shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Hey all, I know this topic has been discussed many many times in this forum, and believe me, I have read a lot of the posts, articles, and any information I can get on the topic. But I thought I would go directly to the source of expert opinion. Here is my concern, I am on the verge of purchasing a GIA cert diamond, 1.3 carat, brilliant, F, VVS2 which scored very good on all categories in the diamond cut adviser tool on this site. My only hesitation is the "strong blue" fluorescence. I initially was looking for a diamond with no or very faint fluorescence, but this is such a good deal that I was wondering if it would be worth it to sacrifice that statistic. I really don''t want the blue color to come out in the sun like some other pictures on this site has shown, and am asking anyone who has personally seen a strong blue fluorescent diamond in direct sunlight to please let me know the unbiased truth. The jeweler I am potentially buying from says that they doesn''t even notice the fluorescence, is this possible, or are they bending the truth? Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
I would not purchase a colorless diamond with strong blue fluro. I own a D with med blue and dislike it. It's personal preference though. You'll get folks on here who will drool at your post. GL!!

edit - of course you'll be able to see the fluro. especially strong blue. your jeweler should know better.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Can you look at it and see whether you like it, and if you don''t, return it or refrain from buying it?

Yes, it''s possible to have a diamond with strong fluorescence that you don''t notice. I''ve been told that''s because labs aren''t nearly as consistent in grading fluorescence as they are in other characteristics, and also because there''s a wide range in what they mean by strong. I have a J with AGS-graded strong blue fluorescence, which I bought hoping it would glow lavender blue, but it doesn''t. I don''t really notice the fluorescence. When I look at it under UV, it doesn''t seem particularly strong to me. It must be at the low end of what the grader is calling strong--close to medium. I have another diamond with what GIA called medium blue, which actually looks stronger, and IS visible in sunlight.

So it''s possible your stone won''t show much effect from the fluorescence, and it''s possible it will. The only way for you to know is to look at it.

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
My center marquise (look left) is E color, VS1 with a strong blue fluoresence. My fiance picked this b/c he knows I love blue stones and he loves different minerals with flourescence like calcite. I can see that my stone looks whiter, brighter, and a slight bit blue in the natural sunlight. I cannot say anything bad about it - it adds an extra dimension. The only difficult thing is if you have side stones they may not look exactly the same in the sunlight if no flourescence.

However.... totally neat science under a black light. It all depends on what you like!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I have a stone that is H in color with strong blue fluorescence and I love it. My stone faces up so white and I personally don''t notice the blue. I bought this stone sight unseen but trusted the vendor (had them look at it for me). I wasn''t disappointed. Also the price was perfect. By getting this stone, I was able to get more bang for my buck. GL with whatever you choose.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The only way you''re going to know if you can see it and tolerate is by taking it out in sunlight. My stone is a G with medium fluoro. I don''t see it.

I''d probably buy it if it had a good return policy and take it for a test drive
9.gif

Indira-London

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 7:54:18 AM
Author: elle_chris
The only way you''re going to know if you can see it and tolerate is by taking it out in sunlight. My stone is a G with medium fluoro. I don''t see it.

I''d probably buy it if it had a good return policy and take it for a test drive
9.gif
Ditto - seeing the diamond would be best. If that is not possible if your vendor assures you that its not visible in the sunlight then you can get it on that condition (it the diamond should be returnable if that is not true).

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most of the diamonds I''ve owned personally have exhibited medium to strong blue fluorescence, even a D color with Very Strong Blue, but as stated by others within this post, it''s a personal preference. I tend to like the slight lavender blue hue that a diamond with strong fluorescence can pick up in direct sunlight (it''s pretty subtle, but there if you look for it). When I used to sit face-to-face with clients in-store, we used to sell a lot of diamonds with fluorescence. Of course, explaining fluorescence and showing clients fluorescent diamonds was part of our diamond education process and people were able to see the effect of fluorescence in a variety of lighting conditions, including how the diamond fluoresced under black light and could make an informed decision based on their visual preference. We receive a fair amount of requests from people online who are searching for diamonds with medium to strong blue fluorescence, but most of them have also seen the effect of fluorescence in-person and know that they like it. One client was a chemist and he stated that strong blue fluorescence was a MUST!

cougarrx

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your insight...I guess it boils down to preference. I am still undecided, but have requested a photo from the seller in direct sunlight and under the uv lamp. Hopefully that will satisfy me. On that same topic, the seller offers a 30 day return policy...but I also wanted to know from all of you if this is a safe thing to do, meaning has anyone ever been "screwed over" with returns, or given a hard time returning a stone? Thanks in advance for your help.

vf0valkyrie

Rough_Rock
hi there, i''ve been searching all over for VSB stones, but didn''t have much luck finding those.
Most that I''ve come across are MB or SB. The former where I couldn''t see any blue tinge at all under sunlight and spot lights in the shop. The latter where I really have to try really really hard because I could kind of "imagine" it to be there, but that was only because I have seen a how brilliantly a VSB glows under sunlight. If not, I would not even notice the SB even existed.

As for the return policy, if the place you are buying from has a written policy about it you would be rather safe. You could always triple check with them, get a written and signed assurance etc. Or maybe a handshake would suffice just like in the "good old days"
9.gif

If not why not search for a diamond with one of the online vendors here at PS?

I''m sure they would have something close to what you are looking for and would be glad to accomodate you if you excercise that return policy.

I know I would not hesitate to buy because I trust the return policy here with the online vendors. I had very very positive experiences with Wink from HPD, Sarah from GOG, and Traci from WF.
Their sincerity has touched me and I know they would honour the return policy without fail if it needs to be excercised.

Just my personal thoughts, experience and opinons.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m one of those that would love it, but if you really don''t want to see the pretty bluish purple-ish look in the sunlight, maybe strong isn''t the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results