shape
carat
color
clarity

Found My Chrysoberyl

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
After much searching, and some great advice from the forums, I''ve found my Chrysoberyl. In the pictures are two of them, one I bought off of Ebay for a lark and the one I am going to use for a solitaire ring. The one I am using is a Richard Homer concave gem (#5568 it''s still on his site). My pictures aren''t quite as good and don''t really do it justice but the stone is great and I love how it changes color and when it''s green it''s amazing.

DSC_0022.jpg

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Number 2

DSC_0025.jpg

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Number 3

DSC_0027.jpg

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Both stones look a lot better in person. These are my first gemstone pictures and clearly I need some work.
26.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing to do, is make sure both stones are cleaned extremely well - wipe off all the oils and grime.
Turn off the flash feature of the camera because it causes glare and washes out the colour of the stones.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the tips. I forgot my diffuser on the photos and the flash sucked the life right out. I''ll have to play around with this more.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I love chrysoberyls; they''re so underrated (outside of PS, that is.) I can''t wait to see how you plan to set it.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Cool stones! Congrats on finding them
36.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interesting. I''d love to see more photos. Would you say they are yellow with some green tint?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2009 11:15:16 PM
Author:jbnyc
After much searching, and some great advice from the forums, I''ve found my Chrysoberyl. In the pictures are two of them, one I bought off of Ebay for a lark and the one I am going to use for a solitaire ring. The one I am using is a Richard Homer concave gem (#5568 it''s still on his site). My pictures aren''t quite as good and don''t really do it justice but the stone is great and I love how it changes color and when it''s green it''s amazing.
ooh... I love his concave gem. do you have a setting picked out?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on finding your chrysoberyl. Richard is so talented at concave cutting! I''m sure you''ll enjoy it for many years to come.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
I''ll take some more pictures when I''m back home and try to really capture what they look like. They definitely change color depending on the light. I''d say they have a strong green tint to them but at times look very yellow. (I know it''s not a great description, but it really is a great chartreuse color).

I''m having a setting designed, one I have some decent pictures of it I''ll post them, along with the finished product.

The stone is great but I can''t wait to see it set.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn''t chartreuse an equal blend of green and yellow? I''m trying to refreshen my colour palette in my mind.
2.gif

jbnyc,
I''m looking forward to the new pictures.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Indeed it is, the problem is the darn thing won''t stay the same color
20.gif

It definitely looks a bit greener in direct sunlight, well as far as I can tell, it''s been overcast when I''ve had time to investigate so I''m making a bit of an assuming from the natural light I have seen it in.

I guess what I''m trying to say is it is yellow green and depending on the light one seems to overpower the other. (I really need to get better pictures because I realize I''m doing a terrible job of explaining myself :) ).

Hopefully I''ll get them up this weekend when I get back home.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They sound very interesting. I look forward to seeing more photos.

Did your jeweler say anything about how easy/hard it is to work with Chrysoberyl?

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW....love this color!!! Awesome find!!!
36.gif

Lori

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Ok back from a business trip so I thought I''d try taking some photos again. This one seemed to turn out much better than previous ones (thanks to advice!).

The jeweler didn''t mention any problems with Chrysoberyl but it is 8.5 on the Mohs scale so it is a good hard stone for daily wear in a ring.

The color is just so awesome I can''t wait to see it set in 18k gold!

chrys.jpg

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
That picture is in incandescent light using a macro lens. It''s a much better representation of the color than my other photos but not a good representation of all the brilliance. Tomorrow I may try to take some pics outside, just gotta figure out where to do it since I have no yard and the parks will be packed! Any suggestions?

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Your photos are looking better! I think getting better is really a matter or practice and trial/error. Have fun, see what works best for your camera.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
One more for tonight. Camera auto settings and flash on to try and get some of the brilliance in the photo.

chrysflash.jpg

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ice Kid. I have a good camera but not a great "stage" for photos, but like you said just gotta use the old trial and error method and refine, refine, refine.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The latest picture shows the chartreuse very well and what I would expect. It''s beautiful!
30.gif

No, don''t use the flash...it just killed all the colour out of the chrysoberyl in the last picture.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have a further away shot of the stone on your hand or something, with no flash?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I love chrysoberyl. Try shooting it in diffused natural sunlight--and block some of the light with your hand--something that works for me--helps bring out the color that I see. I also block some of the light when I shoot diamonds--yields good pics.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very neat stones.

jbnyc

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. I met with the jeweler this weekend and got the design all figured out. I can''t wait to see the 3D rendering.

t_l here is another shot, further back. This is in indirect sunlight through a window. I''m going to try and get more shots but this was an easy one to do.

chand.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results