SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
That is one beautiful stone. Aren''t Wink and Richard just the greatest guys? Congratulations!

secondhandnews

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the new compliments!!!

TanDogMom - I have seen your lovely ring and I too love a sapphire with a halo. I have also toyed with long tapered baguettes. Great minds think alike! Decisions, decisions.

Wow, I feel quite honored to have received a compliment from Lost Sapphire!! Your gorgeous sapphire was an inspriation to me during my search.

Mr. Mare - Again, you provide lots of thought provoking points.

Mercoledi, Yes Wink and Richard are both great to work with and honorable gentlemen.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/3/2009 8:44:58 AM
Author: stepcutnut
Lovely stone!!!

Wow! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Will you share the story of it with us? I will check the follow topic box so as not to miss it.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you all for the many kind words. It should arrive tomorrow, I think I might be just almost as excited to see it as our OP.

She did ask a lot of GOOD questions and was very clear about what she wanted. That makes it VERY easy for Richard and I to do our jobs!

As the wonderful Paul Harvey would have said, "Stand by for NEWS!"

Wink

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Well, what to say that hasn''t already been said? Great colour and great cut. Now all it needs is a great setting to turn it into a great piece of jewellery!

Congratulations.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OMG that is SPECTACULAR - I love the vintagey cushion feel to it, but at the same time that color and the brilliance of Richard''s cutting - can''t wait to see pics of this beauty IRL
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 9:41:08 PM
Author: Wink
Date: 3/3/2009 8:44:58 AM

Author: stepcutnut

Lovely stone!!!

Wow! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your avatar. Will you share the story of it with us? I will check the follow topic box so as not to miss it.

Wink

StepCutNut Ditto, that''s been your av for a while but I missed the explanation. I did see that stone at a vendor though, maybe artcut gems? Please tell us more!

Wink- Any chance you''ll be sending pictures to secondhandnews that she can share with the rest of the class? It looks like such a wonderful stone.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2009 11:03:14 AM
Author: mercoledi

Snip

Wink- Any chance you''ll be sending pictures to secondhandnews that she can share with the rest of the class? It looks like such a wonderful stone.
LOL! I suspect once she gets her strength back she might share... gonna guess the knees are a little weak right now...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results