shape
carat
color
clarity

For those who have owned a smaller ACA (eg. under .70) how long til you wanted to go bigger?

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
I have gone back and forth in my mind about what size ACA to get myself. I adore larger stones around the 1.3ct mark but I just can justify the cost at this point (or maybe ever). I played with the idea of setting an ACA in a double halo similar to the Tiffany Soleste but my heart just doesn't feel the same about a round cut in a halo as it does in a solitaire.

I'm thinking that something around the 0.6-0.7ct mark would be a budget friendly option while still having a decent WOW factor as well.

I guess I just worry that I will still be lusting after a bigger stone, so I'd love to hear from owners of smaller ACAs and whether or not the dreaded DSS set in too quickly.

The upgrade policy is definitely a massive perk that I may take up some day but I would really love to hold onto my first ACA forever as it would hold a special place in my heart, so I'm really hoping that this size range will still be satisfying, any thoughts??

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
My first ACA was a .718 I SI1. I had it for a little over seven years before I upgraded to a 1.17 I VS2 ACA. I loved my first diamond up until the day I sent it back to WF. The only reason I upgraded is because I really wanted a diamond that looked proportional to my finger (size 6.75).

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Can't go wrong with WF if you want to start with a bit smaller diamond to at least get something on your finger then incrementally upgrading as the years go by, as finances allow.

theshirlgirlNS

Rough_Rock
If you adore bigger stones, you may likely want to upgrade as soon as it fits into your budget/priorities. What's great about WF is that you can start where you are comfortable, and then upgrade as you see fit in the future. But as you said, you may just fall in love with your first and never want to let it go :)

As having had a halo first and then switching to a solitaire, I agree with the wow factor of a superbly cut stone standing on its own. Even if it is not the initial size you lust after, its performance is likely to keep you smiling for awhile (you seem to value cut otherwise you'd be looking at non ACA's that are bigger but may not perform so well).

As was pointed out to me in another thread you could also consider a ring enhancer to turn it into a 3 ring style for times when you want some extra bling, but still be able to wear the solitaire on its own. Just another option down the road - add a set of sister ACA's to your first love!

If you spend time on PS you may always be lusting after a bigger stone... :bigsmile:

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I bought my studs with the intention of upgrading. I’m itching to do it after a year….!

secretagentlaura

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My lovely ACA is 0.73 (I don't remember any more decimal places) and I bought it 2012. I actually don't have upgrade plans.

I've added to my jewelry collection a ridiculous amount in the nine years since. I guess I like having a choice of rings, pendants, earrings, etc. to choose from instead of a single diamond ring that just gets bigger and bigger over the years.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone this is wonderful advice. I definitely do value cut above all and am happy to go for a smaller size if it means better performance. My finger is a size 5.25 so I think my ACA will still look impressive. So excited!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Are you set on a solitaire? One thing I have considered doing is buying a few stones at the .40 mark and doing a band of ACAs.

sugarcloud

Shiny_Rock
Are you set on a solitaire? One thing I have considered doing is buying a few stones at the .40 mark and doing a band of ACAs.

That would be stunning! I definitly want a solitaire first but I'm betting I will be wanting more ACA's the moment I own one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results