shape
carat
color
clarity

Forget FIC''s, how bout FIC-like TIC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
I cant find super ideal FIC''s anywhere
29.gif
! So, if I wanted a Super id. HandA TIC--

that favors or borders a FIC, what should I be looking for (specs)? . . . A lot of FIC ?''s

recently, must be popular here!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I can tell what you could find asap would be a H&A, AGS0 round with a small table. I''ve seen 52% and 53% ones.... Those may come with a higher crown too, although around the usual 15%-ish. I am not sure if these stones owe the fiery looks to some fine tuning of angles as much as to the presence of those larger crown facets itself. You will probably get the correct technical explanation on this thread.

As much as I can tell, what makes them ''fiery'' are just the crown facets that now cover more of the face of the stone - one is more likely to see light reflected at an angle from his line of vision if there are a few tilted faces doing the job rather than a large flat one (the table).

I would like to hear an knowledgeable explanation of this just as much as you do
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Garry has conjectured FICs may appear 1 in 2000.

Although he admits to not being an expert, Storm certainly has expertise, and he recently attempted an answer to your question in another thread:

"For fire over white light return look for one of 2 things but not in the same diamond:
fic on the hca or a LGF% in the 75%-76% range in a tic on the hca."

It could be interesting to hear from Garry on Storm''s supposition. If I read this board right, other experts, like Beryl, have recently supported the general supposition of the helpfulness of the minor facets, perhaps even over the major ones. And although no one seems to disagree with including this other data, only guys like Storm and moreover Jonathan at GOG seem to discuss these things with the kind of facility that make you think they not only know what they''re talking about, but can readily use this data in an inclusive way in their own selection of diamonds.

This may be too broad a review, and particularly for branded options (ACAs, infinity''s and others) one suspects a recipe for quality is pretty well in place. But, as I intimated here, and particularly for shoppers with a robust, and not otherwise necessarily tight budget, whereas the HCA formula provides a powerful assist for narrowing down and eliminating most poorer performers, the strategy of DIY, doing it yourself, beyond that, may be limited, and a shopper''s need to go to a very select group of knowledgeable vendors in order to get professional assistance in selecting the very best from the best is probably needed, with not every vendor on this board really being able to discern those top performers to the degree one might prefer. Or, at least, if they can, the strategies for that discernment have not been in evidence on this board.

Regards,

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the problems with Storms and this general thinking is true - if the LG''s are shorterther e is usually more fire and less light return - but in that case contrast and scintillation suffer.

The other line of thinking is smaller tables help with fire; this is true, and scintillation also improves (but only as stones are say above 1/2 ct). But never combine short lower girdles with small tables.

Storm you will now understand this page on ideal-scope that has been there for a yeor or 3

http://www.ideal-scope.com/manuf_fine_tuning.asp

Many Indian manufacturers know this stuff (because I have been telling them
2.gif
).
Some whose B2B sites I visit are also now making a few FIC''s.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea Garry there are some tradeoffs.
I understand that page.
The real interesting thing is some of the latest batch of GOG classics are hitting double and tripple VH on the b-scope with 75% LGF% by going with large stars and good angle combo''s.
Id never have thought it possible.

Example:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_82ct_g_si1_h%26a.htm

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 8:16:00 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Very nice looking stone.

But it will have a darkish table I expect under close examination since about 1/3rd is dark.

And a loss of pop pop scintialation.

I agree.
Its not one that would be one of my favorites but still a very nice diamond.
If someone was looking for a ton of fire it would be a good option.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found a good setup on HCA a while back for FIC. Look for smaller table, deeper depth...larger crown angle and smaller pavilion. I think that something like a 53% table, 62.5% depth and 35.6 crown angle with a 40.2 or 40.3 pavilion may yield something like a FIC? I played around one night on HCA for a while looking at various combinations....

If you can find a stone like this and really are thinking of going the TICborderlineFIC way, post it for Garry and others to take a look at it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
we can talk all we want about FIC but,until cutters start to cut them in greater #''s, chances of seeing one is still rare.maybe there''s 1 in 1000 RB''s?

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Whew!
Thanks for the input guys
Dancin you are right on target, and Mara I will definitaly post the diamond when i find one (IF I find one)
9.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/10/2005 8:44:36 AM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 10/10/2005 8:16:00 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
Very nice looking stone.

But it will have a darkish table I expect under close examination since about 1/3rd is dark.

And a loss of pop pop scintialation.

I agree.
Its not one that would be one of my favorites but still a very nice diamond.
If someone was looking for a ton of fire it would be a good option.
But Storm what I am saying is you need not compromise - you can have your cake (fire) and eat it too with an FIC with the right Lower Girdles etc.

Dancing Fire 1 in 1000 or 2000 - that IS the problem and WE are part of the problem.
This started with me asking you guys to start to change your thinking. And thanks Mara and Storm, because now I am sure you will consider broader ranges than 34.0 and 41.

And I will see what I can do to let some manufacturers know that there is a market that they can get better yeilds on from some shapes of rough diamond.

So when these stones start to appear - it will be really important that you guys do not say "oh no, you cant buy a 32 crown angle" or "that 37 crown angle will have a lousy spread."

I would like to close this thread now though - and continue only with the other original one that has the whole story.

Thanks
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results