shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
We have bought a diamond with a GIA certificate from Blue Nile that says there is no fluorescence. When I got the diamond home I took it in the sunlight and it appeared to have a slight blue glow. We then put it under a UV light and sure enough it had slight fluorescence. Other than this the diamond is absolutely beatiful but I really wanted one with no fluorescence.

Is this normal for a GIA certificate to say none and there actually be some? Do you know how GIA grades fluorescence (i.e. sliding scale)?

We are considering sending the diamond back, but cannot find anything of similar quality to replace it. What are your thoughts?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may want to check with a local appraiser who has the proper short wave ultra violent conditions to check the fluorescence. There is the possibility that the stone on the cert is not the diamond you actually have or perhaps GIA made a goof. Either way you should definetely have it checked professionally. What kind of stone did you get that it's so hard to find?

Ex/Ex,
Rhino

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
One of the first things I did when I noticed it was to take it to a GIA appraiser and I walked back there with him to look at it under the proper lighting. He said he would grade it as faint fluorescence. I am upset because I purchased a diamond with no fluorescence.

When the GIA report says none does this mean that there is absolutely no fluorescence found or is there a certain limit of fluorescence permitted? Maybe this diamond is border line?

I have done extensive research on diamonds and I know that fluorescence doesn't really influence the value or quality especially when it is faint but I am just curious of why the GIA says none. Any more information anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
I am no totally sure of the GIA scale for grading flourescence...i think someone had a picture of how they would look someplace. Rhino is that your site? anyway, the GIA cert is compiled by Humans. Always remember that, so there is a small margin of error that may occur. However, that margin is usually greatly reduced with GIA.

With that said, i can't imagine the difference between faint and none, is very extreme, and most would agree that it does not affect the price. had it been a color or clarity issue, that may be a different matter.

Correct me if i am wrong, but it should not make a difference, that is unless you REALLY hate flourescence. Depending on the company you are working with, they may be happy to switch for an inert one. though some may not.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
The first thing you need to realize is that grading fluorescence takes some practice. What you're seeing may not be fluorescence at all but just a reflection from the UV light. It's a very common mistake when people are first learning how to grade diamonds.

That being said, what a lot of people don't realize is that GIA grades fluorescence with masterstones. A diamond that has less fluorescence than the Faint masterstone gets a grade of "None" even though it may have a tiny amount of it.

Personally, I think people put WAY too much emphasis on diamond fluorescence. GIA did a formal study of the perception of fluorescence about 5 years ago and discovered that non-expert simply could not tell the difference between fluorescent diamonds, even in very wide ranges.

diamondseeker

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your help. I took it to another jeweler in town and he said some of the same things you are saying. He even let me take a few diamonds of similar quality outside in the light to compare. Apparently, the first jeweler was using a light similar to a black light and seemed a bit more interested in trying to sell us their diamonds, even though we were not interested. I am not sure if they were even using the right light? I guess most or all diamonds can look a little blue in direct sunlight? Needless to say we will not be going back to the first jeweler ever again (GIA certified or not).

I will have to say that Blue Nile has had some good customer service through this. Of course this was one of the reasons I went with them.

I have one more question for you. We are going to get the diamond appraised and I am looking for some tips. What should I ask, or look for in an appraiser? I know to go to someone who doesn’t sell diamonds but that is about it. How should I locate one (i.e. yellow pages)?

Thank you again!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 11/25/2002 2:44:53 PM

Personally, I think people put WAY too much emphasis on diamond fluorescence. GIA did a formal study of the perception of fluorescence about 5 years ago and discovered that non-expert simply could not tell the difference between fluorescent diamonds, even in very wide ranges.
----------------

Actually, if you go back and read the article, the bl. fluor stones were selected on a regular basis as being more "visually desirable" by those same experts. Personally, I think bl. fluor gets a bad rap and can even have the stone face up "whiter" especially in the GHI range and over. But then, I wouldn't own a stone without it - so I am reverse predujice.

But, you are correct - many people avoid it like the plague when it really isn't that big a deal - and can actually boost the appearance of a stone.

Rook

Shiny_Rock
Here is a good article on fluoresence by Steve at Dems Jewelers.

http://www.demsjewelers.com/index.php?submenu=diamonds&src=gendocs&link=Fluorescence

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
there is a great list of appraisers here on the link at the top of the page. find one near you, or send it out to one of the "superstar" appraisers like Dave Atlas.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results