shape
carat
color
clarity

For Cushion Hunters

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
Okay, so I have been searching for an awesome cushion for some time now and thanks to our fine PS resident cushion experts I think I have developed discriminating taste (maybe too much so....) when it comes to these particular stones. I recently called in a few potential candidates from Jon at GOG and all I can say is that he deserves his reputation as a man who can pick winners.

One of the stones that initially caught my eye was a 1.21 F cushion. It is stone #2 in the following video:

http://www.vimeo.com/3299563

This stone lit up from the moment it came out of the envelope. Although it is not to be considered an elusive "chunky antinquey style" cushion, it did look fantastic and have a chunkier than average appearance. I had an opportunity to check it out in a variety of lighting conditions, including outside, and it looked awesome. Very bright and very nice optics. Threw lots of nice chunky flashes of light. The video Rhino shot tells the story very well - very very pretty stone. I probably would have bought it on the spot had I not called in other candidates to complicate my life....

The second GOG stone I called in was this 1.61 I cushion:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5416/

This cushion had been on my mind for weeks because of its amazing old antique style chunky look. I tormented myself with the "why does it have to be an ''I'' color" question because I really wanted a G or better. But I broke down and called it in because it just looked too sweet to not give it a chance.

As far as the ''I'' color, my appraiser''s colorimeter pegged it as an H. It looked like an H to me (having viewed many stones in the G/H/I range to determine my sensitivity). I viewed it in a variety of lighting conditions and it never looked yellowish, as many other ''I''''s have to me. I''m very color sensitive. It looked really good - ever so slightly warm when compared to the F - probably perfect for an antique setting.

This is one beautiful chunky cushion. The facet pattern is so pretty and it is certainly one of the most balanced cushions in terms of light performance that I have seen. I sat with this one for about 30 minutes and just played with it. It was great but it was also torture - could I get over my color issue? Was this going to be a mind-clean stone for me? Aaaaahhhh!! Torture!!

Complicating the decision was that I had also called in a 3rd cushion from Jon that was also awesome. And it is the 3rd one that I ended up buying. More on that one later, with pics of course. For now, I just wanted to pass along some thoughts on the other 2 GOG stones that I had time to play with in the event that it may help any fellow cushion hunters out there. Sometimes it can help to get some insight from someone who has actually seen the stones in person. I''ve been helped by so many here with their great posts that I wanted to pass a little something along myself.

Good luck Cushion Hunters!

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting your experience how lucky you got to go play in person :).

I agree Jon and the team at GOG are just awesome, I loved working with them as well.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/6/2009 11:47:11 PM
Author: Deelight
Thanks for posting your experience how lucky you got to go play in person :).

I agree Jon and the team at GOG are just awesome, I loved working with them as well.
Ditto!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2009 8:46:11 PM
Author:DaCounselor

The second GOG stone I called in was this 1.61 I cushion:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5416/
I LOVE this stone!
30.gif
And that video is such a testament to what a well cut cushion looks like compared to the average cut. I can''t wait to see what you ended up with.
9.gif

And thank you for taking the time to explain these and post the videos. It may very well help someone in the future!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Those are both beautiful...the 2nd one especially! Isn''t it fun viewing at GOG?!?! Jon is so great!! He really makes diamond buying fun (like it wouldn''t be!!).
2.gif

Okay...so I keep checking to see when we are going to get to see this beauty that you ended up choosing. What gives??? Don''t keep us waiting!!
31.gif

melz

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I came home today from my trip to Boston''s jewelry district to look at Asschers and Rounds having seen a cushion I liked. When I saw your comments I went straight to GOG, saw it in the video, and put it on hold. Hopefully seeing it at the appraiser later this week. I hope it works out, it''s certainly much less than the rounds I''ve been looking at so you''ve been so helpful not just to me but to my boyfriend! ; )

I also spoke to someone at GOG and he told me that they are expecting another batch of chunky cushions, although he didn''t know when.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 4:53:22 PM
Author: melanie987123
Thank you so much! I came home today from my trip to Boston''s jewelry district to look at Asschers and Rounds having seen a cushion I liked. When I saw your comments I went straight to GOG, saw it in the video, and put it on hold. Hopefully seeing it at the appraiser later this week. I hope it works out, it''s certainly much less than the rounds I''ve been looking at so you''ve been so helpful not just to me but to my boyfriend! ; )

I also spoke to someone at GOG and he told me that they are expecting another batch of chunky cushions, although he didn''t know when.
Well woohoo, lucky you!!

melz

Shiny_Rock
Yay! So excited. Also a really good feeling to not be pushing the budget ...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since the linked video was made especially for DaCounselor I''ll let him reveal what''s what. Really ... it''s been a pleasure to serve and I''m glad you''ve gotten to see what kind of cushions I am proud to put my signature on Da. As you have seen, the comparison between the 1.24ct and the 1.61ct was not one of the ugly vs the pretty. Melanie, I''m pretty excited for you to see this one live too and am proud to represent such a diamond. Have you seen the video I shot featuring this diamond "Understanding Cushion Modified Diamonds"?

Kind regards,

melz

Shiny_Rock
No found "understanding the appearance of cushion cuts...." happy for any other reference ...

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/7/2009 10:45:31 PM
Author: Rhino
Melanie, I'm pretty excited for you to see this one live too and am proud to represent such a diamond. Have you seen the video I shot featuring this diamond 'Understanding Cushion Modified Diamonds'?

Kind regards,

Date: 3/8/2009 1:17:33 AM
Author: melanie987123
No found 'understanding the appearance of cushion cuts....' happy for any other reference ...
http://www.vimeo.com/3164922

melz

Shiny_Rock
Thank you very much. I meant to say "Only found ..."

DaCounselor

Rough_Rock
There is nothing like seeing a stone in person, but Rhino''s videos are about as close as you can get to the real thing. All 3 GOG stones I called in actually exceeded my expectations based on their videos. It was so refreshing to have a number of awesome cushions to compare. I have found it nearly impossible to find good candidates at my local B&Ms and I live in a pretty big city. There just do not seem to be alot of cushions out there. The Rhino videos were huge for me. I mean HUGE! So props again to Jon for the great service and allowing me to make a much more informed decision. Cushion Hunters know what I am talking about. And when you find the right one you end up with something special that sets you apart from the Round Crowd (no offense RB lovers...:)

Melanie - if you are into the chunkier antique style cushions than the 1.61 is an amazing one. And if you are not into that look yet, you probably will be after you see that baby in person..:) Having been on the hunt for many many months, I would have to agree with Jon that it is pretty much a needle in a haystack.

As for my pick, I have only spent about 30 or 40 hours staring at it the past few days. I''m experimenting with some different pic angles and I will post back with the stone details and some pics which I know everyone here loves. I will also link in Jon''s video of the stone. And Melanie, I want to hear back from you re the 1.61 - we need someone here at PS to snatch that one so we can get lots of pics and it can live on, preserved by a PS thread.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 10:40:36 PM
Author: DaCounselor

As for my pick, I have only spent about 30 or 40 hours staring at it the past few days. I''m experimenting with some different pic angles and I will post back with the stone details and some pics which I know everyone here loves. I will also link in Jon''s video of the stone. And Melanie, I want to hear back from you re the 1.61 - we need someone here at PS to snatch that one so we can get lots of pics and it can live on, preserved by a PS thread.
tapping.gif

9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results