shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenabelle1218

Rough_Rock
I have an EGL certified diamond that states no fluorescence. BUT, my diamond glows under a black light. Is that possible? It really bothers me. Under regular light, the stone is beautiful, it is clear but the glowing upsets me because of what the certification states. Any advice?
TIA

siknastyinc

Rough_Rock
im no expert as you can notice but it really should not matter as long as it looks pretty in regular light. the fluoro pending what color is actually loved by many of the experts on here so if it looks pretty and doesnt have any milky or oily look to it i would smile and be on my marry way

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What colour does it fluorescence? Fluoro doesn''t bother me, in fact, I always actively look for diamonds with fluorescence. The only thing that concerns me is why your stone doesn''t match up to the cert. Perhaps, this is the time to check the stone out with an independent appraiser to make sure it is the correct stone while getting his/her opinion on why it doesn''t match up.

wen104

Shiny_Rock
I will say from reading other posts about cerifications, EGL is loose on grading. I personally love fluorescence in a diamond and if I ever buy another one I will seek that out as my current one does not have it. I have tested my diamond under a black light and it does not give off a glow at all. If your diamond glows under a black light then chances are it has fluorescence. That being said how long have you had this ring? Can you take it back and talk to the seller, maybe pick a different stone? Fluorescence is not for everyone but definitely something alot seek out.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Impossible for me to say for sure without seeing the stone, but???

Is it "glowing" or reflecting the blue light? Sometimes when you look at a non fluorescent stone you see the blue light reflecting back to you. Be sure to turn it side ways and see if it is truly glowing. If it is, then your cert is in error, but it is EGL so check and see if it is EGL US or Europe or Israel. If it is Israel or Europe, then of course it is worth less than the paper it is printed on and the plastic used to enclose it.

I have seen GIA paper with the same error, so errors do happen of course, but it is not common with competent labs.

I also happen to be in the camp that LOVES medium to strong blue fluorescence and fondly remember the days when they used to bring a 10% premium back before the investment craze of the late 70''s when it was too much trouble to have to explain and became a no no to the paper pushers. I have sold many stones with strong blue that looked MUCH more wonderful than a stone of the same color without it in out door light.

If it bothers you only because of what the paper states, have the paper redone by a competent lab, you may find a new reason to be unhappy, say the difference in the color and clarity grades if the stone was done by EGL Europe or Israel, but at least the fluorescence will be correct...

Wink

jenabelle1218

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone. I''ll have to really look at it under the black light to see the color but in sunlight it glows blue/purple. I really love my ring and get a lot of compliments from strangers. My only worry is the certification. I am going to my jeweler tomorrow for a different reason but I am bringing a small black light and the certification to show him. Thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The major labs have somewhat tightened up their misuse of the word "none" in recent years, but not entirely to the satisfaction of those of us who split hairs and argue the finer points. The word "negligible" has replaced the use of "none" on some lab reports so there is an allowance or tolerance of a very small amount of visible fluorescence reasonably to be expected. Anyone would expect "none" to mean "no at all", but the major labs took a strange and unique approach which meant "less than our slighly fluorescent master stone". This serves the goals of their major clients, large diamond dealers, but misleads nearly everyone else. This subject has been covered many times and no amount of embarassment seems to prevent the continuing saga of what does "none" mean?

In truth, every diamond reacts to UV light, but only a percentage react within the visible spectrum. EVERY diamond is UV fluorescent to some extent, but not all react visibly at wavelengths our eyes can process. Different eyes have slightly varying capacity to see the outer ranges of the visible light spectrum so what you might see at the fringe, someone else might not see or see a bit better than you.

I wear a strongly fluorescent diamond which I really enjoy. It is a very nicely cut stone which also has the unusual characteristic that it truns blue/violet in strong sunlight. Of course, it gets cloudy when it reacts in this way. I like this unique characterisitic, but I doubt it would be what most would find attractive for an engagement ring. Engagements, much like marraiges, are built around tradition rather than uniqueness. A fiance'' or bride is following quite traditional steps and giving a "strange" diamond may throw off their life long dreams of the little house surrounded by the white picket fence. An unusual diamond sort of rocks the boat of what might be expected and hoped for. There is nothing wrong with UV fluorescence. Any effect UV reaction is corrected by the way the market values the diamond, at least in theory.

The reality is that unless you want to experiment, a diamond with more than medium UV visible effect, is a challenge that may foul up someone''s expectations. Others may see a strong UV effect as an opportunity to differentiate their diamond from the vast majority. You ought to look at these diamonds in strong daylight to know how UV will alter their appearance so you know what you are up against. I gave my wife a large, non-fluorescent diamond with 2 strongly blue fluorescent diamonds, one on each side. She likes the amazing way three matching diamonds suddenly change to blue, white,blue when she goes into strong sunlight. She likes the effect under black lighting where you go from matching to blue,black,blue. Its all a matter of knowledge and personal taste.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is so interesting.
20.gif
I had an AGS triple 0 about 9 years ago and I always thought it had flurescence even thought the cert said inert, so that is interesting to know. Thanks for this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results