shape
carat
color
clarity

For Singaporeans- advice needed.

jz77

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am planning to buy my engagement ring from either Canary Diamonds or Jann Paul. Would appreciate your advice on them (price and service wise).

Jann Paul is more expensive as they have their own ideal cut and of course i would prefer it to be cheaper if possible. It seems like Canary Diamonds to filter their round brilliant diamonds to be GIA triple ex, is this good enough? how is this compared to JannPaul's ideal cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this for you because I do think we have a couple of people from Singapore!

jz77

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1358295443|3356421 said:
Bumping this for you because I do think we have a couple of people from Singapore!

Thanks diamondseeker2006 :D

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
jz77|1358260844|3355962 said:
Jann Paul is more expensive as they have their own ideal cut and of course i would prefer it to be cheaper if possible. It seems like Canary Diamonds to filter their round brilliant diamonds to be GIA triple ex, is this good enough? how is this compared to JannPaul's ideal cut? Thanks :)

This is hard to say, without knowing the range of GIA EX which Canary permits. There is a range of GIA EX which many believe superior to others. For that matter, what JP calls "ideal" is also important to know before any opinion can be given.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know about Jann Paul but I have bought some few diamonds from Canary and have looked at many others they carry. Their GIA triple-excellent range is very wide. They have some nice ones and some not very nice! 8)

Their prices are also very high as they are a B&M establishment.

Why don't you buy from PS online vendors? I have bought many and am so much more happy with the quality of their diamonds, prices and customer service.

jz77

Rough_Rock
John Pollard|1358309955|3356580 said:
jz77|1358260844|3355962 said:
Jann Paul is more expensive as they have their own ideal cut and of course i would prefer it to be cheaper if possible. It seems like Canary Diamonds to filter their round brilliant diamonds to be GIA triple ex, is this good enough? how is this compared to JannPaul's ideal cut? Thanks :)

This is hard to say, without knowing the range of GIA EX which Canary permits. There is a range of GIA EX which many believe superior to others. For that matter, what JP calls "ideal" is also important to know before any opinion can be given.

That is true. Thanks John. I was just wondering how good are the reputation of these two companies. I see alot of good comments about JP from a local singapore forum.

jz77

Rough_Rock
Phoenix|1358315257|3356612 said:
I don't know about Jann Paul but I have bought some few diamonds from Canary and have looked at many others they carry. Their GIA triple-excellent range is very wide. They have some nice ones and some not very nice! 8)

Their prices are also very high as they are a B&M establishment.

Why don't you buy from PS online vendors? I have bought many and am so much more happy with the quality of their diamonds, prices and customer service.

Hi Phoenix, their prices not as high as JP. How did you find Canary? Their service good and how about their settings, is it good? (I am seriously considering buying from them rather than JP).

I am going there personally to see the diamond(s) before I buy them. Ive heard many good things about JP - their service and also their ideal cut.

PS vendors, I am actually looking at a WF ACA diamond. After tax and everything it is about SGD$12,950.00. The diamond that Canary quoted me, seems okay. I have posted it in my other post here. Basically, i do understand that I will not get a ACA quality diamond from that diamond but just a diamond which will be sparkly etc to us untrained people. :) (if you know what I mean). The diamond i can get GST refund also.

Other than Canary and JP, any others you recommend? I am corresponding with Huen Diamonds as well.

jz77

Rough_Rock
and Phoenix, i forgot to mention. I'm abit skeptical of buying online as I cannot see the diamond and should there be any problems (i have to send it back, insure it). I dont have a appraiser here where I live. So all in all, i would prefer not to buy online.

best to visit both jewelers in person, check out their diamonds and prices before you make decisions. This way, you have ball park figures to compare prices with and can buy with confidence.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jz77|1358318523|3356642 said:
and Phoenix, i forgot to mention. I'm abit skeptical of buying online as I cannot see the diamond and should there be any problems (i have to send it back, insure it). I dont have a appraiser here where I live. So all in all, i would prefer not to buy online.

It sounds to me like you want to buy locally and that's fine. I don't really understand it (esp as you're buying F VS, not like you're buying say an Si2 quality stone where eyecleaness is subjective) but obviously it's your choice. Just be mindful that you'd be charged more (not sure how you'd get GST refund but that's ok you don't need to tell me) and the quality (cut most notably) of the diamonds not as good.

In terms of appraisers, there are a few. I normally use Mr Zeng of Nanyang. You can google him.

I stay well clear of the B&M's. I understand your reluctance but am a fairly seasoned online purchaser and am comfortable with online vendors.

If you have to go with Canary, make sure you ask for William (the boss) or Steven (his son). The other staff are ok but not terribly knowledgeable. I used to deal with Bonne but she really p*ssed me off recently as she told me that my 5.318ct diamond was "too smal", "too yellow" and looked "hazy"!! :angryfire: This stone is large, not yellow (an H) and has NO fluor (and even if it did, it wouldn't necessarily be hazy)!! :rolleyes: I think it was her (mis-placed) tactic of trying to get me to return the stone I'd bought and buy from them instead. Even if she'd been nice or even just honest but diplomatic, I still wouldn't have bought from them, as their 5ct's run at least 100k more expensive than what I'd paid.

jz77

Rough_Rock
Phoenix|1358324332|3356662 said:
jz77|1358318523|3356642 said:

It sounds to me like you want to buy locally and that's fine. I don't really understand it (esp as you're buying F VS, not like you're buying say an Si2 quality stone where eyecleaness is subjective) but obviously it's your choice. Just be mindful that you'd be charged more (not sure how you'd get GST refund but that's ok you don't need to tell me) and the quality (cut most notably) of the diamonds not as good.

In terms of appraisers, there are a few. I normally use Mr Zeng of Nanyang. You can google him.

I stay well clear of the B&M's. I understand your reluctance but am a fairly seasoned online purchaser and am comfortable with online vendors.

If you have to go with Canary, make sure you ask for William (the boss) or Steven (his son). The other staff are ok but not terribly knowledgeable. I used to deal with Bonne but she really p*ssed me off recently as she told me that my 5.318ct diamond was "too smal", "too yellow" and looked "hazy"!! :angryfire: This stone is large, not yellow (an H) and has NO fluor (and even if it did, it wouldn't necessarily be hazy)!! :rolleyes: I think it was her (mis-placed) tactic of trying to get me to return the stone I'd bought and buy from them instead. Even if she'd been nice or even just honest but diplomatic, I still wouldn't have bought from them, as their 5ct's run at least 100k more expensive than what I'd paid.

I see. I am corresponding with Marie from Canary at the moment. I dont know how to contact William or his son as Marie is the one who replied my email. I am not from Singapore so i can get GST refund.

Which online seller do you normally order from? WF?

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Jz77,

Is the quality of the setting important and are you willing to pay higher for a high quality setting? I find workmanship in Singapore not as good compared to WF and MM. No doubt, the setting can be up to 50% higher due to wages and etc, but I believe the jewelry smith in Singapore are in volume business.

As for diamond, it makes no sense for you to buy online and send to Singapore to incur GST. I've been sending my online purchases to HK which is tax free. I think JP might be a good source of super ideal diamond in Singapore as long you get all the diamonds specs before you purchase. Or you can just purchase a Solasfera which is well known here as well.

Honestly, if you are buying a good clarity and color from a reputable online vendor, there is nothing to worry about. 6 years ago, I took a leap of faith and has never looked back since. I bought an Solasfera from GOG and it was appraised by RockDoc b4 it was sent to Mark Morrell for thr ering setting. I also bought many pieces from WF. Recently, I also made 3 impulse purchase from BGD.

Good luck with your purchase.

Aaron

jz77

Rough_Rock
aaronx88|1358349443|3356806 said:
Jz77,

Is the quality of the setting important and are you willing to pay higher for a high quality setting? I find workmanship in Singapore not as good compared to WF and MM. No doubt, the setting can be up to 50% higher due to wages and etc, but I believe the jewelry smith in Singapore are in volume business.

As for diamond, it makes no sense for you to buy online and send to Singapore to incur GST. I've been sending my online purchases to HK which is tax free. I think JP might be a good source of super ideal diamond in Singapore as long you get all the diamonds specs before you purchase. Or you can just purchase a Solasfera which is well known here as well.

Honestly, if you are buying a good clarity and color from a reputable online vendor, there is nothing to worry about. 6 years ago, I took a leap of faith and has never looked back since. I bought an Solasfera from GOG and it was appraised by RockDoc b4 it was sent to Mark Morrell for thr ering setting. I also bought many pieces from WF. Recently, I also made 3 impulse purchase from BGD.

Good luck with your purchase.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I'm looking at a couple of diamonds from WF. I am not sure if I will order just the loose diamond and set it in Singapore (perhaps from JP). What do you think? Coz I am scared of resizing issues. Have you used any other appraisers? Such as Ben Gordon or David Atlas?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jz, not from Singapore, but I have purchased diamonds from WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold and I have never felt any need whatsoever to have those diamonds independently appraised since they are already graded by GIA or AGS. Plus the photos and idealscope images make me feel comfortable buying without seeing the stones in advance, particularly when buying higher color and clarity, as Phoenix said.

(I saw on your other thread that you were considering having the stone set in the US as well, so that makes more sense to have it independently appraised to make sure the stone is properly set, not damaged, etc. before shipping it to you.)

jz77

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1358393115|3357496 said:
jz, not from Singapore, but I have purchased diamonds from WhiteFlash and Good Old Gold and I have never felt any need whatsoever to have those diamonds independently appraised since they are already graded by GIA or AGS. Plus the photos and idealscope images make me feel comfortable buying without seeing the stones in advance, particularly when buying higher color and clarity, as Phoenix said.

(I saw on your other thread that you were considering having the stone set in the US as well, so that makes more sense to have it independently appraised to make sure the stone is properly set, not damaged, etc. before shipping it to you.)

thanks diamondseeker2006. Yup replied you. They suggested Ben Gordon. So I am wondering if he is independent :)

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Hi,

How much are you being quoted for setting in Singapore. If you can appreciate the workmanship and you are willing to pay for it, I will honestly advice you to have it set in USA. I myself paid for Mark Morrell 6 years ago which all my friends said that I'm crazy to pay such high prices for Mark Morrell. However, I discussed with my wife saying I can actually buy you a Tiffany ring, but I think Mark Morrell workmanship is much better combined with a Solasfera diamond. She chose MM + Solasfera and till now never regretted the decision. She even keep pestering me to buy another MM setting for her now, but I'm not willing since it is not an e-ring.

As for appraisal, I would rather save the money since I think it would be useless in an Asian country. In the west, consumer are able to insure the ring against the home content insurance and thus they need to have it appraised to have a replacement value. As long as you are buying from reputable vendor such as WF, BGD or Infinity diamonds, you are getting the top products (super ideal).

Reading your other thread, does your future wife says IT MUST BE 1 CARAT? I know there is these mentality among Asian girls that an e-ring must be 1 ct and above. I'm asking because it seems that you are only concentrating on any diamonds slightly above 1ct, F, and VS2 clarity. It looks like you are trying to get the best value diamond in the colorless range D,E,F and eye clean clarity VS1, VS2. If your future wife does not impose this rule, it may be better to get 0.9-0.99ct range and save some money to have a bigger budget for the setting.

Finally, you dont have to worry about resizing issues since it is not rocket science. Just get any cheap ring sizer off ebay, and let you future wife try on. To be 100% sure, measure the inner diameter of the chosen ring sizer using a vernier caliper.

By the way, which country are you residing in since you said you are going to Singapore just to pick up the ring and are able to claim GST?

Thanks.

Aaron

jz77

Rough_Rock
aaronx88|1358429061|3357688 said:
Hi,

How much are you being quoted for setting in Singapore. If you can appreciate the workmanship and you are willing to pay for it, I will honestly advice you to have it set in USA. I myself paid for Mark Morrell 6 years ago which all my friends said that I'm crazy to pay such high prices for Mark Morrell. However, I discussed with my wife saying I can actually buy you a Tiffany ring, but I think Mark Morrell workmanship is much better combined with a Solasfera diamond. She chose MM + Solasfera and till now never regretted the decision. She even keep pestering me to buy another MM setting for her now, but I'm not willing since it is not an e-ring.

As for appraisal, I would rather save the money since I think it would be useless in an Asian country. In the west, consumer are able to insure the ring against the home content insurance and thus they need to have it appraised to have a replacement value. As long as you are buying from reputable vendor such as WF, BGD or Infinity diamonds, you are getting the top products (super ideal).

Reading your other thread, does your future wife says IT MUST BE 1 CARAT? I know there is these mentality among Asian girls that an e-ring must be 1 ct and above. I'm asking because it seems that you are only concentrating on any diamonds slightly above 1ct, F, and VS2 clarity. It looks like you are trying to get the best value diamond in the colorless range D,E,F and eye clean clarity VS1, VS2. If your future wife does not impose this rule, it may be better to get 0.9-0.99ct range and save some money to have a bigger budget for the setting.

Finally, you dont have to worry about resizing issues since it is not rocket science. Just get any cheap ring sizer off ebay, and let you future wife try on. To be 100% sure, measure the inner diameter of the chosen ring sizer using a vernier caliper.

By the way, which country are you residing in since you said you are going to Singapore just to pick up the ring and are able to claim GST?

Thanks.

Aaron

Hi Aaron, really appreciate your comments. I am from Brunei but I am going to Singapore soon. Canary is quoting me $14,700SGD for the 1.03ct. Measurements are in my other post. Basically a triple EX and HCA of 1.5. This is a quote plus settings. So I am able to get 5% GST refund back as well.

Well, she did not say she wants one carat. but I would prefer it if i could get 1Carat i guess. But yes, I guess i will look around for 0.9 to o.99ct range. I think her size is 9, which is 5 US. it is around there.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
Does Brunei impose a tax on imported jewelry? If it does not like Hong Kong, your options are wide open since you can basically order from any vendor and have the completed ring sent to Brunei fully insured.

By the way, GST refund should be 7% less some minor charges at Changi airport.

Aaron

jz77

Rough_Rock
aaronx88|1358430485|3357707 said:
Does Brunei impose a tax on imported jewelry? If it does not like Hong Kong, your options are wide open since you can basically order from any vendor and have the completed ring sent to Brunei fully insured.

Aaron

Yes there is a tax of 5%. There is not much 0.9 to 0.99 ct on the market. WF has none which suit my budget and requirements. I have been corresponding a lot of WF. So i trust them more than others i guess. I guess i can wait for WF to restock.

jz77

Rough_Rock
Aaron, why some got idealscope images and ASET but some dont. I also notice that BGD settings more expensive than whiteflash.

aaronx88

Rough_Rock
These batch of diamonds just came onto the inventory. It takes time to take those idealscope, aset and etc photos. If you really like the diamond and it looks damn good on the specs, speak to them on live chat and ask them to put it on hold and make available those pics. I'm sure they would expediate things for a potential buyer.

I really cannot comment on pricing since it is a business and everyone has got their own pricing policy. It also depends on how complicated is the setting. Take a look at Brian blog, where he did amazing pieces for his satisfied client.

http://www.blog.brianthecutter.com/

I once paid $1600 for a plain 6 prong platinum ring from Mark Morrell which now costs $2136 and the ring is so fluid. Best workmanship I've seen so far.

Aaron

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results