shape
carat
color
clarity

Formula for calculating crown and pavillion angles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

Could someone post the formula for calculating crown and pavillion angles from the percentages shown on EGL certs?
confused.gif
Assuming the percentages are accurate (I know some folks here are very wary of EGL as a whole), will the calculated angles be accurate enough to use on the HCA?

Thanks so much!

Diamondlil

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Several attempts have been posted and tried, but they weren't totally accurate. The girdle thickness variances from diamond to diamond evidently affect the outcome of the mathmatical equations.

You can use the %'s in the HCA. Usually, the % score is about half the true number derived using angles.
1.gif

lara

Rough_Rock
I'm sure that's usually true about the HCA score not being as good when you use the angles, but in my case it turned out exactly the same (when I finally did get the angles). 1.2 HCA both with % and angles.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Interesting, Lara. That has not been my experience at all. I've run all my diamonds using both %'s and angles. The %'s score ran about half the angles score on the larger diamond. My new diamond scores 1.3 using angles and 0.7 using %'s. My earrings both scored 0.9 using %'s and 1.2 using angles.

It would be great if you could post your angles and your %'s for us. When the question of mathematical formulas was posed a year ago, I ran a bunch of diamonds all 3 ways. Angles, %'s, and mathematical formula. I never got the %'s and formulas to match the angles. Your diamond specs would be interesting indeed!
4.gif

lara

Rough_Rock
Hi, pq. Here's the #s.
t. depth, 58.5, table 59, crown 13%, pav 43%, crown angle 31.9, pav. angle 40.8. Med girdle.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
WOW, Lara!!
6.gif
That's KEWL!!
tongue.gif
That's the first one I've seen like that!!
9.gif

I haven't seen too many BIC's and FIC's either, tho.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results