shape
carat
color
clarity

For all intents and purposes a newbie...

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Excuse the ignorant question, but are all lab-grown diamonds excellently cut and flawless? Do they vary in terms of colour?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh? Totally different things you are talking about. Cut has nothing to do with how the stone comes about, nothing to do with clarity and clarity and cut has nothing to do with color.

To see the range of cut, clarity and color, just go to one of the vendor's site, you will see a range of cut, color and clarity available.

Is this account hacked or what?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1309227730|2956719 said:
Huh? Totally different things you are talking about. Cut has nothing to do with how the stone comes about, nothing to do with clarity and clarity and cut has nothing to do with color.

To see the range of cut, clarity and color, just go to one of the vendor's site, you will see a range of cut, color and clarity available.

Is this account hacked or what?

No, stonecold, my account isn't hacked. I'm sorry it came off like that.

I didn't mean to imply that cut, clarity, and colour, are interdependent. I just don't know anything about lab-grown diamonds, and while searching for loose stones on a website that sells them I saw that they gave no info on these parameters. So I just wondered whether that implies that lab-grown diamonds are excellently cut with no inclusions and that's why there's no need for specs to be mentioned.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just that the stones are not sent to a lab. You sure that web sells man made diamonds and not just simulant?

Just look at this site.
http://d.neadiamonds.com/

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
It's supposed to sell synthetic diamonds but maybe I was just looking at stimulants.

Thanks for the link. I see info on colour and clarity, but not on cut.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, no one else grades fancy cut performance except AGS and even that lab has only a few shapes graded so for most of the stones, cut grade is useless. Only rounds have the angles from which we can roughly guess the performance on the HCA but that is for optimal light performance of colorless stone and not for best color, which is what color diamonds are cut for.

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
mayerling said:
I see info on colour and clarity, but not on cut.
Currently, none of the major labs that grade synthetic diamonds provided a "cut word" on the report, but do provide varying amounts of cut measurements. GIA lists depth and table. IGI also includes crown and pavilion percents. EGL includes those plus crown and pavilion angles. (Some reports vary though and don't always have all those listed.) Using those along with polish, symmetry, girdle thickness, etc., you can evaluate the cut (or plug it into the HCA), but it isn't as simple as reading 'Very Good' or 'Excellent' straight off the report.

Stone-cold11 said:
Well, no one else grades fancy cut performance except AGS and even that lab has only a few shapes graded so for most of the stones, cut grade is useless. Only rounds have the angles from which we can roughly guess the performance on the HCA but that is for optimal light performance of colorless stone and not for best color, which is what color diamonds are cut for.
Plus, last time I checked, AGS doesn't grade synthetic diamonds. You are right on about the HCA and other cut tools measuring the white light performance. While still relevant, the cut isn't as important as color for fancy colored diamonds (mined or synthetic).

For the original questions, synthetic diamonds come in many different colors and clarities. Man-made white diamonds are very difficult to grow and average VS-SI clarity and anywhere from D to J or so in color. Most websites claiming "D IF man-made white diamonds" are really just selling overpriced CZs or Moissanite, so be careful. It is always a good idea to make sure your diamond has a grading report from a major lab. Those labs listed above won't provide reports for simulants/CZs and will disclose origin as well as the relevant cut, clarity and other details.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
EEFranklin|1309468220|2959388 said:
Plus, last time I checked, AGS doesn't grade synthetic diamonds. You are right on about the HCA and other cut tools measuring the white light performance. While still relevant, the cut isn't as important as color for fancy colored diamonds (mined or synthetic).

Did they provided a reason for why they do not grade synthetic?

EEFranklin

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stone-cold11|1309533070|2959894 said:
It is more that AGS hasn't actively made the decision to grade synthetic diamonds, rather than actively deciding not to grade synthetics. EGL and IGI made the decision many years ago (pre-2004) and GIA started grading them in 2007. AGS may come around once synthetic white diamonds are more readily available.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stone-cold11|1309533070|2959894 said:
If you're not a behemoth like GIA, you have to pick and choose what services you want to offer. Most synthetics are fancy colors for example, an area they don't grade for either natural or synthetics. It's not that they couldn't ramp up to do this but they just don't have the staff and the budget to take on another product category at this time.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results