shape
carat
color
clarity

Flush or non-flush?

How important is having an engagement ring that allows a flush wedding band?

• I feel strongly that it should be flush.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Non-flush or flush can be equally attractive.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I feel strongly that it shouldn't be flush.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • It's all about personal taste and other opinions don't matter.

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
I'm considering an engagement ring (CvB Chloe) that appears not to allow a wedding band to be flush against the ring (not interested in a curved band).

I am clueless how important an issue this is and was hoping to get a feeling if passionate opinions or traditions about this exist or if it's really not so important. Or perhaps it's more personal taste than tradition.

Please guide me on this issue and vote in my poll if you're so inclined.

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a split shank so unless I got a custom band, my WB would not sit flush. I wear a half eternity with a thin spacer in between as I have diamonds in the undergallery. I think it amounts to personal taste. You could also buy a cheap CZ ring just to see how it might look and if you like it or not (if you are not buying the ring at the same time).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I think it's both personal taste but also practicality to be considered. I said both can be attractive. But you have to consider how often you'll want to wear your ring(s) and if you'll be okay wearing a spacer or being limited to bands that don't have diamonds on them that might scratch your ring--this can be an issue with flush fit and non-flush rings.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ONe important aspect we've noticed over the years: If one wears a pave band next to an engagment ring, the two will rub together. Over time this makes stone loss far more probable.
If the two rings are fixed ( welded, or soldered) together, it alleviates that concern- but them you can't wear them separately...

As an engagement ring designer- if I had my druthers, people would wear wedding bands on the other hand:)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a flush fit or a relatively flush fit, but I've seen lots of beautiful non-flush fit combinations here too. So - strictly a matter of personal taste!

ONe important aspect we've noticed over the years: If one wears a pave band next to an engagment ring, the two will rub together. Over time this makes stone loss far more probable.
If the two rings are fixed ( welded, or soldered) together, it alleviates that concern- but them you can't wear them separately...

As an engagement ring designer- if I had my druthers, people would wear wedding bands on the other hand:)

LOL!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely a flush person - and am fussy about not detracting from the diamond. I just like flush because it reduces competition from the band and is more physically comfortable

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who's been married all my adult life and never worn a wedding ring, if I did, I think I'd prefer it to be flush just because it would look tidier.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I'm more of a do what suits your taste and the ring person. For my own personal taste, I am not a fan of curved bands, so If the ring is built for a straight band to sit next to it, well, that's handy but if a straight band won't flush fit then It's time to rock the gap.

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Bonfire: Your Chloe looks great! And I like the band combo -- which style is it? Thanks for sharing.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both looks - that's a big help, isn't it lol? My own set has a gap and I like it. I guess flush fit might be a slightly more traditional look, but I don't think it matters these days. People are doing all kinds of different things with regard to wedding rings and sets. I think it comes down to personal taste and what you want to wear on a regular basis.

phancynan

Rough_Rock
I like both looks. I also think it depends on your fingers. Mine have always been wide at the base than knuckle (regardless of whether I was skinny or chubby) and I've never been able to have a ring loose on my finger between base and knuckle. I think the people who have the ability to have rings float or slide a little between base and knuckle look particularly nice when they have non-flush rings, because the rings can be together or apart and I think it gives it quite a nice life and movement to the rings. I have a few engagement rings, and one is an art deco target ring, and if I try and wear it with a non-flush ring, they inevitably end up jammed right by each other and look horrid and are uncomfortable. (And I've tried gold plain, pave, eternity, channel set, platinum engraved, you name it) Plus, on my hand I think having the non-flush band competes with the engagement ring and detracts from it. (I love the look on other people though, I just can't carry it off.)
TL;DR It can be fabulous or not, all depending on you, your fingers, and your rings. Try some things on!

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Phancynan, just to clarify, I'm a (clueless) guy in the market for an engagement ring for my girl. I've pretty much decided on the Chloe with an OEC but was gut-checking to make sure a gap with a band wouldn't be a cause for concern. The poll and everyone's comments has eliminated any concerns I had -- very helpful. Especially seeing Bonfire's Chloe!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks dropsonde :wavey: I thought a picture of the actual setting would help you visualize better. For me, having a bit of breathing room between the two rings lets each one be appreciated independently and lets the center stone be noticed more. It is all personal preference though, flush fit is lovely also.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer my rings not to look glued together, so I personally prefer a little gap. But in the case of antique style rings, I think a gap is more inevitable. I hate curved wedding bands, so I would definitely have a gap with the e-ring and band. In fact, my antique asscher ring definitely has a gap. I think it looks just like it should! Bonfire's looks great, too!

dropsonde

Rough_Rock
Thanks dropsonde :wavey: I thought a picture of the actual setting would help you visualize better

It was very helpful, thank you. Is your engraved band from CvB as well?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case Bonfire doesn't see your question, I believe the engraved band is antique. Caysie does make engraved bands, however. You can show her examples of antique ones you like. I think she has one on her etsy page.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Right you are DS. I was lucky enough to find this band in a wonderful antique jewelry store.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It comes down to what you find most aesthetically pleasing so not really a matter of right or wrong though I get that if you wear bands touching they can cause damage to each other so that of course is something to consider.

However barring that issue for a moment what do you find most pleasing to your eye? Personally I prefer a space. It makes each ring pop a bit more IMO and is sexy. I like seeing that it is 2 distinct rings and not one blobby band if that makes sense. I love the separate but together look and that space is quite pleasing to my eyes.

The main question is which look makes your heart go pitter patter?

phancynan

Rough_Rock
Phancynan, just to clarify, I'm a (clueless) guy in the market for an engagement ring for my girl. I've pretty much decided on the Chloe with an OEC but was gut-checking to make sure a gap with a band wouldn't be a cause for concern. The poll and everyone's comments has eliminated any concerns I had -- very helpful. Especially seeing Bonfire's Chloe!
Ah, I missed that you were purchasing this for your lady! At any rate, my thoughts still stand, and the Chloe with an OEC is absolutely fabulous. Good luck and please let us know what you pick! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results