shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have upgraded... 3ct question !

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone !

I have been diligently watching this particular 3ct diamond for the past few months, from a very reputable diamond vendor that is frequently praised on this forum :

3ct H VS1 AGS 000, HCA 0.9 TIC (it is actually slightly over 3ct but do not want to reveal the exact ct weight for the time being).

screen_shot_2012-09-10_at_11.png

what do you all think of this diamond ?

very recently, the diamond price dropped from $69K to $53K (verified that this is NOT a mistake !!), and with PS discount it is at $50K !! This is an unbelievable price. With diamond prices hiking up so dramatically for the past 2 years, this is really one of the rare chances that I am able to upgrade within budget. I did not anticipate this chance to come so soon, but it seems like this is a do it now or wait for a very very long time before something like this comes along again.

If i do proceed, I will be upgrading using my currently 2.32ct G VS1 diamond, in which i am able to use the full retail $ i paid for to upgrade (verified with the vendor). This trade in will cover 60% of the upgraded diamond price.

for the balance :

1) pay by $$

2) trade in 1 of my other diamonds from my studs (1.20ct E VVS2 GIAXXX H&A) and the rest with $$. While i absolutely love my perfect ice white studs, I have literally worn them about 10 times in total over the past few years.The vendor is also very open for me to do the trade in, and is verifying how much he can offer. I have done one trade in with this vendor in the past and I did receive exceptionally high price, in fact more than the retail $ i paid for... I actually gained $2000 from it !! The drawback is of course i will end up only having 1 "straggler" diamond laying around.

3) trade in BOTH diamonds - 1 diamond will be used to fund the 3ct upgrade, and the other one can fund a smaller pair of studs with a slightly lower color and clarity range. For example, the estimated trade in value for one of the E VVS2 diamonds can actually get me a pair of G VS2 diamonds at 0.9-1.0ct each.

I just want to run by you all who have had upgrading experience in the past to see which option is the best, or maybe just not think about this at all and enjoy my current 2.32ct ?

If i do proceed I will again ask VC to re-create the exact same halo setting and I will let go of my current one to a good home ;-)

thank you all for this sanity check in advance !! :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No advice on the what-to-trade question, but that diamond is yummy.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with #3-- trading in both of the smaller diamonds (regardless of what you do with the larger 2+ carat one). I think 90 points each at G color is probably going to be just right for you in every way. Plus you get money toward the 3 carat stone.

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1347339135|3265796 said:
I'd go with #3-- trading in both of the smaller diamonds (regardless of what you do with the larger 2+ carat one). I think 90 points each at G color is probably going to be just right for you in every way. Plus you get money toward the 3 carat stone.

Oh, I agree! That sounds like a fantastic option. You still get gorgeous studs and the fab new rock...I would jump at this chance.
Can't wait to see it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nomissjane|1347347997|3265808 said:

Oh, I agree! That sounds like a fantastic option. You still get gorgeous studs and the fab new rock...I would jump at this chance.
Can't wait to see it.

Yes, this is the option I would choose! Oooh, so excited for you Frankie!!! :appl: Good luck!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for option 3. No sense having a single stud laying around (-ans I mean that in a DIAMOND way :Up_to_something: ) :lol:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say trade in all 3 stones for the 3ct one also! Make sure your tolerance for the H color will be okay in this size, too.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade it all in for the honker.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, I agree! Trade in all three and get 1 ct. H VS studs! No point in the studs being higher color than your ring since they can't be seen from the side! Plus, one carat studs can have delicate little jackets made by Victor for when you want them to be larger. :bigsmile:

Just doing a price search, that is an outstanding price! I am seeing $57k+ for similar stones. I'll be interested to know where you're getting this kind of price! Grab the stone while you can!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1347365953|3265880 said:
Goodness, I agree! Trade in all three and get 1 ct. H VS studs! No point in the studs being higher color than your ring since they can't be seen from the side! Plus, one carat studs can have delicate little jackets made by Victor for when you want them to be larger. :bigsmile:

Just doing a price search, that is an outstanding price! I am seeing $57k+ for similar stones. I'll be interested to know where you're getting this kind of price! Grab the stone while you can!

Ditto!!

Another vote for option no 3. I can't wait for you to get it and come back and show us tons of pics!! :twirl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the others, I would definitely trade all three in and get that honker! I am long thr numbers, I bet it is a gorgeous diamond!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too would trade in all three stones as it probably makes much more sense financially and you'll still have enviable studs!

Can't wait to see a picture of the stone!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for trading all 3 stones for that yummy large rock! That way you get a gorgeous upgrade and a pair of studs that you might get more use out of.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for #3!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
#3, #3, #3!!!!!! :lickout:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very nice stone.. :love: i'd go with #3

Kayden

Rough_Rock
Even though I am a quiet lurker/noobie ringing in here, I would whole-heartedly agree with the others to trade all 3 in on that gorgeous diamond!

I have followed your diamond journeys and all of your lovely ring choices....can't wait to see this one too!! :)

fickle_au

Rough_Rock
I've been in love with your ring and I'm looking forward to seeing how creative you get with this new one.

I say trade all 3 in.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
thank you everyone for your advice !!

still waiting on the quote from the vendor, will update you all very soon ! ::)

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
update :

received quote for the vendor, $19,000 for BOTH diamonds. Vendor explained that the quoted price is at 70% of current retail value. what do you all think ?

I will be seeing the 3ct diamond this coming Tuesday and will take tons of pics... however i will have a very tight window after to make my final decision and surrender all 3 diamonds.

in the meantime, please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions !

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you need the funds immediately to upgrade, then you should go ahead and turn all 3 in and just take a loss if you love the diamond! There's no guarantee that the diamond will still be available if you wait for your studs to eventually sell or if the price will still even be the same. I know I love my 3 ct RB and have no regrets spending a little extra to get it!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Mom2boys !

the diamond's proportion is really ideal, i love the high crown. the make or break now is the H color - i need to see how i like this color grade in a larger stone. I hope all goes well !

i have a feeling that the 3ct diamond should have priced higher to begin with, so the slightly lower trade in quote evens out in the end? or am i thinking wrong?

i am also concurrently thinking about the setting... if i should let it go to a good home, or make good use of it (my mom loves my setting and can use it for one of her loose diamonds) ?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that's a pretty decent trade for those stones esp if you didn't buy them from this vendor (did you?)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The H color is my sweet spot for a diamond of this size (and for Phoenix, too, w/ her 5ct RB)! 99% of the time it faces up white, especially against my G colored side stones in my 3 stone ring--can't really notice a difference. The only time I see a slight tint from the side is in bathroom lighting.

If you can keep your VC setting in the family, I would definitely let your mom enjoy wearing it--you can have twin rings!

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, the original diamonds were not purchased from this vendor, so yes i guess you're right the offer is very decent in this case.

Mom2boys, oh yes, we could be upgrade twins... you had a 2.3ct too !! did you see a great size difference ? i hope you are not suffering from DSS (yet) !!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There was a huge difference in size to me from the 2.3ct to the 3ct! It will be especially pronounced once you halo it w/ another VC Emilya! I think your ring could give Phoenix's 5 ct RB some serious bling competition!

No DSS for me w/ this diamond--pretty content w/ the size and I hope you will be, too! However, I do have DSS w/ my current studs and will have to upgrade them w/ my vendor for hopefully 3+ total carat weight studs in the future!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mom2boys|1347586750|3267885 said:
There was a huge difference in size to me from the 2.3ct to the 3ct! It will be especially pronounced once you halo it w/ another VC Emilya! I think your ring could give Phoenix's 5 ct RB some serious bling competition!

No DSS for me w/ this diamond--pretty content w/ the size and I hope you will be, too! However, I do have DSS w/ my current studs and will have to upgrade them w/ my vendor for hopefully 3+ total carat weight studs in the future!

Ha ha, Frankie, if you are going to halo yr 3ct, I'd love to see it. I am thinking of sending my 3ct to Victor to have him set it into the Emylia. I am not halo'ing the 5ct however, at least not yet, he he!! :Up_to_something: :wink2:

H should be ok. I am very colour-sensitive but have decided to let size trump colour. A friend has a 5ct I and when I see it, I am totally blinded by this ring's beauty, amazing sparkling beauty and thus don't notice any colour at all.

Btw, USD19k is a very decent offer. Sure, you could get slightly more if you held out, but the price on that 3ct is VERY attractive. Actually, you should be saving more on this 3ct, that is a huge price reduction; you wouldn't get the same kind of price increase for your studs even if you held out...I'd say go for it!! :devil:

Mom2boys, yay, I can't wait to see your new studs!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
While I think this is a great deal I personally wouldn't take it...sorry to be the kill joy here. I know you and Mom think there is a noticable difference from 2.3 to a 3.0ct but to me it isn't enough to trade everything in for a just a little bit of extra finger coverage. Plus you now need to have a new Emilya made which is probably around another 4-6k just in the setting. My concern is you will go through all this and DSS will still set in and your 3ct halo won't keep you very happy past a few months. I would continue to save and watch the 3.5-4cts diamonds and get one of those as I think you have mentioned before that your long term diamond goal would be around 4cts (at least I think you have posted before about that size range being your sweet spot). Just my .02cents.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1347623140|3267983 said:
While I think this is a great deal I personally wouldn't take it...sorry to be the kill joy here. I know you and Mom think there is a noticable difference from 2.3 to a 3.0ct but to me it isn't enough to trade everything in for a just a little bit of extra finger coverage. Plus you now need to have a new Emilya made which is probably around another 4-6k just in the setting. My concern is you will go through all this and DSS will still set in and your 3ct halo won't keep you very happy past a few months. I would continue to save and watch the 3.5-4cts diamonds and get one of those as I think you have mentioned before that your long term diamond goal would be around 4cts (at least I think you have posted before about that size range being your sweet spot). Just my .02cents.

Ah ok, I didn't know that was your ultimate goal, Frankie, the 4ct. That changes my vote somewhat.

However, if you're not planning to upgrade to the 4ct within the next few months or even the next year or so, this may still be worthwhile. Just playing the devil's advocate here. But then again, I'd be wary of spending yet another good chunk of money on another expensive (albeit beautiful) setting. I am speaking from personal experience, having wasted so much money on various settings only to end up throwing them away or selling them at a loss.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Written by Sarahbear621 » 14 Sep 2012 11:45:While I think this is a great deal I personally wouldn't take it...sorry to be the kill joy here. I know you and Mom think there is a noticable difference from 2.3 to a 3.0ct but to me it isn't enough to trade everything in for a just a little bit of extra finger coverage. Plus you now need to have a new Emilya made which is probably around another 4-6k just in the setting. My concern is you will go through all this and DSS will still set in and your 3ct halo won't keep you very happy past a few months. I would continue to save and watch the 3.5-4cts diamonds and get one of those as I think you have mentioned before that your long term diamond goal would be around 4cts (at least I think you have posted before about that size range being your sweet spot). Just my .02cents.

I'm sorta with Sarah here - if you sell the studs and you pocket the 50k you'd spend on this one plus the 6k a new halo would cost, that's 75k in the bank waiting to be spent on your *dream* stone. If you buy the 3ct now you save 6-7k based on the prices you quoted earlier for how much stones like this are generally going for, but when you upgrade you lose that 6k you just saved on the setting plus you have to deal with the hassles and potential financial losses that come with selling/upgrading... maybe the hassles are worth it to you, I have no idea!

ETA: just read Phoenix' post - since I'm not the expert in buying and selling honker rocks.. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results