shape
carat
color
clarity

For those with Cartier Trinity rings...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I want to treat myself to an early b-day gift and really have been lusting for a Cartier Trinity ring (tri-color) and I am not sure what mm I want. The one I am after is the "Les must de Cartier" version, which I have found at a few online retailers. My first question, what mm sizes does the Trinity ring come in? One of the retailers has the version I am after in what she calls the "thin" style and the other is in the xtra wide style (3 5mm bands). Because I do not want to squint at the writing when wearing the ring, I am wondering if I should go wider, but not sure if xtra wide version would be too wide on my hand. Ugh. I would go into Cartier, but feel odd, as I do not intend to buy the modern version.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a vintage 2mm one and it probably would be hard to read writing on the front of it if it had it. On the other hand 5mm bands on a trinity ring would be huge...I think even the 3mm is pretty thick.

As for what sizes they come in...it seems to depend on the era of the ring.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d love to have the 2mm one! But I wouldn''t want more than 3mm...that''s pretty hefty when you''re talking about 3 of them!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:57:46 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I''d love to have the 2mm one! But I wouldn''t want more than 3mm...that''s pretty hefty when you''re talking about 3 of them!

Yeah I LOVE my 2mm one. Here is a crappy pic that I just had DH take for you to get perspective on the size. 5mm would be insanely large for a woman IMO.

Stacked with my eternity band ring size 5.5

IMG_3303888.jpg

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 8:31:41 PM
Author: neatfreak
I have a vintage 2mm one and it probably would be hard to read writing on the front of it if it had it. On the other hand 5mm bands on a trinity ring would be huge...I think even the 3mm is pretty thick.

As for what sizes they come in...it seems to depend on the era of the ring.
Yes, I was thinking that myself. I wear a size 6, so I am sure I could pull off the 5mm version, however, I think that might be a bit too large for my taste. However, it would be nice if a few PSers would post 3mm - 5mm just for a point of reference.

Though, I was not aware that sizes vary based on era of the ring, very interesting.

ETA: Oh wow, thank you for posting the photo NF (also love your wedding band paired with it)! I am now convinced going beyond 3mm would be way too much. Thank you DS as well! :)

I wear a size 6, and they do have 1 in a size 51, which they state is a US 6 and they have 1 in a 52 (6.25) and then 1 in a 53 (6.75). I have read on previous postings that it is a good idea to order a bit larger, so I was leaning more toward the 52 or 53. Any thoughts?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear about a 5.5, and was trying on size 53 trinities when I visited Cartier. So I''d think you''d need to go up a size or two.

Hopefully as size 6 trinity owner will chime in for you!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I have a question for Cartier Trinity ring owners, and it is:

Do you find that the white gold needs any maintenance?

I've read many posts about white gold needing to be re-(rhodium) plated, and wonder how this applies to Cartier jewelry. Is Cartier white gold rhodium plated?

Either a) it's not rhodium plated, so that's why I haven't read about this with Cartier Trinity rings or b) there are relatively few Cartier Trinity rings so I just haven't run into a post about this.

TIA.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:24:40 PM
Author: Imdanny

I've read many posts about white gold needing to be re-(rhodium) plated, and wonder how this applies to Cartier jewelry. Is Cartier white gold rhodium plated?

Either a) it's not rhodium plated, so that's why I haven't read about this with Cartier Trinity rings or b) there are relatively few Cartier Trinity rings so I just haven't run into a post about this.

TIA.
I have had no problems with the WG ring in the Cartier Trinity. There are a number of posts about the Cartier Trinity rings if you do a search
1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does Cartier still make a 2mm ring? I didn't see it when I (recently) looked through what I thought were photos of all their rolling rings! I loved DandiAndi's, you see!

I have been going through my late mother's jewelry today. She has a 14K tri-color rolling ring (not Cartier) that fits me, but I find it a bit large. I think it must be 3mm.

AGBF
34.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
After thinking about it, I should just go into Cartier and have them size me, as there is really no excuse, since it is about a 30 min train ride away for me. Actually going there would give me the perfect opportunity to try on both 2mm (if they still make those) and 3mm sizes. My only hesitation is that I want a vintage version, so I feel a bit odd going there just to get a size.

Ringsun - your Trinity ring is beautiful, thanks for posting!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 12:57:58 PM
Author: risingsun
Date: 4/4/2009 10:24:40 PM

I''ve read many posts about white gold needing to be re-(rhodium) plated, and wonder how this applies to Cartier jewelry. Is Cartier white gold rhodium plated?

Either a) it''s not rhodium plated, so that''s why I haven''t read about this with Cartier Trinity rings or b) there are relatively few Cartier Trinity rings so I just haven''t run into a post about this.

TIA.
I have had no problems with the WG ring in the Cartier Trinity. There are a number of posts about the Cartier Trinity rings if you do a search
1.gif
Thanks. My question isn''t so much if people have problems with them. My question is more why don''t they have to be replated (if they don''t...) when everyone always talks about white gold wedding bands having to be replated.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
I have a vintage 2 mm one also... Perfect size :) You can wear it alone or with another ring. I had to have mine polished but I bought it used :)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My "les must" ring is 3mm each and about 8mm to 1cm thick total when I''m wear it. The engraving on this size is pretty easy to read but probably wouldn''t be on the smaller size. I do wish I had the smaller one though... it would definitely look better stacked. The really thick trinity rings (5mm each?) are too bulky for my taste. I hope this helps you a little. What seller are you getting your from? DH purchased mine online as well and had a really good experience.

PS: Im a complete idiot- what does "les must de cartier" even mean?

cartier243895735.gif

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/5/2009 1:16:17 PM
Author: AGBF

Does Cartier still make a 2mm ring? I didn''t see it when I (recently) looked through what I thought were photos of all their rolling rings! I loved DandiAndi''s, you see!

I have been going through my late mother''s jewelry today. She has a 14K tri-color rolling ring (not Cartier) that fits me, but I find it a bit large. I think it must be 3mm.

AGBF

34.gif

Hey AGBF, I contacted Cartier recently about this. They currently only make 3 mm (1,050$) and 5 mm (1,800$) sized trinity rings, unfortunately. I''ve been eyeing those bands, but I might go with Memoire, since they make a 2 mm rolling ring, which is what I would ideally want. I think 3 mm is just too big for me.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Cartier white gold owners, you don''t know if Cartier''s white gold is rhodium plated, no idea, you never thought about it? Curious.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:31:07 AM
Cartier white gold owners, you don''t know if Cartier''s white gold is rhodium plated, no idea, you never thought about it? Curious.

I have no clue but it wouldn''t matter to me either way. I love that the colors are so subtle and that its a vintage piece so I don''t think I''d get it replated if it were rhodium plated.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
That''s a good point. I wouldn''t touch it either. I was just wondering because EVERY time I read about white gold wedding bands on pricescrope, I read about the whole rhodium plating thing. So what gives with Cartier? And VCA? Who knows. Their white gold is absolutely beautiful. VCA makes most of its high jewelry pieces in white gold. They skip platinum for the most part. Huh. I guess it''s a trade secret.
1.gif

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny - They use proprietary alloys (palladium and/or platinum based) that are far less yellow than the majority of WG alloys. Stuller''s X1 alloy is commercially available and does not need plating either.

BTW - all these alloys are slightly greyer/darker than most platinum and palladium, and considerably more dark than rhodium.

To be honest, I also find that people on PS obsess about finish and polish way more than the average, which is probably why you see so much about replating WG. I go the other way - really don''t like the silvery shininess of new rhodium-plated pieces, and I''d much rather have patina and/or good natural colour alloys

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 5:29:02 PM
Author: oldmancoyote
Imdanny - They use proprietary alloys (palladium and/or platinum based) that are far less yellow than the majority of WG alloys. Stuller''s X1 alloy is commercially available and does not need plating either.

BTW - all these alloys are slightly greyer/darker than most platinum and palladium, and considerably more dark than rhodium.

To be honest, I also find that people on PS obsess about finish and polish way more than the average, which is probably why you see so much about replating WG. I go the other way - really don''t like the silvery shininess of new rhodium-plated pieces, and I''d much rather have patina and/or good natural colour alloys
I see. Very interesting. Thank you so much.

People on pricescope obsess about jewelry period so I think that''s probably par for the course.

You''ve answered my question. I suspected their allow was substantially different. Thank you for confirmation.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 12:24:31 AM
Author: oobiecoo
My 'les must' ring is 3mm each and about 8mm to 1cm thick total when I'm wear it. The engraving on this size is pretty easy to read but probably wouldn't be on the smaller size. I do wish I had the smaller one though... it would definitely look better stacked. The really thick trinity rings (5mm each?) are too bulky for my taste. I hope this helps you a little. What seller are you getting your from? DH purchased mine online as well and had a really good experience.

PS: Im a complete idiot- what does 'les must de cartier' even mean?
Okay, I understand now! I totally misunderstood the width of the trinity ring. Ideally, I want the TOTAL width to be in the 5mm ballpark, not each band. Thank you for your post oobiecoo, as the "light bulb" just went off. :)

So yes, I agree that the 2mm width would be best for me, as I think 3mm would be too wide for my finger. Additionally, I would like to be able to stack it with other rings in the future...now I just need to get fitted. However, after reading that Cartier does not sell 2mm rings, I am wondering if sizing on the 3mm would be accurate in relation to the 2mm.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
^^^I like the 3mm rings because they already look like stacked rings. I think there is something very iconic about the Trinity and I have had a great deal of enjoyment wearing it. My other right hand rings haven't been out of the jewelry box in quite awhile. You'll have to try it on, of course, buy I don't find that the ring is too wide. The rolling style is different than a solid band of that width.

RE: the question about the white gold band...I don't know if it was rhodium plated. I suspect not. It doesn't need dipping, but the entire ring needs to be polished from time to time.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 5:29:02 PM
Author: oldmancoyote

So does that mean there''s no nickel in their white gold?

I''m dying to get a trinity ring myself but my nickel allergy is keeping me from doing it.

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Elle,

There is no nickel in Cartier white gold or rose gold. Something to keep in mind- european jewelers cannot use nickel as an alloy in their jewelry items because it is banned.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 2:27:47 PM
Author: choyoyo
Elle,

There is no nickel in Cartier white gold or rose gold. Something to keep in mind- european jewelers cannot use nickel as an alloy in their jewelry items because it is banned.
Thanks choyoyo- But I was told the trinity rings sold in the states aren''t made in Europe. That''s why I was wondering. Would they abide by the same regulations if the rings aren''t made there?

choyoyo

Rough_Rock
Ah, I didn''t know that bit. But I emailed the SF store asking specifically about these trinity rings and whether they used nickel. They stated that Cartier never uses nickel with their gold.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2009 3:33:49 PM
Author: choyoyo
Ah, I didn''t know that bit. But I emailed the SF store asking specifically about these trinity rings and whether they used nickel. They stated that Cartier never uses nickel with their gold.
Excellent. Thank you so much
9.gif

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is an older post, but my BF and I were in the Chicago Cartier recently and they had a new "mini" trinity with 2 rows of pave diamonds which was lovely. i don''t know if theyre making this mini w/o the diamonds, but it was probably in the size range youre looking for. I wear a 4.5 and it looked just perfect on my finger.

The price is more of course with the diamonds--$4.5k if I''m remembering right. But so pretty. And the diamonds would certainly take care of any plating issues. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results