shape
carat
color
clarity

For those considering Tiffany & Co...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

drwranger7

Rough_Rock
As I began my search for an engagement ring all I''ve heard is Tiffany''s is too expensive; it''s the same diamond whereever you buy it. This is very true. Here are some quotes I got from Tiffany''s to help guide those who may be considering buying the little blue box. (NOTE: the specs on the rocks are not specific, just a very general guideline)

Platinum Lucida Diamond Ring
.66 H VVS1 $6020
.70 H VVS2 $6320
.91 I VVS2 $8390
.92 H VS1 $9180

Hope this is helpful to some!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Does anybody have the specs on their diamonds ?

Good post lets keep this one going
1.gif

Paul Varjak

Rough_Rock
These prices are not too expensive if:

1. It is what you want.
2. It is what you can afford.

With luxury goods like diamonds, these two factors are all that matter.

P.S. Tiffany & Co. is a fine company with a great product. Just check out thier stock performance against other luxury retailers in an uneven ecomomy!

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
It seems to me that Tiffany's prices are essentially very close to the "retail replacement" values you get from an appraisel.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/18/2003 9:50:22 AM Paul Varjak wrote:

Just check out thier stock performance against other luxury retailers in an uneven ecomomy!
----------------
After the last few years I think we all have seen that stock performance of a company really means nothing except how you are perceived by potential investors. Fools are soon parted from their money.. doesn't the saying go something like that?
2.gif

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
To each his/her own - as they say. I'm sure they are very nice for that price!

drwranger7

Rough_Rock
Here's a little more information:

I went to Bailey Banks & Biddle, today. They are another famous jeweler around since the early 1800s. I got quotes on 2 rings from them:

Princess Diamond Solitaire in Platinum
.71ct G VS1 Well Cut $5200
1.00ct H VS2 Well Cut $6300

As you can see, the prices are quite lower than that of Tiffany & Co. Is there anyone else out there who has any quotes to offer?

Paul Varjak

Rough_Rock
Mara wrote that "fools are soon parted from thier money."

Therefore, a fool will never have enough money to afford Tiffany because they are always broke! Therefore, a wise man would have the money to spend on a luxury (i.e. non-essential item) like diamonds from somewhere like Tiffany's! I agree with this logic.

As far a stock price only being the perception of investors, that is sort of true. And as we all know with diamonds, perception is everything too. They have a lot in common, except stocks can be a good investment and diamonds almost never are. Diamonds are prettier.

The dot com bubble taught fools about investing in paper companies that had never shown a return. Tiffany, however, is not a dot.com bubble. They have solid, sustained growth over a long period of time and a sound marketing strategy. Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future performance. But capitialism will prevail: if people stop buying Tiffany, the stock will not prosper long. And the company will go under.

Fred3456

Rough_Rock
I do have some Tiffany prices:
all Lucida:
.73 e vvs2 8700
.74 f vs1 7760
.65 e vs1 7130
.67 g vvs2 6500
.71 h vvs1 6690
.77 f vs2 7730
.71 f vvs2 8220
.72 f vvs2 8320
.84 g vs1 8340

I agree, Tiffany diamonds are a luxury good. The fact that they are so expensive is what makes them popular. You don't buy a $80K Porsche just because their look and power is worth $80K. If you buy cars for speed and power, why not get a Camaro or something and save the cash. You get a Porsche because of its repuation and because not everyone can afford one.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/18/2003 7:42:07 PM Sly3333 wrote:

I agree, Tiffany diamonds are a luxury good. The fact that they are so expensive is what makes them popular. You don't buy a $80K Porsche just because their look and power is worth $80K. If you buy cars for speed and power, why not get a Camaro or something and save the cash. You get a Porsche because of its repuation and because not everyone can afford one.----------------

Couldnt agree more. But this forum has always had the reputation of being anti-Tiffany. Wether its because there is a bunch of vendors trying to fight for the visitors business or the mentality that what is right for them HAS to be the right way for everyone. From Mara calling Tiffany buyers FOOLS to posting an idiotic poll...Unfortunately this is what you can expect from the regulars. Now for someone to say "Fools are soon parted from their money", would be like me saying "get a life" after seeing how someone spends all their time on this board.
naughty.gif

Just my .02...enjoy!

jenibear

Shiny_Rock
I believe it's up to the individual to decide whether they want a Tiffany diamond or not. I myself love Tiffany's sterling silver jewelry and have several pieces - but would never buy their diamond rings. I don't see the logic and would like someone to enlighten me.

I buy tiffany jewelry because they are original pieces - the same reason why I buy cute coach bags or great nine west shoes. The brand offers an original piece of merchandise that when replicated is often of a lesser quality.

The same can't be said for a diamond, IMHO.

In my mind, if two diamonds are equal on all fronts there is no reason to buy it at Tiffany's.

People can tell I have on a tiffany necklace and use a coach bag because the brands are obvious to many people - at least in my circle. No one would ever be able to tell whether I do or do not have a Tiffany ering.

Or am I missing something here?

Jenibear

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I am always amused when I go into a Tiffany's jewelry store and let some sales person try to sell me a diamond, pearls or colored stone. I go along as if I was just some guy in love and needing something nice for my lady. Most of them are pretty good at sales but lacking somewhat in product knowledge. I don't expect them to be gemologist but trying to sell me a "blue-white" diamond is a little much from a company that prides itself on their product. Yes, I too have purchased something made from sterling there but why would anyone buy a 3/4 carat diamond at Tiffany's when they can get a 1.25 carat diamond with the same color, clarity and cut somewhere else? Don't tell me they do because they have the money! That does not hold water! If they had the money they would not be buying a 3/4 carat diamond. They would get a 1.50+ and just write a check. Most Tiffany diamonds cannot hold a candle to one of the super ideal cut, hearts and arrows that most here are used to. And don't even try to ask for a Sarin report for the crown and pavilion angles.
dimonbob,GG
www.whiteflash.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/18/2003 10:13:21 PM Kiz wrote:

----------------
On 9/18/2003 7:42:07 PM Sly3333 wrote:

But this forum has always had the reputation of being anti-Tiffany. Wether its because there is a bunch of vendors trying to fight for the visitors business or the mentality that what is right for them HAS to be the right way for everyone. From Mara calling Tiffany buyers FOOLS to posting an idiotic poll...Unfortunately this is what you can expect from the regulars. Now for someone to say 'Fools are soon parted from their money', would be like me saying 'get a life' after seeing how someone spends all their time on this board.
naughty.gif

Just my .02...enjoy!
----------------

Au contraire...I am not anti-Tiffany at all..in fact I own many pieces of jewelry from Tiffany. But an e-ring? Nah...too common in my eyes and boy talk about *lazy*. Building our ring custom gets more oohs and ahhs than my friend's regular ole Tiffany e-ring--if that was something I was interested in. Which I'm not.

Let me clarify...I wasn't noting Tiffany buyers are fools, in fact I was noting that in reference to the post that said their stock was up so they must be doing something right. My point there was that stock rising doesn't mean much since many general investors aren't the brightest bulb in the lot...and those fools are often parted from their $$ as we have seen in the past with the bubble bursting. No one saw it more than us here in the Silicon Valley. But if you want to take that analogy and make it apply to Tiffany buyers, by all means...be my guest! I think it's very apropos.

My idiotic poll seems to be doing quite well, could it be that Tiffany lovers who view the poll & general sentiments as anti-Tiffany are just unhappy with the results? Hmm. Possibly.

tongue.gif

Lastly, the 'get a life' comment is so predictable for an internet forum...people assume that because others are regulars on a forum they don't have a life? Am I mistaken or aren't you posting here as well?

9.gif

saint.gif
wavey.gif

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 9/19/2003 12:49:23 AM Mara wrote:

My idiotic poll seems to be doing quite well, could it be that Tiffany lovers who view the poll & general sentiments as anti-Tiffany are just unhappy with the results? Hmm. Possibly.

tongue.gif

Lastly, the 'get a life' comment is so predictable for an internet forum...people assume that because others are regulars on a forum they don't have a life? Am I mistaken or aren't you posting here as well?

9.gif

saint.gif
wavey.gif

----------------

General sentiment is not the reason that I use to make any purchase. Therefor the result of your "scientific" poll has no effect on my past or future decisions. I unlike some people realize that what is right for me and my situation may not be right for others.

And as far as me posting here, Im sure you can view the stats on your own, but incase you're feeling *lazy* here it is:
Kiz - 38 posts in 95 days
Mara - 2,483 posts in 324 days
eek.gif

I trust you can handle the math on this one.
12.gif

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
The endless debate of whether or not tiffany is better is really comes down to simple economics. Does "Tiffany" create added value? and can anyone tell?

as for my opinion, not that it matters, tiffany is only as good as the crowd you "run" with. if money is status, and names are status, then yes there will be added value. If you or your friends consider what it is for what it is, then the "added-value" will be much less. thus making it overpriced.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I am an urbanite in a large, metropolitan city.

A couple of my girlfriends sport Tiffany e-rings.

Nice rings, but...

If buying an engagement ring means that you're going for the Ferrari, and you're aiming for the keeping-up-with-the-Joneses brand factor...try Harry Winston. Tiffany's pretty bourgeois. More like a nice Volvo.
11.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/22/2003 11:41:37 PM TheDiamondangel wrote:

Winston...or Graff!----------------

And *that* would be a more sophisticated Life.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
If a person's circle is so impressed by exclusivity, then surely it would be better to go with a handpicked diamond and a one-off designer ring from a private designer jeweller (such as Mark Morrell) rather than common old Tiffany's.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 9/24/2003 11:53:35 AM Bagpuss wrote:

If a person's circle is so impressed by exclusivity, then surely it would be better to go with a handpicked diamond and a one-off designer ring from a private designer jeweller (such as Mark Morrell) rather than common old Tiffany's.
----------------

Yep.....I'd agree 100% with you. That's why I still feel that most (not all, but most) in the Tiffany's camp are primarily focused on the "name" or "status".

Exclusivity, it seems, is desired as long as someone else will recognize the name/exclusivity. After all, it's hard to impress friends with a name that means nothing to them.

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
She won't be wearing that little blue box
It's forgotten and tucked away
It's the beauty of the diamond
That's there with you to stay.

Put your time and care and money
Toward the stone she's longing for
This forum's an excellent place to start
For a diamond she'll adore!

All the best to you!
wavey.gif
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree on the 'off-the-beaten-path' idea for rings...I get a little thrill when someone asks about my ring and I say that it was custom....seems as though custom work seems to be some unachieavable expensive item when in reality it is cheaper than or as expensive as a typical designer ring...and it's made FOR YOU...which is so much more fun than typical settings.
1.gif
But people tend to have a 'WOW Really!' attitude and I just nod...them think what they want!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results