shape
carat
color
clarity

Forevermark diamond missing grading report

sardoge

Rough_Rock
C5FDC174-79AB-4B14-B1A8-8BFF931E20FC.jpeg I put a down payment down on a beautiful 2.27ct Emerald cut Forevermark loose diamond. I have some real concerns about the stone.
1. It’s being offered for sale without a grading report. It has some information and some of the grades and dimensions color cut etc. but the trifold report is missing and all I was offered to see was a photo copy of the ID card and very generic looking print out receipt of the basic specs of the stone.
2.) I was told that the stone is so new to them that they don’t have all the paperwork yet.o_O I find it very difficult to believe that a Forevermark authorized jeweler would try to sell a stone with some of the information (but not all of it).
3.) I was able to register and name the stone online and it lists only the carat weight on the Forevermark website. Unfortunately, i’m unable to download the grading report because I don’t have the grading report number, as it wasn’t provided to me on the photo copied information sheet.

4.) Why is the DeBeers company going through such great lengths to create a Forevermark diamond with a unique inscription number on the table of the diamond to uniquely identify the stone and not have it linked directly to the grading report? If there is a separate number for grading report shouldn’t it be linked to the unique number etched on the table of this beautiful diamond, so that the grading report can be easily downloaded?

5.) Since the diamond store that I am purchasing this stone from excepts returns +10% appreciation towards buying a new stone when upgrading...how do I know the stone hasn’t been worn for a year and returned to them with missing paperwork? The date of registry for the stone is 5/10/2016

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not familiar with this company. However it seems to be just like any vendor selling their ring settings and diamonds. DeBeers is a diamond vendor, not a grading lab.
A recognised and reliable grading report comes from a well known and regarded grading lab, ie GIA, AGL etc, these grading lab don’t sell diamonds, they just assess and grade diamonds.
So what it means exactly to have a diamond graded by Forevermark is ? But it hardly seems “independent” - they say their diamonds are great, but what seller doesn’t say their goods are fabulous and fantastic.
What you should get is a GIA grading report. This is independent, this is the report that world wide people accept and recognised as a fair and valid appraisal.
As for the diamond being “new”, if they have a “return and upgrade” policy, for sure your diamond could have previously been in someone else ring. Unless you can confirm a particular piece of rough was recently pulled from the ground, faceted and then straight into your hands, just about any diamond you buy could have been in another ring previously. This isn’t really something to worry about.
What to worry about is that “their” assessment matches with an independent diamond lab. It more than likely will but I wouldn’t be buying it without a proper report that you can say “yes, this diamond is the diamond as described in the report”.
That’s why GIA assessed diamonds have a laser inscription of the number on their girdle, so it can be positively identified and matched with the corresponding report.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is the grading report number the one under the barcode?

sardoge

Rough_Rock
IMG_9693.JPG The grading report should look something like this... notice the second long number on the left page...

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forevermark, to my knowledge, are not sent to GIA or AGS for grading. DeBeers uses their own inhouse grading system from IIDGR which began grading for their parent company DeBeers in 2010ish. Its an inhouse system.. Back in 2011ish, the stones were graded by both IIDGR and GIA, but that may have faded once DeBeers felt they established their own lab's reputation. But, no grading report number that you can verify in the online system is a red-flag for me. Also, Debeers laser inscribes on "some" diamonds per their website. I'd guess that is for diamonds over a certain size or value, so you should have it examined and see if they can read off a number. Personally, I've not seen enough IIDGR stones to make any judgement on their grading, so I stick with the AGS, GIA and HDR for modern cuts.

Here are the grading standards from IIDGR. https://www.iidgr.com/globalassets/...rading-standards-v1.3-jan-2017-compressed.pdf

If the report is from 2016, then as noted by PP, the diamond was likely a trade-in. If it is "very recent' to the vendor, they did not get the papers on trade-back and have not received new ones' from DeBeers. My concern on trade-ins is that they need to send it back to their grading house for review. While the stone should have been carefully examined for any damage upon trade-in, I don't like to assume. If they want you to buy the stone, have them get new grading reports. Then, as I'm an untrusting soul, I'd send the diamond to GIA during my return period (it needs to be sent unset) to see if the GIA and IIDGR agree.

A few additional points. Emerald Cuts do not hide color well. A K colored emerald will have clear tint to the body. If this is for you and you like that...that is wonderful. Lots of folks don't mind body color. But, if this is for a gift, I'd be very hesitant to drop below G/H without clarity on what that person likes for color. Forevermark is a brand that is about DeBeers and not really about guaranteed light return and performance. Performance matters in all diamonds, but ECs especially. Step-cuts don't have tons of tiny facets to return light. They have fewer long, wide facets. So, if any of those are not perfect, the entire stone looks dead. I have no idea if your selected stone is lovely or not, but for reference, here is a slightly smaller but higher color EC from BrianGavin. Brian Gavin, to my knowledge is one of the only (maybe only?) vendors that have modern ECs that are cut for performance first (akin to the super-ideals in modern rounds like Hearts on Fire, WhiteFlash ACA, CraftedbyInfinity, etc).
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...2.034-h-vvs2-emerald-diamond-ags-104098699001

This is on par with size, whiter but IF -- so its a bit pricier.
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...s/2.385-h-if-emerald-diamond-ags-104097991005

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sellers grading their own stones = fox guarding the hen house. I don’t care how well reputed the house is. The graders lack independence which I would require from any evaluation.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Regarding the BG diamonds: Both H color. One VVS2, the other IF. One diamond is .3 cts larger. So you're paying 16k extra for .3 more diamond and IF rather than VVS clarity.

Am I the only one who finds this odd?

sardoge

Rough_Rock
AC925BAE-47D2-4E3E-86D8-2BFE9C295FF0.jpeg
I know, right? Love the BGD ECs. I love that they, like other super-ideals, put the performance out there. No guessing.

@sardoge How's it going? Any progress?

Yes! Thanks everyone for your input and advice! 77B99CB3-7169-4FAE-9D2F-39ED2F395674.png I found a slightly smaller stone that is an H in color and looks amazing. I hope she likes it.

BStam549

Rough_Rock
Trade
C5FDC174-79AB-4B14-B1A8-8BFF931E20FC.jpeg I put a down payment down on a beautiful 2.27ct Emerald cut Forevermark loose diamond. I have some real concerns about the stone.
1. It’s being offered for sale without a grading report. It has some information and some of the grades and dimensions color cut etc. but the trifold report is missing and all I was offered to see was a photo copy of the ID card and very generic looking print out receipt of the basic specs of the stone.
2.) I was told that the stone is so new to them that they don’t have all the paperwork yet.o_O I find it very difficult to believe that a Forevermark authorized jeweler would try to sell a stone with some of the information (but not all of it).
3.) I was able to register and name the stone online and it lists only the carat weight on the Forevermark website. Unfortunately, i’m unable to download the grading report because I don’t have the grading report number, as it wasn’t provided to me on the photo copied information sheet.

4.) Why is the DeBeers company going through such great lengths to create a Forevermark diamond with a unique inscription number on the table of the diamond to uniquely identify the stone and not have it linked directly to the grading report? If there is a separate number for grading report shouldn’t it be linked to the unique number etched on the table of this beautiful diamond, so that the grading report can be easily downloaded?

5.) Since the diamond store that I am purchasing this stone from excepts returns +10% appreciation towards buying a new stone when upgrading...how do I know the stone hasn’t been worn for a year and returned to them with missing paperwork? The date of registry for the stone is 5/10/2016

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results