shape
carat
color
clarity

For Preloved, at what purchase price would you want a written appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I'm taking over 50 items to get verbal appraisals from an appraiser listed in the resources section of PS. I was planning on getting a written appraisal on anything valued at $1,000 or more. I'm planning on selling items I no longer wear at 70% of appraised value. Do you think $1,000 is a good threshold amount for getting the written appraisals? If not, what is? Each written appraisal is $50. Thanks!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don’t know what you have, you should
—but an appraisal does not necessarily mean much to certain buyers—so it depends where you are selling.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto @nala.

For me a third-party appraisal of a branded piece would mean nothing whatsoever. For an unbranded piece, whether or not I value the appraisal depends entirely on who did the appraising - and I can honestly only name four people whose opinion I’d put any stock in.

If you have all the information you need to list your pieces (stone details, ring sizes, metal, calipers for various stone/mount measurements, some history on the pieces, etc...) I’m not sure paying a blanket $50 fee per piece achieves anything. You can always get this appraisal later if a potential buyer requests it.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
If you don’t know what you have, you should
—but an appraisal does not necessarily mean much to certain buyers—so it depends where you are selling.

Yes, I know I should know what I have, but I don't. I'd just like to advertise the item(s) for what they are. Most were purchased at various jewelry marts 15-30 years ago. Many items from Fullerton, where I believe you frequent. I was planning on selling on preloved/Loupe Troup.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto @nala.

For me a third-party appraisal of a branded piece would mean nothing whatsoever. For an unbranded piece, whether or not I value the appraisal depends entirely on who did the appraising - and I can honestly only name four people whose opinion I’d put any stock in.

If you have all the information you need to list your pieces (stone details, ring sizes, metal, calipers for various stone/mount measurements, some history on the pieces, etc...) I’m not sure paying a blanket $50 fee per piece achieves anything. You can always get this appraisal later if a potential buyer requests it.

Nothing is branded. I was planning on Patrick Davis since he is local to me. Sadly, I have no details; no mandrel, no calipers, etc. I'm tearing up laughing at myself because I was trying to weigh gold items on my postage scale. The items will continue to sit unless I get pay someone to help with some of the details. Maybe I'll just get verbal appraisals then. Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, okay. Yeah, you’ll have to find out what you’ve got - and I think the pricepoint for that will need to be lower. I can’t see a PS audience spending $500 on a piece without knowing what material the centerstone is for example. But I sincerely hope your cost for those verbal assessments is far less than $50 per piece!!

FWIW - You’ve chosen a well-regarded appraiser ::)

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, okay. Yeah, you’ll have to find out what you’ve got - and I think the pricepoint for that will need to be lower. I can’t see a PS audience spending $500 on a piece without knowing what material the centerstone is for example. But I sincerely hope your cost for those verbal assessments is far less than $50 per piece!!

FWIW - You’ve chosen a well-regarded appraiser ::)
$150 per hour for verbal identification and evaluation as posted on his website and per our verbal conversation. He was very nice on the phone.

Yay! I feel a little better for at least selecting a well-regarded appraiser. Thank you!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I know I should know what I have, but I don't. I'd just like to advertise the item(s) for what they are. Most were purchased at various jewelry marts 15-30 years ago. Many items from Fullerton, where I believe you frequent. I was planning on selling on preloved/Loupe Troup.

Hi! Yes! Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods!
I don’t know how much time you dispose of but you can order caliper, scale, loupe, mandrel from Amazon. You can weed out the pieces that would need appraisals and maybe get a bundle deal for the high-ends. I don’t know if you are familiar with the rambling rose in the orange circle. I take my stuff to Katie there and she gives me verbal appraisals for free and many times she makes me offers on the spot which are very fair—considering I don’t have to list and deal with fees and strangers. She specializes in antique jewelry tho. What kind of pieces do you have?

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi! Yes! Sounds like you are in my neck of the woods!
I don’t know how much time you dispose of but you can order caliper, scale, loupe, mandrel from Amazon. You can weed out the pieces that would need appraisals and maybe get a bundle deal for the high-ends. I don’t know if you are familiar with the rambling rose in the orange circle. I take my stuff to Katie there and she gives me verbal appraisals for free and many times she makes me offers on the spot which are very fair—considering I don’t have to list and deal with fees and strangers. She specializes in antique jewelry tho. What kind of pieces do you have?

Yes, I am in Orange County. We also met at the GTG in Carlsbad.
Nothing really high end and nothing antique. Most times I purchased multiple items or sets and my receipts are not itemized so I'm not even sure what I paid for most individual items, but if I add up my receipts they total almost 25K. Although, I have given some items away and have traded some in at one of those gold parties several years ago. I'll contact Katie to see if she's interested in anything. I could order tools and make time, but I'd still not know diamond or gemstone details. Thank you!

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm taking over 50 items to get verbal appraisals from an appraiser listed in the resources section of PS. I was planning on getting a written appraisal on anything valued at $1,000 or more. I'm planning on selling items I no longer wear at 70% of appraised value. Do you think $1,000 is a good threshold amount for getting the written appraisals? If not, what is? Each written appraisal is $50. Thanks!

As you know, appraisals are all over the map in terms of dollar-value and sophistication. Unless you are bringing independent reports, you will not get much except color-guesses and carat-wt estimates on diamonds and metal composition and weight.

I have never been moved by a local appraisal in any eBay listing -- stuff either has a report or it doesn't.

"Replacement value" on a new item is 2 - 3X retail, imo. "Comparables" for an estate or vintage item is much closer to truth, imo. Insurance value is scammy -- you are impressed with how much your jewels are "worth" and then celebrate by way overpaying for your insurance coverage.

I think this is helpful for you but of very little value for the buyer.

I did this years ago for a dear parent's dozen or so things after she passed -- just so we kids could be on equal footing because my four sibs know nothing about this stuff. So we at least all knew what was "valuable" before choosing. But I would not use those values if we were selling.

I think $1,000 is a good break-point for getting an independent opinion.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you do need to know what you are selling so you can describe it to potential buyers. Things like gold content ie 14kt, weight in grams, the name of the gemstone and either it’s dimensions in mm or an approx carat weight. With rings it’s important to know the ring size as well.
Appraisals are usually for insurance or probate purposes.
Have a look on eBay, sold items, once you have item details and see what prices people are actually paying. Gold is quite high now so selling now makes sense.
places like eBay charge about 15% in fees with PayPal payment and while you can get a much wider audience I wouldn’t advise using eBay if you aren’t an experienced seller on the platform.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
As you know, appraisals are all over the map in terms of dollar-value and sophistication. Unless you are bringing independent reports, you will not get much except color-guesses and carat-wt estimates on diamonds and metal composition and weight.

I have never been moved by a local appraisal in any eBay listing -- stuff either has a report or it doesn't.

"Replacement value" on a new item is 2 - 3X retail, imo. "Comparables" for an estate or vintage item is much closer to truth, imo. Insurance value is scammy -- you are impressed with how much your jewels are "worth" and then celebrate by way overpaying for your insurance coverage.

I think this is helpful for you but of very little value for the buyer.

I did this years ago for a dear parent's dozen or so things after she passed -- just so we kids could be on equal footing because my four sibs know nothing about this stuff. So we at least all knew what was "valuable" before choosing. But I would not use those values if we were selling.

I think $1,000 is a good break-point for getting an independent opinion.

Yes, I know appraisals vary. I have a few given to me at the time of purchase that are very over-inflated which is why I won't use them. I am not looking at getting replacement value appraisals. From our conversation, it's fair market value that he will provide. Additionally, I will get gold content verification, weight, gemstone validation, condition of item, etc. Thank you for you input. All this is very helpful.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
you do need to know what you are selling so you can describe it to potential buyers. Things like gold content ie 14kt, weight in grams, the name of the gemstone and either it’s dimensions in mm or an approx carat weight. With rings it’s important to know the ring size as well.
Appraisals are usually for insurance or probate purposes.
Have a look on eBay, sold items, once you have item details and see what prices people are actually paying. Gold is quite high now so selling now makes sense.
places like eBay charge about 15% in fees with PayPal payment and while you can get a much wider audience I wouldn’t advise using eBay if you aren’t an experienced seller on the platform.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm going for. I'd hate to use the receipts I can barely read or my failing memory for the descriptions. I did not pay much attention to specific details when purchasing. I purchased what I liked and would enjoy at the price given to me. These items just need to move along and be loved by someone else instead of collecting dust. My kids want a few items which I won't have appraised.
Yes, he does probate appraisals as well.
I'm actually quite good with selling on Ebay but with an item (camera, handbag, stemware) that is specific and yes, I use recently sold for my pricing. I tried to estimate a gold bracelet (the XO puffy ones) by using Ebay but the prices on those varied so much even for similar weight. Thank you for your help.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you’re wise to get verbal on things below $1000 in value. Most appraisals I have seen were for replacement value and grossly overpriced. In the case of second hand items, anything that is out of style is going to sell for less than a classic piece. I sold a bunch of old yellow gold things just for gold content, because I couldn’t see them selling for much more. Now is a good time to sell gold for the gold content. Much less trouble, too.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I think you’re wise to get verbal on things below $1000 in value. Most appraisals I have seen were for replacement value and grossly overpriced. In the case of second hand items, anything that is out of style is going to sell for less than a classic piece. I sold a bunch of old yellow gold things just for gold content, because I couldn’t see them selling for much more. Now is a good time to sell gold for the gold content. Much less trouble, too.

Several items are outdated and I'd sell for most likely the gold value. Most I feel are still very wearable but I'm just not wearing them. Plus many are yellow gold and it's no longer my preferred color. I'd like to scale down to about 3 right hand rings, 3 bracelets and maybe 3-4 pairs of earrings.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
My threshold would have been $5,000 > I don't even insure my 7 carat tennis bracelet. MY ER is so expensive to ensure and my studs and wedding band that I don't appraise or insure thing that I paid less than $5,000 Just MHO

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
I think $1000 is a good threshold. I just bought a 7 stone ring for slightly more from a PS’er and she had the EBay listing from when she purchased it. I wanted some kind of documentation of the stones as I would not be able to judge them myself. And for the outdated items, you may want to consider if the stones are worth repurposing and price accordingly ( more than gold value but less than a timeless style ). I bought a very 80’s gold and diamond ring and put the stones in a cluster necklace.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
I think $1000 is a good threshold. I just bought a 7 stone ring for slightly more from a PS’er and she had the EBay listing from when she purchased it. I wanted some kind of documentation of the stones as I would not be able to judge them myself. And for the outdated items, you may want to consider if the stones are worth repurposing and price accordingly ( more than gold value but less than a timeless style ). I bought a very 80’s gold and diamond ring and put the stones in a cluster necklace.

Thank you for your input. I think validation of the items of higher value is important. $1,000 is not a small purchase for a preloved, unbranded item. Maybe I overpaid and items will be of lower value than I thought. I'd just feel awful if I misrepresented something. I'm also not looking to recoup what I spent. I have my appointment with the appraiser in 2 weeks. I figure if the stones are of no value, that I would sell for gold value and the purchaser can wear or repurpose. I've found that repurposing is not for me. I had something repurposed about 2 years ago and spent $1300 on something I won't wear. I've also had yellow gold dipped and was not a fan of the outcome. Sometimes items just look better in yellow gold. I've worn white gold exclusively for over 10 years therefore, I'll be selling many yellow gold items.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In your case, the dollar value conclusion of the appraisal isn't usually the most important part. It's the descriptions, the photographs, and the signature. Maybe the date.

You mentioned your intention was to sell for 70% of the appraised value. This may prove to be difficult. To whom are you planning to sell? May I ask how you decided on this formula? Consult with your appraiser about selling prices. With most appraisals, that's a very different question and a straight formula from retail replacement estimates isn't likely to work very well. In most cases, 70% is decidedly high, by the way. Many items are only worth the salvage value of the materials when resold. Others are valuable collectors items and belong in a completely different marketplace. This is part of the expertise you are asking of your appraiser.

Last edited:

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
In your case, the dollar value conclusion of the appraisal isn't usually the most important part. It's the descriptions, the photographs, and the signature. Maybe the date.

You mentioned your intention was to sell for 70% of the appraised value. This may prove to be difficult. To whom are you planning to sell? May I ask how you decided on this formula? Consult with your appraiser about selling prices. With most appraisals, that's a very different question and a straight formula from retail replacement estimates isn't likely to work very well. In most cases, 70% is decidedly high, by the way. Many items are only worth the salvage value of the materials when resold. Others are valuable collectors items and belong in a completely different marketplace. This is part of the expertise you are asking of your appraiser.

I've let the appraiser know that I will be selling most of the items and he will provide fair market value of the items. I got the 70% from viewing recommendation here on PS. I figure if I get the stats of the item and fair market value, I'll check sales platforms for comparable to make sure the value is in line with similar preloved items. For instance; if appraiser gives my 4.85tcw tennis bracelet a fair market value of $2000 and I find on Ebay and Loupe Troup that recently sold items are comparable in price, then I'd put it up for sale for $1,400. I'm planning on posting in preloved here on PS and putting my contact info on Loupe Troup (which hopefully is restored soon). With all gold items (no gemstones or diamonds), I will most likely list at scrap gold price. I'm thinking my items are still wearable. If they don't sell, I'll lower the price. Thank you for your help. If my thinking is irrational, I'm happy to receive additional advice. Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.01.24 AM.png

Last edited:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, it’s not irrational, just make sure your appraiser understands the story and that what you’re asking you to do is to help you set prices. Beware of the term ‘fair market value’. That’s an IRS term, and 'fair' is not what they’re all about. There is more than one definition of FMV and make sure the question he/she is answering is the one you’re asking.

If it’s worth scrap, personally I would just scrap it. Your appraiser should be able to advise on this. Retailing things one at a time to strangers can be a serious pain and you end up eating up your time with questions, shipping, returns, credit card issues, etc. The reason to put up with it is that it produces more money. If it doesn't, just take the money and run. YMMV.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Several items are outdated and I'd sell for most likely the gold value. Most I feel are still very wearable but I'm just not wearing them. Plus many are yellow gold and it's no longer my preferred color. I'd like to scale down to about 3 right hand rings, 3 bracelets and maybe 3-4 pairs of earrings.

Been there. Still have a few sentimental things left in yg, but I never wear them. I guess the daughters or granddaughters can decide to keep or sell! They've already expressed interest in my other (few) right hand rings, so those I will give to them over time since I almost never wear a right hand ring, especially if I wear a bracelet on that wrist. I very much like the idea of a great (relative to my lifestyle), but small collection. I seriously wear only a few of my things regularly. Getting my diamond pieces where I want them to be is my current project. In fact, I looked back at your studs thread because I am debating about keeping my 1.3 ct (each) pair or moving up closer to 1.6. Your threads were helpful! Then a diamond bracelet is the other thing I need to figure out. I am collecting a few VCA pieces for variety, and I want a couple more long necklaces to wear with my diamonds by the yard long necklace. But I do feel I am pretty clear on not collecting a bunch of stuff I'll never wear!

Good luck with your project! I know it will feel great to get it done!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Been there. Still have a few sentimental things left in yg, but I never wear them. I guess the daughters or granddaughters can decide to keep or sell! They've already expressed interest in my other (few) right hand rings, so those I will give to them over time since I almost never wear a right hand ring, especially if I wear a bracelet on that wrist. I very much like the idea of a great (relative to my lifestyle), but small collection. I seriously wear only a few of my things regularly. Getting my diamond pieces where I want them to be is my current project. In fact, I looked back at your studs thread because I am debating about keeping my 1.3 ct (each) pair or moving up closer to 1.6. Your threads were helpful! Then a diamond bracelet is the other thing I need to figure out. I am collecting a few VCA pieces for variety, and I want a couple more long necklaces to wear with my diamonds by the yard long necklace. But I do feel I am pretty clear on not collecting a bunch of stuff I'll never wear!

Good luck with your project! I know it will feel great to get it done!

I used to wear a right hand ring and right wrist bracelet daily and a watch on my left wrist. After getting WF bracelet, it's the only bracelet I wear and I moved it to my left wrist since I had stopped wearing a watch. I'm not sure why I originally stopped wearing right hand rings, but now it's because most are a little snug.

1.3 ct each is a very wearable size. When I originally got the 1.7 each, they felt just a tad big. Although, I do often look at bigger then realize I'm happy with the size I have. I'm sure you'll make the right decision to upgrade when the time is right or keep what you have.

Yes, I will be quite happy when I pass along the items I no longer wear and finish the sapphire ring project. I may even wonder into the VCA store in the near future.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
I've let the appraiser know that I will be selling most of the items and he will provide fair market value of the items. I got the 70% from viewing recommendation here on PS. I figure if I get the stats of the item and fair market value, I'll check sales platforms for comparable to make sure the value is in line with similar preloved items. For instance; if appraiser gives my 4.85tcw tennis bracelet a fair market value of $2000 and I find on Ebay and Loupe Troup that recently sold items are comparable in price, then I'd put it up for sale for $1,400. I'm planning on posting in preloved here on PS and putting my contact info on Loupe Troup (which hopefully is restored soon). With all gold items (no gemstones or diamonds), I will most likely list at scrap gold price. I'm thinking my items are still wearable. If they don't sell, I'll lower the price. Thank you for your help. If my thinking is irrational, I'm happy to receive additional advice. Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.01.24 AM.png

Hi Donna, we met at the Carlsbad GTG. The bracelet you posted is a smaller twin of one I already have, and I adore it. Please reach out to me when you're ready to sell it as I'd love to have another in the same style. My info is easily available in the Preloved forum or at my handle at yahoo. BTW, I copied your adorable Frye Shooties and now have them in both red and black. :D

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Before you make the decision to scrap, do post a picture of all the pieces here? There are YG lovers here too, and I am one!

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Donna, we met at the Carlsbad GTG. The bracelet you posted is a smaller twin of one I already have, and I adore it. Please reach out to me when you're ready to sell it as I'd love to have another in the same style. My info is easily available in the Preloved forum or at my handle at yahoo. BTW, I copied your adorable Frye Shooties and now have them in both red and black. :D

I remember you from the GTG. You got the higher end shooties. Mine are Blondo but I love them. I’ll have to check out the red, they sound fabulous.

donnabrsd

Brilliant_Rock
Before you make the decision to scrap, do post a picture of all the pieces here? There are YG lovers here too, and I am one!

I’ll post on preloved after my appointment with the appraiser. I’ve scrapped enough and I think what I have remaining are still wearable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results