shape
carat
color
clarity

found my Pinkish/Orange Sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

supercheesewiz

Rough_Rock
Under a different light, it gets much more intense.

pinker444b.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovely color

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
purty!! how are you planning on setting it? (did i miss the original thread?)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovely!

movie zombie

supercheesewiz

Rough_Rock
Well, this stone is for an engagement ring. I wanted to pick the stone, and then design the setting. Soooo, i'm sketching away. Fortunately, i'm a product designer by profession, so I will be building a computer model of the design and shipping it off to a jewler with a 3 axis mill, to mill the wax. Should be interesting anyway. As of right now, it should look clean and architectural, which suits our personality. Here are some concepts, but it's just to get a feel for the scale.

supercheesewiz

Rough_Rock
I know, a little stiff, but i''m still developing concepts and refining the shapes.

concepts888.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Love the color of the stone and the fact that your designing the setting.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 2:59:56 PM
Author: innerkitten
Love the color of the stone and the fact that your designing the setting.
Me too. Keep us posted as you go along!!!
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, the stone is lovely. i can''t wait to see the setting you design.. that is so cool..

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 8:58:47 AM
Author: supercheesewiz
I know, a little stiff, but i'm still developing concepts and refining the shapes.
Wow! Lovely stuf...

I wonder if the sapphire would benefit from having the girdle protected in some way in such a setting?

This is what I have in mind when writing this:

Whitney Boin's solution:

post.gif
Link to designer's website

And ... I hope you find the profile of the setting below (striped of pave, lowered...) similar to the second one in your drawing:

r323-10W.jpg

My 2c. I am not sure how neutral/bad is to have the girdle of the stone exposed, just thought I'd mentioned in case you might want to ask a jeweler about their experience with frequently worn rings. I know the finish of sapphires eventually wears off, but whether they are prone to chips is another story.

Also, from the drawing is not cleat whether the pavilion of the sapphire would be held protected between the walls of the setting

MTG_M_0683.jpg

... or the stone would be exposed floating more or less above it. 'Guess that, as well as the width of the band would make a sizeable difference.

Just an idea
1.gif

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
I love the color of that stone. I love sapphires!!!

supercheesewiz

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the many kind coments and info. I'm not sure about the protective 360 bezel set, since I'd like the stone to "breath" a little. I also had no idea that a sapphire could lose its polish. It is my understanding that sapphires are a bit tougher than diamonds, when it comes to chipping. Anyway, had some time to work on the ring for a bit, so I decided to throw up an update. I'm still not sure if this is unique enough for me, but it was fun to render up, and get all the settings right. Oh well, what do ya'll think?

pinkyyyy2.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2006 1:05:31 PM
Author: supercheesewiz

I'm still not sure if this is unique enough for me, but it was fun to render up, and get all the settings right. Oh well, what do ya'll think?
Well.. wow!
9.gif

If you stay with this version, than there is something lucky about it - it comes close to a couple of rings (the ring below is listed by Ron Davidson Designs, but many other shops have veru close matches - Icestore and DimendScassi, and there was one with a color treated blue diamond on the Show Me The Ring forum recently...). Which means a custom order will come on some 'beaten track' and have better chances of success than something totally outlandish.

Here's the thing:

Yellowknife%20Diamond%20Engagement%20Ring300.jpg

About protecting the girdle... weel, I don't have to agree that the ring is safe - the jeweler making it will surely give a much more reliable opinion. In fact, since it became clear in the last rendering that the width of the ring will more or less match the width of the stone and the ring will not be too high... it looks safe to me too. The rings with bezels in my previous post are both higher and with narower shanks.

Something tell me you may find some of the designs on THIS SITE would make good inspiration. Well, at leats the moderninstic 'clean' style seems related in spirit with your drawings
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know THESE GUYS ?

The designers ate Krikawa seem to have fairly unusual ideas about what oval stones may be set in. There is more where these come from :

R-E-CarvedCurls-chnl.jpg

R-EngMokCurlsSide.jpg

Someone mentioned the hsop on the forum ages ago on a thread about Mokume Gane. I don''t know anything more about them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results