shape
carat
color
clarity

For proposal, what do you think of this Limoges ring box

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candide

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

Getting the final details together for the big moment. Someone posted a while back the idea of using a Limoges box as a ring box for the big day and for her to keep it in. What do people think of this one? Unlike some boxes they sell (which I think are too ornate), this one DOES NOT come with ring cushion inside. I will need to measure and make this myself. Any suggestions on material to use as cushion/ where to get it, and what to line it with (satin or silk? and what color)

I especialy like the courting scene on the top, where the man has taken a knee.

Thanks so much.
Jon

limoges1.jpg

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty, so sentimental of you...
She'll cherish the box - and what's in in too!

I would line it with satin...color? White, to show off the diamond!
Best of luck to you
wavey.gif
wavey.gif
wavey.gif

astogie

Rough_Rock
Limoges boxes are almost always to small to fit an e-ring...I would make sure the size needed before buying, or make sure they have a return policy.

In fact some ring boxes are even to small, I ordered the top box on this page and the 1ct EC solitare I was giving would not alow the box to close!?! Nice boxes but something to think about...

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Update/silver-ring-boxes.htm

Good luck, I know finding a nice box was one of the harder parts of the ring process (as shoking as that sounds!)

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Lovely box! Assuming it is deep enough to hold an upright e-ring, as Astogie pointed out, go to a fabric store (you may have better luck with one that also carries upholstery & home fabrics) and buy a small piece of foam (they sell it to make cushions, etc.) and cut it to match the dimensions of the box. Cut a slit in the middle to hold the ring. Tuck your fabric into the slit first (make sure the ring still fits or you may need to make the slit larger) and then tuck the edges of the fabric under the foam and slip it into the box. As to the choice of fabric, silk is a fiber and satin is a type of weave, so you can buy satin made out of either silk or a synthetic material -- go with what feels and looks nice to you. I disagree with using white. You ask to look at diamonds on white paper when you buy them so you can see the color accurately, but a lot of stores display diamonds on a black background until you ask for the white because the stones look whiter against dark colors. I would choose black to match the box, or a pretty medium to dark blue, so the ring really stands out against the background. Good luck!

candide

Rough_Rock
Thanks VERY much for the replies so far. The tips on how to make the cushion are fantastic. Incidentally, it does not picture well, but this box is Cobalt Blue (the color and the name of a line of Limoges).

I spoke with a retailer who had this in her hand on the phone. She said the height of the box is one and one half inch. Should that clear?

If it doesn't, no sweat. They have a line of boxes designed for holding rings. (which I don't like the look of AS MUCH, but are still better than a plain jane box.

here is a link to those other boxes I think are overall too ornate. Though some of the blue ones are ok.... of these, which do you like best?

http://www.sinclair-limoges.com/ring_boxes_01.htm

I think that for the amount of money we spend on the ring, getting a special box for another 50-100 dollars is TOTALLY worth it.

gardengirl

Rough_Rock
I think that would do just fine. You could always angle the ring in the foam a little bit to adjust for the height. Just so the stone itself is what you'd see first, you'll be all set.

Good luck!

gardengirl

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I assume 1 and 1/2" is the outside height of the box -- the inside height will be a little less, depending on the thickness of the porcelain. Two suggestions: (1) if you have the ring already, measure its height (if not, as an example, I have a size 4.5 ring with a high cathedral mounting -- total height is 1": 3/4" for diameter of ring + 1/4" for prongs & diamond); (2) ask the retailer if her e-ring fits in the box, either straight up or angled. Angling the slot you cut for the ring in the foam will probably reduce the height enough for the box to close w/o the lid touching the diamond (assuming you have a round stone and not a marquise or other long shape where the points will stick up if it is angled).

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Georgeous but tastful box. If you use a deep blue piece of suede or leather, you could fold and roll it to fill the box and nestle the band into a fold. This would be less rigid than foam and might allow for more "play" when opening and closing the lid than foam would, as well. Most large fabric stores and many craft stores carry leather.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent suggestion from Mikesgirl. I love the box - pretty and tasteful.
1.gif

indigo

Rough_Rock
They don't show very tall rings in those boxes, and they are really fancy. Unless she's a very glam girl, I'd stick with the one you've chosen. It's very nice without being over the top. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results