shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence rating in yellow diamonds

whoisjohngalt

Rough_Rock
Hello,

Am new to the forums so excuse my naiveté ... Designing a yellow diamond center stone engagement ring for my SO and wondering if anyone can help me with how fluorescence rating matters for yellow diamonds ? Have read some articles online about fluorescence as it applies to white/colourless diamonds but nothing specific for the yellow or other coloured varieties of diamonds. Found a really nice stone on JA at my price point that I was thinking to purchase but noticed the fluorescence rating is "strong" and worried that might mar it somehow. Any input you might have would be appreciated. The stone is here: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di.../oval-cut/1.38-carat-vvs2-clarity-sku-2366802

- John

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi John,
I can't comment on any specific stone of a competitor, but I can make general comments.
Fluorescence in yellow diamonds is a bit of a wildcard- but in many cases, it's a detriment.
When you're searching you're bound to notice that Medium, and Strong Blue fluorescent diamonds trade at a significant discount. There's good reason for this.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Kind of funny as we were just discussing this in another thread. It's tricky in Fancy colored diamonds as it does not always affect them all the same way. I checked the GIA report and it's a strong blue so it May tend to wash the color out of the diamond in certain lighting. Can James Allen take photos in different lighting for you to view?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Look for fluorescence colours that are additive. In shaded daylight a Vivid yellow can drop a grade easily if it is strong or very strong blue.
But a Fancy intense yellow can jump up if it has yellow or greenish fluoro.
That means a lot.

whoisjohngalt

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses - seems like I might be gambling on this fluorescence thing unless I get some more information from the vendor ... appreciate it.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1485820999|4122009 said:
Look for fluorescence colours that are additive. In shaded daylight a Vivid yellow can drop a grade easily if it is strong or very strong blue.
But a Fancy intense yellow can jump up if it has yellow or greenish fluoro.
That means a lot.

you'd think that would hold true based on logic Garry. It does not hold true in all cases.
Vivid yellow is a unique color grade. There's so many subsets of hues that can get the grade from GIA.
The most vivid vivid yellow we ever had had strong blue fluorescence, as graded by GIA.
It did not "wash out" in shaded sunlight, although I agree most MB/SB Vivid yellow diamonds will.
I put it next to a pretty nice vivid and it just killed the other stone. The color was so pure and canary.
And I feel quite sure that the SB had something to do with that color.

There's no simply answer to the fluorescence question

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results