shape
carat
color
clarity

Found a diamond full of sparkles!! Need advice..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
We went looking at settings, and when I found one that I just adored, the jeweler said she had some stones to "drop in" so I''d have a better idea of the end result.

I like 1/2 carat range, since big and flashy''s not my style, so that''s what we were looking at. I don''t have info on girth or anything like that (nor do I know what it means, really), but this is what I do know.

.48 carats
round
SI1
color G
*and it sparkles like MAD. I can''t even tell you how pretty it is in comparison to the others we saw that day... even the ones that were bigger... this one was gorgeous.*

The thing is, everywhere I look online, and even the threads I''ve read on here, seem to indicate that a "good" 1/2 carat should cost a pretty nice penny, but this one was priced at $830.

My question is, does that mean it''s not a good quality stone? I don''t want a diamond that costs like mad, and I think it''s just beautiful, and sitting in that white gold setting, it just sparkles and sparkles. And, well, I sort of thought it was a LOT of money before I started looking around on the Net and found that most 1/2 carat stones are over $1000....

I should add that this is a small store, but a reputable one, as well. I''ve seen several rings from there, on the fingers of my friends... and they''re nice. And real, too.

Any ideas?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Jen...

I just did a search (above) and found any number of similar stones in that price range.

It seems to me that if you think it''s beautiful (and it sure sounds like you do..
5.gif
) and you have confidence in the jeweler, then I''d say go for it!!

You could, of course, ask to take it to an independent appraiser to get an outside opinion before you take the plunge.

Good luck!
widget

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jen,

I have also looked at stones at some jewlery stores, and they were certainly all pretty! I did get the specs on some of them so I could compare all features with the ones online, and the store prices were significantly higher than the online prices for a comparable stone. I am open to a premium cut stone, which is likely what many good jewelry stores carry. But I imagine if that stone was $800 at the jewelry store, it probably would be $600 online. By all means, ask for the specs on it. Preferably, ask for a copy of the certificate. They made me copies of some I looked at at a jewelry store, and that helps me compare specs and prices to those I see online.

I do think there are many beautiful diamonds that aren''t AGS0''s. But I am sure most of us wouldn''t want to pay more than a stone is worth either. If you get the specs, then we can help you compare apples to apples. You have every right to that information before you make a decision.

E B

Ideal_Rock
If the price is right and the stone sparkles like mad, I don''t see that there''s a thing wrong with it. If it''ll bug you, though, ask the woman about the diamond''s specs. Is it certified?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, well, retype it and then the first post appears!

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Um, I don''t know if it''s certified.

Paul seemed to think it was overpriced, so I guess I won''t be getting that one in particular. But geesh, did it go sparkly sparkly!
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jen,

I couldn''t remember if you said your boyfriend felt comfortable buying online or not, but here''s a nice stone for $677:

.40 H, SI2 Ideal

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Why would someone waste their money on an SI2 stone? With those flaws, the whole thing can crack if bumped just right, and then you are left with nothing.

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
There are plenty of people with SI2 stones that have no problem at all. I know there can be some inclusions that can affect structural integrity but certainly not all of them. I really don''t think you can say all SI2s are in danger of breaking... many are even totally eye clean! Good luck on finding the perfect diamond Nifergirl7997!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:18:08 PM
Author: InLuvWithMrH
Why would someone waste their money on an SI2 stone? With those flaws, the whole thing can crack if bumped just right, and then you are left with nothing.
perhaps you should do some more research on clarity and inclusions before you make such an ill informed statement.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 11:35:12 PM
Author: belle

perhaps you should do some more research on clarity and inclusions before you make such an ill informed statement.

No kidding!
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are mistaken. Many people here have great SI2 stones and they are in no way going to crack, fall apart etc.. Your statement is incorrect and misleading. I have seen a ton of great SI2's on here that are eye clean and fabulous. Of course they are not all created equal but your statement is a very broad one, and isn't the case from what I've seen.
2.gif

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I happen to live in a small town. The general population here doesn''t do big diamonds (.50 ct or less), or high quality. They just can''t afford it
39.gif
. With that being said, I know alot of people who have SI2''s & I1''s and they were purchased from the mall. Now, I haven''t heard of anyone''s diamond shattering, breaking, or even chipping. The people around here work hard, and also like to play ... very active with sports etc. If it were the rule that SI2''s or I1''s were so comprimised ... Most ladies and mens diamond rings would be breaking at an enourmous rate in my hometown.

Just like a book ... you shouldn''t judge it by its cover, or in this case broadly judge a diamonds structural intergrity on it''s number.

Have a great day to all!
35.gif

InLuvWithMrH

Shiny_Rock
Forgive me, but I didn''t mean to insinuate that ALL SI2 stones will crack, but my gemologist friend has seen many crack and would never sell me one. She is the one who relayed her experiences to me and I based it on her knowledge and many, many years of experience. More than I have, that''s for sure!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
even a IF-FL stones can be damage.

Tiffany1976

Shiny_Rock
I have a beautiful SI2 diamond which belonged to my aunt since 1968, and it looks flawless. The also wore it for many years. I don''t think you should make such big negative statements. It''s neither nice, nor true.

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
My fiance bought me a GIA certified Eighternity SI2 eye clean stone and there is nothing wrong with it either. IMO, if stones were so badly damaged that they would crack, reputable jewelers online or otherwise would probably lose their businesses if they tried to sell less than optimum stones advertising them as SI2s and certified. Besides, if not careful, anyone''s diamond can break or become damaged...things happen. You can''t worry about protecting your diamond if you fall or are in an accident of some sort. That is something that happened to a friend of mine. That is why there is insurance, but it had nothing to do with the fact of her diamond being an SI2 in clarity. Her diamond was a VVS2.

My diamond is gorgeous and I have seen all of the SI2 stones on this site that are gorgeous as well. The jeweler he bought my stone from who is one of the 28 or 29 Eighternity diamond dealers in the US told him when looking for ideal cuts (or by the GIAs standards, Excellent cut), the clarity of an SI1 or SI2 diamond that is eye clean does not matter and of course helps with the cost. He could not have afforded an IF-VS2 diamond for the size, cut, and color he was going for and unless anyone carries a 10x-30x loupe around their neck to see what the clarity of someone''s diamond is, who would know???
face5.gif

tomswife2007

Rough_Rock
Now back to the question at hand...I thing the diamond you are looking at Nifergirl sounds beautiful. Maybe you and you boyfriend should do a little more price shopping, and if you still love it after that, then you should get it! Best of luck!
emwink.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An eyeclean SI2 diamond is one of the best bargains to be had, as many here will attest! To say they are a waste of money and prone to structural damage is not the case and is misleading to those who come here looking for advice.

Nifergirl7997

Rough_Rock
Well, the thing is, I''m not really into certifications or what they mean, and although I''ve been around here for a few weeks, I still don''t really understand the differences in Vs, Ss, Is and the like. All I know is that diamond took my breath away, much more than any of the others she showed us, and it was the second least expensive, which I also loved.

However, if the letters V, I, S, and whatever else there is, indicate that a diamond may crack or break, I need to understand more. Because I''m a bit of a clutz, and I want to have something that will last. :) I love my boyfriend and whatever he saves up to get me will be beautiful, I have no doubt... I want to keep it that way, forever!

Help... :)

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
The price might be ok if you are using an online vendor. My husband bought my first diamond from a B&M store and paid more. My diamond was .59 pts. E color SI1 clarity. He paid $1800- for it. Does the diamond you are looking at come with a reputable cert? If so, then I am sure you are getting a quality stone at a fair price.

HTH
Sunni

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
Eye clean SI2''s are certainly worth a second look. I''ve never been able to find the feathers in mine even at squinting distance but I would check the certificate carefully, ask lots of questions of the vendor and get it appraised by someone reputable.

Are you set on having a G or H coloured diamond? We were keen to get a whiter diamond as I wanted a good contrast with my ruby side stones, however there are some beautiful J''s and K''s on pricescope even in larger sizes. A smaller stone is supposed to mask the colour as well. Just make sure that the cut is ideal / excellent and you should have a beautiful diamond.......

Good luck with the search!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results