shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BigKahuna

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty new to all of this. I'm considering a stone that has an EGL certificate. The certificate notes the fluorescence as "Very Slightly Blue."Is that a bad thing? What exactly is fluorescence?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
BigKahuna, Very Slightly Blue fluorescence shouldn't be a problem at all. It is not recommended to buy a diamond only if it has strong fluorescence and diamond looks oily or milky in the day or halogen light.About 20% of diamonds exhibit fluorescence. Fluorescence can be seen in darkened rooms with black lights. The effect is like a white shirt in a discotheque. The most common fluorescent color is blue, and this can vary from weak or faint to very strong. Blue fluorescence can be an advantage, particularly in lower (below I) colored diamonds, because blue is the complimentary color to yellow. Adding blue compensates for yellow and makes the diamond appear whiter in any light that has an ultra violet component (e.g. daylight and halogen lighting).In general the trade discounts D, E and F colored fluorescent diamonds, but a GIA survey of experts and consumers found a slight preference for fluorescent diamonds. 30 years ago fluorescent diamonds were prized and often given a misleading name; ‘blue-white’. If a diamond has extremely strong flourescence it can appear oily or cloudy, and this is not good. Another reason the trade discounts flourescent diamonds is that some laboratories use grading lights that emit a small amount of ultra violet light. This means lower grade blue flourescent diamonds are possibly assigned a better grade than they should.

Charmed88

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I''m a jeweler and been in the business for over 12 years. You want the diamond to be a nice medium blue.. Slightly blue means the diamond may have too many inclusions and blemishes.. A blue light helps shows a clear diamonds it''s true flaws... Let me know if this helps.

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
"I''m a jeweler and been in the business for over 12 years. You want the diamond to be a nice medium blue.. Slightly blue means the diamond may have too many inclusions and blemishes.. A blue light helps shows a clear diamonds it''s true flaws... Let me know if this helps."
------- -------- -------- --------- -------
WHAT??!!
32.gif

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
What? For me as well. That does not make sense to me. I have never heard that before, and I thought I had read everything, about floresence.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How odd, this post is FOUR years old...

Charmed88...this is the first we have ever heard of THAT...and we have alot of experts and jewelers who have been in business for many years here...that is almost as good as something I heard recently from a jeweler which was that a VVS stone sparkles alot more than a VS.
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

double post.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 12:03:34 AM
Author: Mara

that is almost as good as something I heard recently from a jeweler which was that a VVS stone sparkles alot more than a VS.
5.gif
I heard that too, actually, at C H Premier Jewelers in Valley Fair.
20.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
VVS= Very Very sparkly
VS= Very Sparkly

Its their own system....
29.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, David and John!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes thanks for the giggle Oldminer and JQ - priceless!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results