shape
carat
color
clarity

For those of you with long(er) hair... what do you do with it at night?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm growing my hair out for the first time in years and years and years... and it's making me INSANE at night. When I get into bed I read for a while so I'm kind of propped up, and I flip my hair "up" so it's not going down the back of my neck at that point, but when the actual trying to sleep part starts... UGH. It's just everywhere. Up TR's nose, tickling my face (we sleep with a ceiling fan on), getting stuck under someone's arm when trying to turn over, etc. Annoying! I've tried some ponytail options, but nothing is really comfortable. Maybe when it's long enough to braid things will get easier, but until then... any suggestions?! And the crazy part is I used to have hair long enough to sit on and I don't remember it being a problem at all! Maybe I'm just getting less tolerant of life's little inconveniences as I age, LOL!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is growing out too. It's just below shoulder length now, so there's not much I can do.
But years ago it was way down my back. At that time I used to braid it at night, so it wouldn't be in knots in the morning.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair is growing out too. It's just below shoulder length now, so there's not much I can do.
But years ago it was way down my back. At that time I used to braid it at night, so it wouldn't be in knots in the morning.

That's about the length of mine too and it's so "in between" that it's making me bananas!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not tight ponytail.

loose knot on top of head with a scrunchie, not a ponytail holder.
loose hair stuck in armpit :blech:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don’t have real long hair..but it’s to my shoulders. I can’t sleep with it falling in my face because I’m a flipper. I don’t stay in one place. It makes me crazy. I put my hair in a low pony with a scrunchy.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Long hair here and I use a scrunchie at night. It keeps it off my neck (night flashes) and in the morning is so much easier to tame for work!

Scrunchies remind me of the Sex and the City episode where Carrie tells her bf (Burger) that his novel is not accurate because, “No self-respecting NYer would be caught dead in a scrunchie!” :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Become a bag-lady.

DJ.jpg

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had long hair it went into a braid every night.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9CE2967E-4682-4EAC-B1B4-84B7D836DDE2.jpeg

In the interest of full disclosure, I can’t stand it in my face during the day either so I always have sunglasses on top of my head. Totally not contingent on sun, or even good weather of any kind. We could be in the middle of building an ark and loading pairs of animals on and this would be my hairdo.

(Please excuse the goofy birthday pic — it’s the only one I can find with my longer current hair and sunglasses.)

Hmmm... maybe I need to rethink this hair growing out thing

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rfisher, mamabee, slick - in the morning don't you end up with some weird "indent" from whatever you use to keep it in place? Or maybe you wash your hair ever day so it's not an issue? (I only wash mine every other day, which it seems to enjoy and makes it less dry.)

Kenny, if I thought it would work I'd give it a shot!

Asscherhalo, I can't wait until it's long enough to try that!

Last edited:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I used to braid it when it was long.

Maybe consider a silk wrap until it grows longer? Protects it from damage and will keep it contained.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to braid it when it was long.

Maybe consider a silk wrap until it grows longer? Protects it from damage and will keep it contained.

Hm. Interesting, I'll have to look into that. I did get satin pillow cases (which are super slick and slippery!) but the wrap is a whole 'nother level!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Loose bun/twist. It does get an indent, but I have wavy hair already. I also wear it up a lot so it doesn't matter that much for me. I cannot do short hair. I don't want to style it every day. Easier to do a bun or twist or Gibson tuck.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I had longer hair, I’d bun it up loosely to sleep, take it out in the morning, brush, maybe wash it and then.. bun it up again for most of the day. I have a lot of very thick, quite fine hair so couldn’t stand it being in my face or on the back of my neck.
I have since cut it short (think pixi/fauxhawke/quiff) and LOVE how no-maintenance it is! The platinum blonde however is ridiculously high maintenance :roll2::lol-2:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7E0987E2-D0C9-47CB-9C30-60EFAA293377.jpeg

elizat, I’m so jealous of wavy hair! Mine is STICK straight.

fox, this is what I’m growing out from! (Pic taken at a PS GTG in Vegas a few years ago, I’m with Jonathan from GOG and his lovely wife Vicki.). No color though; I’m far too lazy to keep anyrhing up.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two Loose braids

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two Loose braids

I hope I make it long enough to get to that point -- at the rate I'm going I'll be in the bathroom in the middle of the night letting my inner Mia Farrow back out with a pair of cuticle scissors from sheer frustration!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rfisher, mamabee, slick - in the morning don't you end up with some weird "indent" from whatever you use to keep it in place? Or maybe you wash your hair ever day so it's not an issue? (I only wash mine every other day, which it seems to enjoy and makes it less dry.)

Kenny, if I thought it would work I'd give it a shot!

Asscherhalo, I can't wait until it's long enough to try that!

Not all scruncies are equal in spreading out elastic area across its width . Have used cut off top of tube sock before.
I don’t have stick straight hair, and don’t wash everyday always. Don’t get a kink unless its In too tight or use one with narrow elastic, but maybe a wave that is not horrendous looking.
maybe bun isn’t correct term as I can see that could be wound tight, but a half done ponytail that’s not completely pulled through is a better term?

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to covid my hair is longer than it's been in years. Nearly mid back length. I put it in a high, but not tight ponytail at night. I can't stand it on my neck at night.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My hair has gotten very long during the pandemic. Usually I wear it just a few inches below my shoulders. I wear it in a very loose braid to sleep with a small fabric scrunchie on the end so it won't get damaged. Doing this it does not tangle, get in my way, and it is non-damaging to my hair. I can't sleep in a pony tail because I can feel it pulling my hair.

CMN

Brilliant_Rock
Strongly suggest a scrunchie - it will be softer on your hair and looser which means you can adjust so it is comfortable when you lay your head on your pillow.

ELN43

Rough_Rock
Long hair here down to the small of my back. I braid mine every night otherwise it gets so tangled by morning or I end up whipping DH in the face with it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Loose braid sometimes if I remember to do it. But mostly I just keep it up in a ponytail until I am lying down for the night. Then I just let it loose on the pillow since I'm a side/stomach sleeper anyway so it just kind of lays there lol.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine's pretty long. I try to remember to braid it at night... But normally I'm like @MeowMeow - it's in a ponytail until I lie down, and then I just yank the tie out and let it do whatever it wants.

I've definitely been woken by my hair bunched across my neck and tugging like it's trying to off me :???:

I just leave it open and spread out everywhere. My SO hates it he keeps getting whipped in the face but he’s learned to live with the pain lol (it’s down to my lower back). But sometimes I braid it in 2 loose braids when I feel like giving him a break. A loose knot would also work.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've had longish hair for most of ny adult life but it gets to a certain point where it gets super anoying at night lying on it and i know its time for a cut

2AB5954C-4041-4867-A0B1-D8934DD29084.png
AD096CC7-4EDE-4037-A9D2-5E800F37A2E1.png
What do you all think of this...?

That's a really great idea, especially being satin

a satin pillowcase is good to help avoid damage to long or treated hair

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I never tie my hair when I sleep. Doesn’t bother me at all. Opposite in the day though. Almost always in ponytail or messy bun as I can’t stand hair falling around my face.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
loose knot on top of head with a scrunchie, not a ponytail holder.
loose hair stuck in armpit :blech:
This!!!

The ponytail pleated hair in any form gives me a stiff neck...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results