carat
color
clarity

Found an OEC in UK!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
I am a long time lurker but first post!
After always loving old cut diamonds here in the UK, I found a whole lot of pricescopers who share that passion on here!
I never wanted an old setting though and have had real problems finding loose OECs here in the UK. However I have recently brought one which I am thrilled about. She is definitely a transitional rather than OEC but beautiful. My pictures don't do her any justice.
I am in the process of designing a setting for her and will update when I have the CADs.
Specs: 2.05ct, estimated M colour, VS2 clarity but would grade as pique as has a chip and a natural on the girdle so I decided not to get her GIA graded as both these things don't cause any issues with her performance and can be hidden in the setting.
I am very excited and can't wait to see her set
Christina

img_20160518_185600.jpg

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Christina! Very exciting. :dance:

Are you going to set her in a bezel given the chipped girdle?

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
Yes an octagonal bezel with a halo.
Will post cads once I have them.
Very excited :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your find, I can't wait to see it set!!!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's a gorgeous stone.. I love OEC and Transitional! can't wait to see your stone in its new home! congratulations!!!!

:love: :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty! Congrats on your find!!! Post pics when she gets set...

susief

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely stunning! :love:

I am also in the UK and love OECs so share your pain in finding them (or any decent diamonds at all). You did an amazing job there. Can't wait to see how you set it. Octagonal bezel sounds just perfect.

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks soooooo pretty! I am a sucker for octagonal bezel-halos as well....

Would you mind sharing where you ended up finding it? Lucky girl!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christinak|1464880783|4039369 said:
Very hard to take good photos but what do you think?
oooh I think you nailed the facets there with that pic - it's a lovely stone. What a great find! I can't wait to see how you set it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Great find!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful facet pattern. That's a great find!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
Oh thank you for your comments. I am so excited and its lovely to hear you think I've made a good choice. Always so hard to find the one but when you do, you definitely just know it :dance:
AprilMay thanks for those links. There are some real beauties there. I have actually already designed my own ring and have really enjoyed it so much. It has lots of period details but is a modern version of the styles I love. Very delicate and feminine too I hope. Desperate to see the CAD's the workshop has been working on them since last Wednesday.
Tekate thank you. I love your AVR - wish we could get those here!
Susief thank you I know its very hard but I have found a source now so if you want more details IM me as I am not sure I can list here.
Leukolenos I got the diamond in hatton garden but through a trade contact. If you would like details please IM me. I don't know policies in terms of sharing these details and as I have only just started posting would hate to be in trouble!!!
Tyty333, Foxinsoxs and gypsy thank you for your comments. I am so pleased you think I chose well.
Will post when I get the CAD's. I am so impatient!!
Chris :wavey:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Thank you misskittycat. I LOVE the diamond in your avatar. Wow.

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
I'm so excited to see your halo because I've never yet found one that is PERFECT. Your combination of vintage and modern aesthetics will be amazing, I'm sure! Congrats again on your find - she's beautiful! Now will wait patiently for the CAD.... :naughty:

susief

Shiny_Rock
Christinak|1464942606|4039718 said:
Hello
Oh thank you for your comments. I am so excited and its lovely to hear you think I've made a good choice. Always so hard to find the one but when you do, you definitely just know it :dance:
AprilMay thanks for those links. There are some real beauties there. I have actually already designed my own ring and have really enjoyed it so much. It has lots of period details but is a modern version of the styles I love. Very delicate and feminine too I hope. Desperate to see the CAD's the workshop has been working on them since last Wednesday.
Tekate thank you. I love your AVR - wish we could get those here!
Susief thank you I know its very hard but I have found a source now so if you want more details IM me as I am not sure I can list here.
Leukolenos I got the diamond in hatton garden but through a trade contact. If you would like details please IM me. I don't know policies in terms of sharing these details and as I have only just started posting would hate to be in trouble!!!
Tyty333, Foxinsoxs and gypsy thank you for your comments. I am so pleased you think I chose well.
Will post when I get the CAD's. I am so impatient!!
Chris :wavey:

You are welcome to share details of who you bought from on here, nothing against the rules about that. Only if you want to though - I wouldn't blame you for wanting to keep all the lovely old cuts to yourself ;)) Unfortunately there is no way to IM or send private messages on Pricescope.

Can't wait to see the CADs and the finished product! It really is a beautiful diamond.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find!

I see very little in Hatton Garden windows that I think really stands out when I visit there once in a while, so you've done really well with that one :))

Can't wait to see it set!

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello

Susief - sorry its probably not me being clear enough. I bought the diamond via a friend who is in the trade. He requested a wholesaler to bring in some old cut stones and then took me to their offices in hatton garden to review and choose.
So even if I posted the details the supplier are wholesale only and you have to have an account.
I am very happy to help anyone source a stone in this way but I am not sure if this is OK on PS as I suppose it could make me sort of like a trade person deemed to be selling. Although I am not really - only helping to source? Hence I didn't want to go down that route in case its a problem.

On another note I saw my cad for the gallery today. I have designed it as an 'I' and a 'G' after my 2 children. Looking good but not happy yet to post it. Needs a few tweaks first! Will hopefully be posting them very soon.

This is my first time ever selecting my own diamond, and designing my own ring. Its actually really special! And very exciting.

Hopefully will be back soon with the cads

Chris

susief

Shiny_Rock
Oh I see what you mean, no worries - I'm not looking to buy another stone anyway (give me a few more years ;)) ) I hope old cuts will become more popular and widely available here with time.

I'm intrigued by your CADs, they sound really unique and exciting! :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds amazing -- I'm in LOVE with octagonal halos!!! :love:

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Christinak|1465045537|4040097 said:
Hello

Susief - sorry its probably not me being clear enough. I bought the diamond via a friend who is in the trade. He requested a wholesaler to bring in some old cut stones and then took me to their offices in hatton garden to review and choose.
So even if I posted the details the supplier are wholesale only and you have to have an account.
I am very happy to help anyone source a stone in this way but I am not sure if this is OK on PS as I suppose it could make me sort of like a trade person deemed to be selling. Although I am not really - only helping to source? Hence I didn't want to go down that route in case its a problem.

On another note I saw my cad for the gallery today. I have designed it as an 'I' and a 'G' after my 2 children. Looking good but not happy yet to post it. Needs a few tweaks first! Will hopefully be posting them very soon.

This is my first time ever selecting my own diamond, and designing my own ring. Its actually really special! And very exciting.

Hopefully will be back soon with the cads

Chris

I can't wait to see the cads! That's really interesting- you're lucky to have a contact! I've never had much luck there myself and wondered if there wasn't some place I was missing.

Boo247

Rough_Rock
Hurrah! A fellow uk old cut diamond fan here too. I love your diamond. I have an OMC ering. You're right though...not seen here much. I've noticed some nice diamonds in the windows of secondhand jewellers in wealthier towns with an older population!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous OEC! :love: Ooh cannot wait to see how you set her. An octagonal halo sounds. My grandmother's ring was set in a plain metal octagonal halo and I loved it. Sounds beautiful. :appl:

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
Thanks so much for your comments.
So here are the CADs :appl:
But first my inspiration rings.
Chris x

_37498.jpg

img_0858__45984.jpg

octagon_rose_cut_ring__97286.jpg

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
So onto the CAD's.
Not sure yet on the shape of the 'G' as its a bit too angular and also the end points should be the same shape as the 'I' end points. The 'I' then repeating on the shoulders I really like.
Also the stone was supposed to be a bezel set but my jeweller thinks he can hide the chip/natural on the girdle with a prong so has suggested claws as he thinks the diamond will look amazing in this style. It still has the inner bezel but the claws attach to that. What do you all think?
The halo is meant to be very structural yet delicate and feminine. I really like the Tiffany inspiration ring (top picture), but didn't want the outer stones to shadow my stone so decided to create the trapezoid shape with millegrain sections and use small rounds instead.
I wear platinum but wanted the shank to reflect the warmth of the stone so have added a yellow gold shank which I guess also feels more vintage.
Let me know what you think!
Chris x

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Gah the CAD's won't upload!

I'll try again ...

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
OK can't seem to load the CAD's. Here's a very poor second best which are my drawings for the rings gallery and top view (top view done in PowerPoint - my freehand drawing is absolutely rubbish as you can see by my gallery drawing!).
If I can get the CAD's loaded I will as I know these drawings don't give you much of a clue!
Chris

img_20160522_185709.jpg

img_20160515_191714.jpg

Christinak

Shiny_Rock
Hello
This is very frustrating as I still can't load CADs. I have asked for the latest to be in a version that I can load so hopefully soon. The CAD guy is at a rock festival at the moment though so I haven't seen latest versions yet!

I need a bit of advice on the stone. My gut feel was to not get it graded as whilst it is a VS1/2 internally with no visible inclusions, the chip and natural on the girdle would drive a pique or I2/3 grading. When set you won't see these so the estimated grade would improve.
Now this ring is a heirloom for one of my children so I don't need the GIA certification for resale as it won't be sold by me (although once its theirs I guess they could choose to sell it).
Would the general advice be to not bother with the cert or to get it certed? I am a while away from setting so now is a good time to decide!
Thanks for your input
Chris x

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
Christinak - any updates here? I know you were having trouble uploading your CAD's - any other updates? I'm definitely not experienced enough to offer advice re certing...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results