shape
carat
color
clarity

Found and bought the perfect Whiteflash ACA but..

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
Hello everyone! :) I would really appreciate any and all opinions!

My boyfriend and I have been looking at diamonds for a few months. We originally wanted a 1.3-1.5 ct, I color, SI2-SI1, GIA EX/EX/EX, but after becoming increasingly educated thanks to Pricescope, our specifications have changed quiet a bit. We are both very particular and I can usually notice inclusions even in 'eye clean' VS2's. We have seen literally hundreds of diamonds in stores and always leave disappointed and underwhelmed. The diamonds are dull, full of inclusions, and don't even start me on the idealscope view!

Because of our new found pickiness, we decided a Whiteflash ACA was the way to go. Perfect cut, angles, light return.. We were sold. However, a 1.3-1.5 in the cut, color and clarity we wanted was way out of budget. We had narrowed down a few options ranging between 1.0 and 1.3 ct and with the help of Whiteflash staff, chose the smallest of the choices but otherwise the most appealing. It is a 1.07 ACA, H color, VS1 clarity and it is absolutely stunning. It is whiter and clearer (and more sparkly) than any diamond we have seen in stores. Everything about it is perfect. I have tried on numerous stones in 1.0-1.1 ct size and have never felt they looked too small (I'm a ring size 4.5) but we both feel like a little bigger would be ultimately better. We've continued to search for stones even after purchasing in case a 'better' one comes up before the setting is made. However, we haven't been able to find a noticeably bigger stone that is the same quality or better than the one we have within our (increased) budget. We essentially want the diamond we already have with a little extra weight :lol:

Like I said, we have never felt like a 1.0-1.1 ct looked small but we unfortunately come from cultures where 'bigger is better.' We have been to numerous jewelers that provided many of our friends and family members stones and have been told outright that people ask for the biggest stone they can get for X amount of dollars. Color, clarity, cut, etc. excluded. Since most jewelers in our area and our family/friends aren't educated on diamonds beyond the carat weight, we feel nobody will appreciate the actual beauty of the stone we chose. Ultimately, I know nobody's opinion but ours matters but I can't help but already feel like were being pressured into buying/having a larger stone.

Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

I will attach some photos of our stone.

_663.jpeg

_664.jpeg

_665.jpeg

screen_shot_2015-11-03_at_1.png
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
11,227
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

I will attach some photos of our stone.

It's a question only you can answer, but since you asked ;-) ...

You won't be appreciating it only on paper, you'll also get to appreciate it on your finger once you get it set. And let me tell you, I love :love: watching the light show my diamonds put on when I wear them! A poorly cut diamond simply is not going to put on the same light show.

And BTW if your alternative is a lesser quality diamond that's only a little bigger - don't even consider it. Unless you're comparing them side-by-side, your diamond will look larger than a smililarly sized diamond that's not as well cut simply because your diamond returns more light.

Also consider that you're getting a good upgrade policy with that WF ACA, and hopefully you'll be able to use that policy on some future anniversary. Assuming, of course, that you're willing to part with your beautiful diamond at that point.
 

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 29, 2014
Messages
4,224
Everyone has different preferences. If YOU enjoy the preference of cut, knowing that yours will the sparkliest diamond in the room, then that's great! Someone else might enjoy having the largest diamond in the room, even if it doesn't sparkle. Someone else might want only a D colour and know that theirs is the iciest of all, and someone else might want a FL knowing that there are no inclusions in it. A lot of those things are things that are only 'admired' on paper. But people want them. So to say your preference is any less important is not true!

I will say, that if you dropped to an Expert Selection, possibly in an I you will be able to eek out a bit more size, and still have one of the best cuts available (especially if your comments about your current circle are correct).

EDIT- unless you are kim kardashian, most people will never have all of the above. A very large D FL is out of range of most. So we find a compromise somewhere in the middle :)
 

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
14,202
Rosiepink, I was also going to suggest that you look at the Expert Select diamonds, perhaps an I as telephone said, they are very well cut and high quality stones as well.
 

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
1,514
You have to do what makes you feel comfortable. I assume, since you came to PS, that you wanted to be educated in selecting a well performing diamond so that is something that is very important to you.

You have to decide if you --
a) want a big diamond that doesn't perform as well as you would like. Will the sub-par performance always be in the back of your mind?
b) want a smaller diamond that is a stellar when it comes to performance. Will the smaller size make you self-conscious?

If I were you, I would get the best performing diamond that will be mind clean as far as performance for you and stick it in a halo so that you get some extra finger coverage.

I have a 1.25 BGD Blue that is set in a simple platinum solitaire setting. Recently our family went to a party hosted by one of DH's co-workers. His wife has a diamond that is easily 2.5 - 3 carats and is set in a beautiful setting with diamonds on the shank. I noticed that DH's co-worker kept looking at my diamond. Why? Because my BGD Blue won't be ignored and is an attention grabber. I catch people staring at her all the time. She is just so beautiful :love: .

All the best with your decision.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
33,852
I'll always pick a well cut smaller stone over a bigger poorly cut stone. Size means nothing if IT doesn't perform.. :wink2:
 

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
1,514
I agree with DancingFire.

The diamond that I described in my previous post is big, but it is either not the best cut and/or not as clean as it should be therefore it simply takes up space rather than engaging viewers by creating the fireworks show that mine does.
 

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 16, 2007
Messages
5,767
This is what halos or three stones are for, the impact of a halo or a three stone with smaller stones can be amazing!
 

Speedie

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
20
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

My feeling is that if it is the stone you truly love, then hang everyone else's opinion. If you switch it for a different stone then there's a good chance that you will always wonder what might have been, and you don't want to look at your ring with any twinges of regret. Besides, I have my doubts about the average person being able to tell a 1.1ct from a 1.3ct unless they're literally right next to each other any more than they can tell a VS1 from an IF without a loupe. The difference is around 0.3mm to 0.4mm at most. Go with your gut instinct.
 

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 26, 2015
Messages
1,491
The other alternative is try to find an ideal cut stone that isn't super ideal cut through vendors like jamesallen and doing the legwork yourself (requesting the idealscope/hearts arrows) etc.

You may strike yourself a bargain with a bigger stone with ideal performance and near ideal H&A but they are quite hard to come-by without paying the premium for the very top of the range. Chances are it won't be the same performer as your ACA but you certainly achieve a slightly larger diamond for a similar price with good performance, but it'll take a lot of effort.

That ACA diamond looks truly splendid and it would be almost a crime to compromise on quality and your dream stone for the sake of others! If size really matters, WF have an excellent upgrade policy where maybe you are financially in a position to upgrade.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
33,483
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper.

What's wrong with "appreciating on paper"?
Lots of people clamor for the privilege of going into debt for years to pay TONS of money for paper degrees from top Universities.

A huge pile of $100 bills is is only paper.
Marriage certificates are on paper.
The U.S. constitution is on paper, as is the bible, the koran, etc..

Apparently what's on paper matters a lot.
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
VRBeauty|1446575238|3945187 said:
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

I will attach some photos of our stone.

It's a question only you can answer, but since you asked ;-) ...

You won't be appreciating it only on paper, you'll also get to appreciate it on your finger once you get it set. And let me tell you, I love :love: watching the light show my diamonds put on when I wear them! A poorly cut diamond simply is not going to put on the same light show.

And BTW if your alternative is a lesser quality diamond that's only a little bigger - don't even consider it. Unless you're comparing them side-by-side, your diamond will look larger than a smililarly sized diamond that's not as well cut simply because your diamond returns more light.

Also consider that you're getting a good upgrade policy with that WF ACA, and hopefully you'll be able to use that policy on some future anniversary. Assuming, of course, that you're willing to part with your beautiful diamond at that point.

Thank you for your input. Do you have any posts of your stone? I'd love to see it, it sounds beautiful! I am concerned that since the stone (therefore facets) are smaller it might not look as sparkly or firey as a larger stone with larger facets. However, I had the same concern that a slightly bigger, lesser quality diamond wouldn't provide any noticeable size difference either way. We have no plans to upgrade so that's why we want to be sure we were making the right choice!
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
telephone89|1446576420|3945199 said:
Everyone has different preferences. If YOU enjoy the preference of cut, knowing that yours will the sparkliest diamond in the room, then that's great! Someone else might enjoy having the largest diamond in the room, even if it doesn't sparkle. Someone else might want only a D colour and know that theirs is the iciest of all, and someone else might want a FL knowing that there are no inclusions in it. A lot of those things are things that are only 'admired' on paper. But people want them. So to say your preference is any less important is not true!

I will say, that if you dropped to an Expert Selection, possibly in an I you will be able to eek out a bit more size, and still have one of the best cuts available (especially if your comments about your current circle are correct).

EDIT- unless you are kim kardashian, most people will never have all of the above. A very large D FL is out of range of most. So we find a compromise somewhere in the middle :)

I totally agree, is it bad that I want it all? :lol: Unfortunately, we don't have a Kanye West budget. We have checked expert selection and found some great stones but nothing spectacular enough to make us want to exchange our current stone. We originally started looking at I color, but after seeing so many stones in person we have become extremely color sensitive! We would like as colorless as possible and have been told by numerous Whiteflash staff that this H looks closer to a G, which we agree with. Thank you for validating our preferences. It's so nice to hear opinions from people with similar desires!
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
junebug17|1446578413|3945218 said:
Rosiepink, I was also going to suggest that you look at the Expert Select diamonds, perhaps an I as telephone said, they are very well cut and high quality stones as well.

Thank you! We have also been checking expert selection. Since we have become so color sensitive over the past few months, we really would prefer to stick with H or higher.
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
CRYSTAL24K|1446579542|3945231 said:
You have to do what makes you feel comfortable. I assume, since you came to PS, that you wanted to be educated in selecting a well performing diamond so that is something that is very important to you.

You have to decide if you --
a) want a big diamond that doesn't perform as well as you would like. Will the sub-par performance always be in the back of your mind?
b) want a smaller diamond that is a stellar when it comes to performance. Will the smaller size make you self-conscious?

If I were you, I would get the best performing diamond that will be mind clean as far as performance for you and stick it in a halo so that you get some extra finger coverage.

I have a 1.25 BGD Blue that is set in a simple platinum solitaire setting. Recently our family went to a party hosted by one of DH's co-workers. His wife has a diamond that is easily 2.5 - 3 carats and is set in a beautiful setting with diamonds on the shank. I noticed that DH's co-worker kept looking at my diamond. Why? Because my BGD Blue won't be ignored and is an attention grabber. I catch people staring at her all the time. She is just so beautiful :love: .

All the best with your decision.

This makes me feel so much better! Sub-par performance would definitely always be in the back of my mind if we decided to sacrifice cut. I too notice very large stones that are essentially duds because they are included or not cut well. I definitely don't want dull, I want fire! :love: It is hard to visualize how the stone will look in a setting though. Hopefully it's a performer! :)
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
Dancing Fire|1446580458|3945238 said:
I'll always pick a well cut smaller stone over a bigger poorly cut stone. Size means nothing if IT doesn't perform.. :wink2:

This is how we feel as well. That's why we are having a such hard decision.. we want both! :lol:
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
Asscherhalo_lover|1446588401|3945296 said:
This is what halos or three stones are for, the impact of a halo or a three stone with smaller stones can be amazing!

I absolutely adore halo's but prefer a solitaire for my engagement ring! However, a Soleste style halo would definitely come in handy right about now. ;-)
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
Speedie|1446592035|3945330 said:
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

My feeling is that if it is the stone you truly love, then hang everyone else's opinion. If you switch it for a different stone then there's a good chance that you will always wonder what might have been, and you don't want to look at your ring with any twinges of regret. Besides, I have my doubts about the average person being able to tell a 1.1ct from a 1.3ct unless they're literally right next to each other any more than they can tell a VS1 from an IF without a loupe. The difference is around 0.3mm to 0.4mm at most. Go with your gut instinct.

Thank you for this! We have compared 1.1 to 1.3 and unless they are side by side, the size difference is not even indistinguishable. We actually thought the 1.1 (HOF) was bigger. :whistle:
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
gm89uk|1446593485|3945344 said:
The other alternative is try to find an ideal cut stone that isn't super ideal cut through vendors like jamesallen and doing the legwork yourself (requesting the idealscope/hearts arrows) etc.

You may strike yourself a bargain with a bigger stone with ideal performance and near ideal H&A but they are quite hard to come-by without paying the premium for the very top of the range. Chances are it won't be the same performer as your ACA but you certainly achieve a slightly larger diamond for a similar price with good performance, but it'll take a lot of effort.

That ACA diamond looks truly splendid and it would be almost a crime to compromise on quality and your dream stone for the sake of others! If size really matters, WF have an excellent upgrade policy where maybe you are financially in a position to upgrade.

Thank you for the compliment. We also feel like it would be a crime, haha! All of the stones we were considering have since been sold and I don't mind at all. However if we sent this beauty back and it sold I would be devastated! Whiteflash has an amazing upgrade policy but due to sentimental reasons, we have no plans to upgrade. We want the perfect stone the first time!
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
kenny|1446594182|3945351 said:
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper.

What's wrong with "appreciating on paper"?
Lots of people clamor for the privilege of going into debt for years to pay TONS of money for paper degrees from top Universities.

A huge pile of $100 bills is is only paper.
Marriage certificates are on paper.
The U.S. constitution is on paper, as is the bible, the koran, etc..

Apparently what's on paper matters a lot.


Hahah! :lol: I guess I can't argue with that.. :clap:
 

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
16,635
There are a lot of folks here (including myself!) that started with a much smaller stone than they have today. Most people can't afford a huge diamond when they are starting out. You have purchased a very well cut stone from a company with a great trade in policy. That will be available to you all through the years so your larger diamond or ultimate stone doesn't have to be had today. I agree with others; size is not very important if the diamond doesn't sparkle!

Enjoy this very special stone that you both love for the time being. It might be 10 years before you are ready to revisit trading it in - things like houses, kids and life in general take center stage for quite awhile during a marriage. Don't feel bad because you can't have it all today - that's what the future is for!
 

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
7,128
I think that what strikes me about your question is that you feel like you paid premium for what others will not appreciate. In other words, no one will realize that you spent a good chunk of money or even more money than they did on their ring. I think that matters to you. But the majority of PSers will not relate to your concern BC above all they value overall quality. But it seems like your social circle does not and that matters to you. Since you have admitted that you are very picky and dfont want to go down in color or clarity or up in budget, it seems like you have made up your mind. But I still find your question very thought-provoking. I wonder if you will constantly compare your size to everyone else's and if that might make you unhappy. I'm playing devil's advocate here BC I get the impression that size is very important to you and you have come to a forum that overall doesn't prioritize size. If I were you, I would up my budget now and go bigger. There is a size difference between 1.1 and 1.3. I would up it to a 1.5 BC that's a very nice size and you don't want to upgrade in the future. It's a lot cheaper to get it right the first time than to upgrade later anyway. That much I have learned.
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
MissGotRocks|1446597795|3945383 said:
There are a lot of folks here (including myself!) that started with a much smaller stone than they have today. Most people can't afford a huge diamond when they are starting out. You have purchased a very well cut stone from a company with a great trade in policy. That will be available to you all through the years so your larger diamond or ultimate stone doesn't have to be had today. I agree with others; size is not very important if the diamond doesn't sparkle!

Enjoy this very special stone that you both love for the time being. It might be 10 years before you are ready to revisit trading it in - things like houses, kids and life in general take center stage for quite awhile during a marriage. Don't feel bad because you can't have it all today - that's what the future is for!

Thank you for your kind words. <3
 

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 26, 2015
Messages
1,491
If you don't mind posting your budget I'm sure someone will help you hunt / advise you whether your ambitions of getting an ideal cut ~1.3 of your specifications is possible with a quick look. If you have enough money in reserve, you can even buy one of them and compare it to your ACA to have full closure that you've made the right decision! (as long as the vendor has a full money back guarantee)
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
nala|1446599452|3945394 said:
I think that what strikes me about your question is that you feel like you paid premium for what others will not appreciate. In other words, no one will realize that you spent a good chunk of money or even more money than they did on their ring. I think that matters to you. But the majority of PSers will not relate to your concern BC above all they value overall quality. But it seems like your social circle does not and that matters to you. Since you have admitted that you are very picky and dfont want to go down in color or clarity or up in budget, it seems like you have made up your mind. But I still find your question very thought-provoking. I wonder if you will constantly compare your size to everyone else's and if that might make you unhappy. I'm playing devil's advocate here BC I get the impression that size is very important to you and you have come to a forum that overall doesn't prioritize size. If I were you, I would up my budget now and go bigger. There is a size difference between 1.1 and 1.3. I would up it to a 1.5 BC that's a very nice size and you don't want to upgrade in the future. It's a lot cheaper to get it right the first time than to upgrade later anyway. That much I have learned.

Thank you for your input. However, I think you misinterpreted my post. I stated that we are starting to feel as if we paid a premium that can only be appreciated on paper meaning, as an example, how much visual difference does a pavilion angle of a 40.6 have to a 40.9? The question had nothing to do with what others will think we spent on the stone, but more so at what point is spending the premium on a super ideal cut stone noticeable beyond the certificate? You are correct in saying that Pricescope members value overall quality, as do I, which is why I came here wondering if we spent our budget in the best way possible. Quality trumps size for us every single time which is why I stated although all of our other considerations were larger, we ultimately chose the smaller stone.

My boyfriend an I are extremely happy with the diamond we chose, otherwise we would not have purchased it in the first place. It was a decision we made after many months of educating ourselves and prioritizing our wants. If I was going to spend my entire life comparing the size of my stone to everyone else's, I would have purchased saved the money and purchased a very large CZ! ;-)
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
gm89uk|1446600406|3945405 said:
If you don't mind posting your budget I'm sure someone will help you hunt / advise you whether your ambitions of getting an ideal cut ~1.3 of your specifications is possible with a quick look. If you have enough money in reserve, you can even buy one of them and compare it to your ACA to have full closure that you've made the right decision! (as long as the vendor has a full money back guarantee)

Thank you so much! We have also debated on buying another stone to visually compare it to the stone we already have. The most difficult process of buying stones online is not being able to compare them to each other!
 

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
7,128
Oh, my bad! I think I focused on the part where you indicated that you are being pressured to go bigger.
 

shawna6841

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 3, 2015
Messages
1
I'm new to this forum but had to chime in and say that those hearts are very impressive even by WF's standards the hearts are perfect!

I myself have been looking for a similar diamond and most of the WF stones that I have seen with VS1 grades all have some inclusions on the table, your stone has what looks like two very minor inclusions with a very clean table. Honestly it looks more like a VVS2+! Could you tell me are there any additional comments on the certificate such as clouds not shown or anything? I would love to find a stone like yours! :love:
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
11,227
Rosiepink|1446596777|3945367 said:
VRBeauty|1446575238|3945187 said:
Rosiepink|1446574464|3945178 said:
Should we sacrifice in some area of the diamonds quality for a larger size or keep the stone we truly love even though it's a little smaller than we originally wanted? We are starting to feel like we paid a premium for something that can only be appreciated on paper. :(

I will attach some photos of our stone.

It's a question only you can answer, but since you asked ;-) ...

You won't be appreciating it only on paper, you'll also get to appreciate it on your finger once you get it set. And let me tell you, I love :love: watching the light show my diamonds put on when I wear them! A poorly cut diamond simply is not going to put on the same light show.

And BTW if your alternative is a lesser quality diamond that's only a little bigger - don't even consider it. Unless you're comparing them side-by-side, your diamond will look larger than a smililarly sized diamond that's not as well cut simply because your diamond returns more light.

Also consider that you're getting a good upgrade policy with that WF ACA, and hopefully you'll be able to use that policy on some future anniversary. Assuming, of course, that you're willing to part with your beautiful diamond at that point.

Thank you for your input. Do you have any posts of your stone? I'd love to see it, it sounds beautiful! I am concerned that since the stone (therefore facets) are smaller it might not look as sparkly or firey as a larger stone with larger facets. However, I had the same concern that a slightly bigger, lesser quality diamond wouldn't provide any noticeable size difference either way. We have no plans to upgrade so that's why we want to be sure we were making the right choice!

Rosie: My ring is a 3-stone that actually has OEC's rather than MRB's - but they perform like nobody's business in many lighting conditions, and I just don't get tired of watching the show. I now own this ring, which was originally owned by PS'er Uppy:


https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/james-meyer-three-stone-oec.120753/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/james-meyer-three-stone-more-pictures.126429/
fullsizerender-50.jpg img_1825_0.jpg
 

Rosiepink

Rough_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2015
Messages
35
nala|1446602177|3945420 said:
Oh, my bad! I think I focused on the part where you indicated that you are being pressured to go bigger.

That's okay! By that, I meant that our peers are buying much larger stones with the same budget and sometimes make joking remarks that we are paying for unnecessary elements! We usually direct them to Pricescope! :angel:
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top