shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a nice "I" Color but recommended not to go below H?

pokemon12

Rough_Rock
Like many of you I'm obsessed with trying to find a diamond with a great deal and something that will also please my future fiance.

Below is what I've reserved. Curious about what the experts think. Several of my friends have recommended not going below an "H" for a 6 prong solitaire platinum setting.

Its an 1.31c, "I" color w/ med blue fluor (listing on Ritani is wrong for no fluor.), VS1, HCA<1

https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-31-Carat-I-color-GIA-certified/D-JFMQY5

Much thanks!

southLA504

Rough_Rock
Re: Found a nice "I" Color but recommended not to go below H

There's nothing wrong with an I color. You would never see the difference between an H and an I unless you were holding them right next to each other unmounted. If you like the I go for it.

LesleyF

Rough_Rock

Hi

I have seen a number of I and also J colour diamonds in person and honestly, they are both lovely. Both sparkly and bright as long as the cut is ex. I wouldn't hesitate in getting an I at all. I actually prefer to warmer colours over ice white.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I am one who can immediately see the tint in a 1ct "I" from the side view. I am sure I'd see it even more in 1.3ct. Blue fluor won't help that issue much. I is a creamy pale ivory, not a bright white. I own both H and I, and the H always looks white from the side but the I looks ivory. If you want to be even safer, I'd say stop at G. But if one didn't need to see bright white from the side, then there would be nothing wrong with I. The blue fluor will help the face-up appearance to be whiter when UV light is present. You'll just have to find out how color-sensitive she is, and what her priorities are. Size? Or color?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you looked at I coloured diamonds IRL? The only caution is that you/fiancé might be able to see some tint. Some people can, and it bothers them. Some people can, and they don't mind. Some people can't tell. So it just depends on what category you fall into.

I'd think you're safe in a solitaire - no icy white mele to compare the center to. But I would hop by a local jewellery store (preferably one that sells H&A or other high quality cut stones) and double check what you think. Don't compare an I to a D - just look at the I and see what you think.

(Personally I'm fine with an I.)

Veltiesmom

Shiny_Rock

I found this video extremely useful and informative re: color. I'm not sure if it will let me post. If not, search "Good Old Gold what diamond color is" on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcmSj8dOLRI

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

It looks like the diamond has been sold, so I hope it's you who bought it. My original engagement ring is an AGS I color, and I don't notice a tint. Maybe you will from the side, but I think it will be very minimal, if noticeable at all. If you stick with GIA and AGS graded stones, the color is fairly accurate and can be trusted (I say fairly accurate, because color is in the eye of the beholder... and I have a double-certed GIA M, AGS L stone to prove it!). I think it will be totally fine, but if you have qualms after seeing it, I think Ritani would exchange it for you.

pokemon12

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. I did go ahead and put down payment on the rock. (The setting I ordered is in production so I have some time if I wanted to change the diamond). I went back to the local store and asked them if I could see the diamond unmounted in comparison with some of the other stones they had of different colors with similar size. It was in fact indistinguishable face up (esp since my cut had better light return and sparkle) so mine looked a lot better.

From the side, I did could see the difference between the slightly yellow "H" and slightly more "I" but that's only because I've been staring at it for quite awhile. The sales rep was telling me that it will be less noticeable when mounted on the 6 prong plat. but I think if I can find a smaller diamond with a G or H color I'll do that. My quick searches on Ritani suggest that a 1.2-1.29c with G or H would be about $1-1.5k more than what I have now. I guess it all depends on how color sensitive she is.

pokemon12

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the video link! Very helpful!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

I have an I stone and I have to be honest - the warmth sometimes bothers me. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a better color. It's really a personal decision because warmth may bother some, but not others, so she may be fine with it. My ring is also mounted in platinum and I don't think that affects the color much if that's what you're hoping for. I think that my ring is gorgeous (the cut is excellent, so it's very sparkly), but the color is not ideal for me.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

I'd go to G if she's color sensitive. I and Js can still face up white but side view will show color. It might not even be that noticeable under jewelry store lighting but take it home where you might have 2700k temp lights or off white walls and you can really see the color. 6 prong plat setting can help obstruct the side view and can help hide color a bit. you could always go with a halo or bezel if it really bugs you.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pokemon12|1446057375|3943080 said:
From the side, I did could see the difference between the slightly yellow "H" and slightly more "I" but that's only because I've been staring at it for quite awhile. The sales rep was telling me that it will be less noticeable when mounted on the 6 prong plat. but I think if I can find a smaller diamond with a G or H color I'll do that. My quick searches on Ritani suggest that a 1.2-1.29c with G or H would be about $1-1.5k more than what I have now. I guess it all depends on how color sensitive she is.
Good idea.. ;))

pokemon12

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the additional feedback. I'm going to hunt for a G now to be sure. Based on feedback from friends from Asia (my gf is Chinese), their wives seem to value and prefer color over size.

pokemon12

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the link to your thread!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results