shape
carat
color
clarity

fluorescence pros?cons?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ogn

Rough_Rock
PLEASE HELP..opinions please on fluorescence; I am considering buying a round 2.51ct F-color vs2 very good cut diamond with medium blue fluorescence...I don't have all the specs but the cert is GIA...should I steer away from fluorescence? thanks for any quick input. I must make a decision tomorrow a.m.

Thank you very much to all the generous folks that replied to my request for opinions on fluor. I tried to reply to each of you my thanks but missed the reply button or didn't see it, if that's possible. This is my first time on any forum, and patience is appreciated. I will be comparing the 2.51 F-VS2 with med-blue fluor with a 2.50 G-VS2 no fluor tomorrow and your input has relieved me of some stress and has encouraged me to just "go" with what appears to be beautiful to me personally. I feel that the true answer is, I CAN'T make a mistake. Ellen you're quick response and link was the great, I read it all. Thanks again to all of you.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

sazza

Rough_Rock
I have an H with medium blue fluorescence and the only time I''ve been able to sortof see it is in bright bright sun, it glows a little blueish. Although my moms ring does something similar and she doesn''t have florescence so it may be in my head! I know for my stone it looks bright white and beautiful so I''d say that the medium florescence that I''ve seen certainly doesn''t hurt and it may even help lower colors.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 6:09:08 PM
Author: sazza
I have an H with medium blue fluorescence and the only time I''ve been able to sortof see it is in bright bright sun, it glows a little blueish. Although my moms ring does something similar and she doesn''t have florescence so it may be in my head! I know for my stone it looks bright white and beautiful so I''d say that the medium florescence that I''ve seen certainly doesn''t hurt and it may even help lower colors.
I have the same thing. Medium blue on my stone and I can''t decide if it''s the fluoro or the sky.

ogn- the medium fluoro won''t hurt the stone at all (other than it might be discounted which is a good thing.) You may not even notice it.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I would ask someone who is able to look at it to tell you if it is clear. Can they send you a picture? I have a friend who has a stone with strong flo and her stone is milky in sunlight. But, I have seen pics of some on this site that do not look milky. My rock has slight flo and it''s undetectable--very clear. It can add a nice violet/blue tinge in sunlight, which I think is nice.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 8:26:21 PM
Author: justjulia
I would ask someone who is able to look at it to tell you if it is clear. Can they send you a picture? I have a friend who has a stone with strong flo and her stone is milky in sunlight. But, I have seen pics of some on this site that do not look milky. My rock has slight flo and it''s undetectable--very clear. It can add a nice violet/blue tinge in sunlight, which I think is nice.
really?? is there any way you can get a pic of her ring showing this? I''ve read on here and on GIA''s site it''s pretty rare. Are you sure her stone isn''t very strong blue?

With medium flouro I wouldn''t worry.

ogn

Rough_Rock
Yipee! I found the reply button...thanks again to all of you for replying so quickly and with good info...Ellen the link was the best, I read it all. Also, I saw the stone I''m interested in a few days ago, looked at it through the microscope, idealscope, blue light and also, walked outside in the sunlight with it. It didn''t look blue in the sun at all and looked very clear outside in the sun and inside the store as well. It also has the arrows when I looked through what I think was the Idealscope. Feel free to correct me at any time. Anyway, tomorrow, I''ll be comparing it with another stone, 2.50 G-VS2 w/no fluor. Not 100% sure of the cut. Thanks again to all.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s an effect that most of the time isn''t noticeable at all, but I actually really like it when it is. I specifically looked for a pendant with strong blue flour and I love it. It is quite rare that flour will negatively impact performance, and these stones can usually be screened out pretty quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results