shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

riley2010

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone, I recently purchased this 1.25C diamond. The specs are as follows:

- 1.25 C VS2
- Color E
- Total Depth 62.4%
- Table 57%
- Crown 16%
- Pavilion 43%
- Polish EX
- Sym Very Good
- paid $8K

I knew what fluorescence was about and the cert said this stone is Distinct. it looked great in the store and even when the sun came through the window. There was a slight blue. However, now that i have it in direct sunlight, its a bit stronger of a blue color. Now i wonder if i paid too much or this is fine.

The pictures actually show the blue Fluoro stronger then in person. What are your thoughts?

riley2010

Rough_Rock
This is in direct sun light... UV at 5.

in sun 1.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 3:57:07 PM
Author:riley2010

Hello everyone, I recently purchased this 1.25C diamond. The specs are as follows:

- 1.25 C VS2
- Color E
- Total Depth 62.4%
- Table 57%
- Crown 16%
- Pavilion 43%
- Polish EX
- Sym Very Good
- paid $8K

I knew what fluorescence was about and the cert said this stone is Distinct. it looked great in the store and even when the sun came through the window. There was a slight blue. However, now that i have it in direct sunlight, its a bit stronger of a blue color. Now i wonder if i paid too much or this is fine.

The pictures actually show the blue Fluoro stronger then in person. What are your thoughts?

Hi Riley,

Does the diamond have a lab report such as EGL or GIA?

riley2010

Rough_Rock
another pic with direct sunlight

in sun close up.JPG

riley2010

Rough_Rock
the last pic in direct sun

sun close up 2.JPG

riley2010

Rough_Rock
This is the diamond in the shade but still outside.

outside shade 1.JPG

riley2010

Rough_Rock
Yes... EGL. I know there are differences but I am okay with EGL.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe I'll try a test.

I'll cut a small hole a large piece of white cardboard.
Position the board so the sun shines through the hole onto the diamonds and some how adjust the camera position to take a pic without blocking the sunlight.
This will let the UV of the sun into the diamond but block the blue sky reflections.

Then I'll remove the board and take the exact same pic with the light from blue sky allowed to enter the diamond.

We do not think of it but the blue sky IS a source of light.
The French Impressionist painters discovered this around 130 years ago and started putting blue into the shadows.
This brought their paintings to life.
Before that most painters used black for the shadows in sunlight.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Riley,

I forgot to ask you to post the girdle thickness and the diameter of the stone in MM, would you mind adding those please?

Thanks!

Also concerning the price, did you purchase it from a brick and mortar store and did the price you paid include the setting?

riley2010

Rough_Rock
The Girdle is thin and faceted.

6.90 - 6.86 x 4.29 mm

I have a pretty good relationship with the diamond wholesaler and would be able to return the stone for another.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2010 4:25:32 PM
Author: riley2010
The Girdle is thin and faceted.

6.90 - 6.86 x 4.29 mm

I have a pretty good relationship with the diamond wholesaler and would be able to return the stone for another.
Also which EGL lab graded the diamond such as Israel, Antwerp etc? Some EGL labs are said to be less strict than others. The price is high and assuming the grading might not actually be as stated, what I would do is make the sale final on the stone checking out with an independant appraiser. That way they can tell you if they feel the price you paid is fair and whether the grading is appropriate.

It is a decently cut stone but there is no doubt you could do better but it depends on you, if you just want a reasonable cut then this one might fit the bill, if you want a diamond with superior optics then maybe a stone with a higher standard of cut might be a better option.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you know anyone else with a diamond? Take them both in the sunlight and see how they look. I think Kenny is right to point out that with a nice blue sky any diamond will take on a bluish tone. The same thing happens when people take their F colored diamond into their yellow kitchen and then worry about how yellow it is!
4.gif

kristie

Shiny_Rock
ITA with Kenny.....I used to have a strong blue that would get very blue in the sun like yours.....then I got an AGS stone that has NO fluor at all according to the appraiser. Today I was wearing my diamond on a very bright day outside with a blue sky and no clouds.....even my no fluor diamond was a little blue from the sky reflection. Strong blues tend to take on a violet/purplish appearance in the sun always.

IMO, you overpaid for this particular stone. Definitely not "wholesale" price as this dealer is trying to claim. You could find an even nicer stone from a PS vendor. IT does not sound as though you are really liking this particular one. If the fluor bothers you now, it will bother you down the road every single time you go outside
5.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Is your concern about the price or about the way fluorescence looks? Price, as others have mentioned, you can do better with or without fluorescence. With fluorescence, I have seen slight decreases in pricing but honestly.. that a whole lot in the high colors, clarity and size I looked into (not sure about the lower colors).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results