shape
carat
color
clarity

FLuoroescence in yellow diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I hope I''m in the right place. :)

I just received a pair of rosette style stud earrings, containing 7 small yellow diamonds each (6 around a center stone). They''re set in 14Kt YG, total 1.5 ctw., SI1-2, and very sparkly. I know that they''re not unusual, but I love the sparkles, and these are much cheaper than whites in a similar grade.
21.gif

Of the 14 diamonds 12 have very strong yellow-green fluorescence under UV light. The other 2 fluoresce, but not like a lit-up bulb as the others do!

From what I could find under the topic of Fluoro., this is a good thing for yellow diamonds? Is that correct?
Why would it be of value for yellow diamonds to fluoro?

Why should 2 have less of a reaction, though they look pretty much the same under regular light?

Thanks
Ger

PS: The photo does not do them justice...I don''t know how to capture the sparkles with a camera!
20.gif

Earrings yellow dia 1.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Could your yellow diamonds be irradiatated, or did the vendor say that they were entirely natural and not irradiated?

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Does fluorescence mean they were irradiated? EEEK!
They were stated to be Fancy Vivid Yellow

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2009 8:49:02 PM
Author: ger100
Does fluorescence mean they were irradiated? EEEK!
They were stated to be Fancy Vivid Yellow
They are Fancy Vivid Yellow now, but I''m still wondering if they might not be irradiated. Here is a Link that contains a picture of the irradiated yellow side stone diamonds in my ring, first in indoor lighting, and the other in sunlight. Those babies really glow an intense green, no UV light needed. I always figured the green fluorescence was present in the original diamonds which were probably some sort of yucky brown before the treatment.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, just because a diamond fluoresces doesn't mean it's irradiated. Both irradiated and non-irradiated diamonds can fluoresce. However, I know some HPHT diamonds (high pressure high temperature) color treated diamonds can fluoresce orange. Stepcutnut has a drop dead gorgeous yellow diamond that fluoresces green. It looks radioactive, it's so amazing in color, and yet it's a natural colored diamond. You can see a picture of it at the bottom of this page in her setting.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/3-colored-diamonds-in-3-stone-rose-gold-ring.110103/

ger100

Shiny_Rock
No the yellow doesn''t have any green to it at all, except under UV. But the UV effect is very striking.
I''ve read through some of the links (yours & some off that one) and apparently a bright effect for yellow with UV is good, but not that common.
They do sparkle like crazy when placed directly under an indoor bulb. I''ve never have had a diamond sparkle like this in any other but indirect light! These are soooo bright, that if anything, under direct indoor bulb or bright outdoor light, they look less yellow and more sparkle than anything.
Can you tell that I''m in love.
30.gif

And gem nutso.
32.gif

Thanks!
Ger

ger100

Shiny_Rock
Wow...beautiful stone! Wish I had one that big. But if hers fluoros brightly like mine...I am a happy camper. I carefully looped my little guys and found only ONE flaw, in the middle of one of the center stones. I guess I''ve just never had such "quality" before!!
Thanks
Ger

PS: There''s an incused "SF" on the back. I know it''s a long shot, but does that ring any bells as to origin?

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi ger100-

Fluorescence in natural yellow diamonds is not that uncommon, and your earrings look beautiful. The amount or color it fluoresces will not tell you whether it is treated or not. Yellow and yellowish/green are seen often, and IMHO they are an asset, not a detriment. If it fluoresces yellow, and it''s already a yellow diamond, it can only make it look more yellow, and that''s a good thing. A natural yellow diamond can actually fluoresce blue, orange, white, yellow or green. As far as I see it, fluorescence in general is terribly misunderstood and often looked upon as kind kind of problem instead of another unique attribute to the stone. If you put a Chameleon diamond under short wave UV, and then turn off all the lights, it will continue show its fluorescence (glow) for 20 or 30 seconds. That is about the coolest thing I have ever seen a diamond do, and to me a selling a point! So don''t worry about your earrings glowing, enjoy then, and think how cool they will look if you wear them to a disco.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The Aurora coloured diamond collection that I have been lucky enough to see on a couple of occasions is normally displayed in a case which goes from normal light to UV light every few minutes. The response and colours that some of the diamonds go is quite spectacular and none of these are treated in anyway.

If you take a pave or channel-set ring with white melee and put it under UV, you will often get some stones that will fluoresce and some that won''t. It does indicate anything untowards with either type, it''s just a quirk of nature.

Obviously irradiated stones will do interesting things of their own, but fluorescing under UV is not an definitive indicator of the stone being treated as far as I am aware (although there may be some colours that fluoresce specific colours if they are irradiated - I''m not a coloured diamond nut, so not sure on this
1.gif
)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, even some of the diamonds in my cheapy LOGR mounts fluoresce. It''s a cool phenomenon. I think it enhances colored diamonds, but I don''t like what it sometimes does to white diamonds. It can make them look milky in sunlight.

cofor

Shiny_Rock
This natural yellow 0,15 ct in my WB fluoresces intensely pure yellow. It was checked at the HRD lab in Antwerp. It can even be noticed in sunlight.

wedring_yeldia3.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I agree that fluorescence in yellow diamond is not a definitive indicator of treatment, but there is a steadily growing problem of synthetic yellow diamond melee infiltrating the marketplace.

Natural diamonds can fluoresce many colors, but the most common color of fluorescence--even in yellow diamonds, is blue.

My first indicator of synthetic or irradiated diamond is color. If it's too good to be true--red flags arise.

Untreated synthetic yellow diamonds will commonly fluoresce yellow-green under shortwave uv and some may phosphoresce. They may not show fluoro under longwave uv.

Treated synthetics will usually fluoresce mod-strong green, yellow-green, or orange under both longwave and shortwave uv.

Synthetic yellow diamond melee is often mixed into parcels of natural yellows and then sold to the general public. I met Dr. James Shigley at GIA, and I was lucky to get to speak to him about this issue. There are no clear answers, and the labs are working on more efficient ways to id these synthetics in melee sizes, but it's an uphill battle I'm afraid. Testing melee is not cost efficient.

http://www.jckonline.com/blog/870000287/post/1450034545.html

http://www.modernjeweler.com/print/Modern-Jeweler/New-Test-for-Small-Synthetic-Diamonds/1$823

http://gia.metapress.com/content/7701tk53k3128k48/

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ger100

Just chiming in to add that you''ve mentioned that your yellows were cheaper than whites of the same size. That does make me think that they may be irradiated. However, that''s no bad thing - especially if the price is right. Typically (and this is a sweeping generalisation), a natural yellow diamond will be roughly the same price as a white diamond of the same clarity and size etc. Irradiation doesn''t mean that you''ll turn a funny colour or glow when you wear them so don''t worry on that score!

In terms of fluorescence and the pricing of diamonds - flurorescence doesn''t actually mean a diamond is more expensive. Some people love fluor, others hate it! It''s personal preference. Strangely, years ago, diamonds with fluor were highly sought after. They then became less fashionable and there was a shift away from them. There seems to be a resurgence to them being in favour again!

What I would say is that you need to follow Coati''s advice and get them checked to ensure they''re not synthetic. If you''ve bought from a reputable dealer it''s unlikely but any jeweller can check fairly quickly for you.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
most fancy yellow diamonds fluoresce blue as stated. irradiated diamonds of almost any color fluoresce green.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 3:16:04 AM
Author: soberguy
most fancy yellow diamonds fluoresce blue as stated. irradiated diamonds of almost any color fluoresce green.
I beg to differ. I have a number of irradiated diamonds and they fluoresce yellow, green, orange and blue!

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
ok, shall I re-type that sentence???? I didn''t say ALL, I said almost ANY. So you disagree about what???

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 4:18:52 PM
ok, shall I re-type that sentence???? I didn''t say ALL, I said almost ANY. So you disagree about what???
There is absolutely no need to be so rude. You''ve just accused others of being rude on another thread. Please don''t start on me because you don''t like this forum.

I was simply correcting your statement. You said " irradiated diamonds of almost any color fluoresce green". That is incorrect. Irradiation does not mean that IF a diamond were to fluoresce it would only fluoresce green. Irradiated diamonds fluoresce different colours and it doesn''t matter on the colour that they''ve been irradiated. I have a black diamond that fluoresces bright blue, a yellow that fluoresces orange, a yellow that fluoresces blue, a red that fluoresces orange etc. Pictures have been posted on this forum and if you do a search you''ll find them.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I hardly think that was rude. What YOU wrote, however was rather rude. I mis-labeled forum, I meant thread in that case. But my word you are defensive.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2009 5:22:46 PM
I hardly think that was rude. What YOU wrote, however was rather rude. I mis-labeled forum, I meant thread in that case. But my word you are defensive. Is this the friendliness???
I wasn''t rude to you. The words I used were "I beg to differ". Your response was to type in capital letters and the "tone" of your post was sarcastic and implied that I had misunderstood. I had not.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
My wife read it too. Your tone was rude. The capitol letters were clarification, not yelling. "don''t start on me?" I wasn''t starting anything. I was simply pointing out the fact that a LOT of irradiated diamonds of any color have green fluoresence. So I wasn''t exactly sure what you were disagreeing with. Be that as it may, they are lovely.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results