shape
carat
color
clarity

For The Experts:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anthonyd

Rough_Rock
Can you guys check out these two links and post your comments?

http://www.diamonds.icestore.com.au/diamonds-diamond_information.htm

http://www.diamonds.icestore.com.au/diamonds%20-%20Ideal%20Cut.htm

Thank you!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just reviewed the info at those links. The tolerances constituting the highest grade of "very good" is waaaaaaaaaay to broad.

Anthonyd

Rough_Rock
I heard that from someone before(way too broad)on PS. I emailed HRD about it and never received a reply. Although, I had also emailed a diamond dealer in Belgium (can't find the email in my trash bin) and they told me that "ideal cut" is loosely used term. Also stated that "Very Good" on an HRD cert should give any consumer complete confidence in an excellent cut diamond.

I am not defending or promoting ideal and/or HRD terms or grading etc. I just find the issue of cut to be soooooo confusing!

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
I think the cut adviser that is on pricescope is a pretty good tool. I think most diamonds you see labelled ideal will be between 34 and 35.5 crown angle, and 40-41.5 pavillion angle.

A lot of the labelling of an ideal diamond is superficial. Many of the cut grading systems have clear loopholes, and don't guarentee the diamond will look much better than your average cut diamond.

I'd think your best bet would be to concern yourself with what makes the cut good, and get an idea of how the combination of angles effect the qualities of the diamond. Forget the term ideal, as it is widely misused and a poor representation. When most people here use the term "ideal", we refer to those with good proportions, such as those shown by the HCA.

Here is a link
https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/27/2004 11:48:56 AM Anthonyd wrote:

I heard that from someone before(way too broad)on PS.

----------------

Actually, the HRD chart and Garry's (those appearing with the HCA scores) overlay quite nicely. It's just a pain to convert the scales...

So I guess those top HRD cut stones would come with top HCA scores (you can check further how these two standards relate playin the HRD grade specs on the HCA) - which does not make them "Harts and Arrows Ideal" since the details of symmetry are missing from the picture.

Any swatch of that chart can be called "ideal" by someone - if tighter is always better is up to you to judge, IMO.

Anthonyd

Rough_Rock
Interesting, anyone else have any comments on those links?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results