Do you like fluorescence?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/9/2008 10:14:22 AM
Author: Sarah@GOG
Yes. i took a diamond with strong blue FL out into direct sunlight for a customer to tell them if the blue was very obvious and it was. I thought it looked awesome and i bet it would look even cooler under black lights.
25.gif

Welcome Sarah at GOG, this is your first post that I have seen. Glad to have you with us.

Wink

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you should have had an option that says "I feel neutral about it", and that would be me!
1.gif

I have 2 diamonds with fluor, one with strong blue and the other medium blue and I''ve never noticed any of the slight blue/ violet tint to these nor the "crispiness" thatt someone has described, as hard as I''ve looked!! In fact, I never knew my stones had fluor until about 2 years ago and I''ve had one of the stones for 12 1/2 yrs and the other for 7!
6.gif

The strange thing is that my 3carater which is supposed to have negligible (sp?) fluor exhibits a very noticeable blue tint when exposed to very strong sun light/ rays. I''ve noticed that this is even more prominent in the strong Australian sun. Not sure what the explanation is. Would love to hear from the experts.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2008 10:02:21 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 5/9/2008 7:10:22 PM
Author: smooleys
So, why is Fluorescence discounted if most people want it? I''m having a hard time deciding to look at stones with or w/o it.
I am working on an answer to that - it is rather complex, but really stoopid.

Most of the reasons I have discovered make no sense at all.

I hope to publish something in the journal section in a few months.

By preference my store would be full of fluoro diamonds.
Also I am OK with some diamonds that look oily in direct sunlight as long as they do not in cloudy or shaded daylight.
I have often wondered this too, and from what I have read there are no definate answers. I will be very interested to read your journal Garry - maybe you can post a link when finished, if this is allowed?
tia!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 9:39:34 AM
Author: Wink

Date: 5/9/2008 7:58:54 AM
Author: DiaGem
On high colours especially..., with the correct amount of fluo. (strong to very strong (no yellow))..., it would give a type of crispiness to the transparency of the Diamond!

In my personal opinion..., it is surely worth a premium! So as long as the Diamond market discounts those..., take advantage...
3.gif

I was just going to make my own comment about why I love fluorescence, but this was so well stated that I had to quote it first.

As I said to a client yesterday in Detroit, I am in Boise, ''Fluorescence is an extra gift of beauty the God puts in some stones. Out of doors they show this faintest hint of glowing blue that just looks somehow magical.

When I got into the business I paid a premium for these gems from my suppliers and proudly passed it on to my clients who loved the gems with that extra touch of beauty. When the investment craze hit in the late 70''s, people who were selling ladies shoes the week before were now selling diamonds from boiler room phone banks and had no clue what fluorescence was or how to explain it and it came to be viewed as a bad thing.

Wink

Note: I am well aware that somewhere below 1% of medium to strong fluorescent stones are what are called ''overblues'' and will appear oily. My comments above do not apply to these rare stones. I use the word stones intentionally, as these are not gems.
But you''ve gotta admit Wink, all the better for us informed consumers now, because of those "shoe salespersons" in the past, we can now get these funky fluor stones with a discount! lol
2.gif

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Can fluorescence in sidestones cause a difference in visual color?

e.g. if you have two sidestones, 12 - 16 points, could one having strong fluorescence & the other none cause them to look different?

zerj

Rough_Rock
I like it for the cool party trick factor but haven''t noticed any visual performance in daylight yet. We have a diamond with Strong Blue fluoro and can''t see any difference in spring sun (perhaps this summer).

One interesting thing to me is other common items with flouro. Most Laundry detergents has phosphor so under a black light a plain white tee-shirt exhibits much more blue flourecense than our diamond. I do wonder how diamonds can appear to have a blue tint under full sun if I have never seen this effect on a teeshirt.

Still I got a keychain UV LED light (http://www.photonlight.com/UV-Ultraviolet-LED-Lights-Specialty-LED-Lights-p/uv-ultraviolet-led-blacklight.htm) that certainly is fun to play with flourecense. I never noticed that the security strip for different denominations of US currency flourecesed different colors before.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! My diamond has some flouro and I love the lavender blue color it gives off in sunlight, so pretty!

mintve

Brilliant_Rock
My G stone has a slight flouresence and it sparkles sooooooooooooo white! love it!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/10/2008 11:11:15 AM
Author: arjunajane

So, why is Fluorescence discounted if most people want it? I''m having a hard time deciding to look at stones with or w/o it.

Also I am OK with some diamonds that look oily in direct sunlight as long as they do not in cloudy or shaded daylight.
I have often wondered this too, and from what I have read there are no definate answers. I will be very interested to read your journal Garry - maybe you can post a link when finished, if this is allowed?
tia!
The journal is here - on the top tool bar.
Admin always pin a forum topic for a week or 2 here on Rocky Talky

BTW I added Wink''s excellent comments to it also.

For the aussies I was asked to do a presentation for the Diamond Guild of Australia at the conference in Perth next month - but I will be away, so I am making a power point for somoene else to present. Eventually this will also become an article in the Grahame Brown memorial issue of the Australian Gemmologist. He was the editor and died recently. He was a power house of a man - 3 lives - prof of dentistry, gems and senior reserve army commision - he was appointed dentist to the Govenor General. So that is an honour to be asked to submit something - and this vexed topic is worthy of Grahame - as consevrvative as he was as a preson - he liked to rattle cages

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2008 10:45:15 PM

Date: 5/10/2008 11:11:15 AM
Author: arjunajane

tia!
The journal is here - <Reviews> on the top tool bar.
Admin always pin a forum topic for a week or 2 here on Rocky Talky

BTW I added Wink''s excellent comments to it also.

For the aussies I was asked to do a presentation for the Diamond Guild of Australia at the conference in Perth next month - but I will be away, so I am making a power point for somoene else to present. Eventually this will also become an article in the Grahame Brown memorial issue of the Australian Gemmologist. He was the editor and died recently. He was a power house of a man - 3 lives - prof of dentistry, gems and senior reserve army commision - he was appointed dentist to the Govenor General. So that is an honour to be asked to submit something - and this vexed topic is worthy of Grahame - as consevrvative as he was as a preson - he liked to rattle cages

Thankyou for the info Garry! Mr Brown sure does sound like an interesting character.
I live in Perth, do you have to be invited to the conference? I''d love to listen in!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 1:04:31 AM
sorry - DGA is like an elite diamond business group - only about 20-30 members in the entire country. Not even other jewellers can attend. Invitation only.
thats what I figured - but hey, always worth asking right??
31.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I would love to hear why the people who voted that they did not like flouro why that is? Just curious :)

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/11/2008 9:42:52 AM
Author: Deelight
I would love to hear why the people who voted that they did not like flouro why that is? Just curious :)
I suspect most would be because they are afraid of oily hazy or other fears.

In my experiance very few people who have seen the blue fluoro effect find it distasteful - after all that is how blue white diamonds came to be the most expensive and desirable before all the other negative influences kicked in (begginning with the US FTC in 1938)

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love blue flour, but I don''t like yellow flour. I like blue flour for both lower and higher color stones. In lower colored stones it can help the color in certain lighting environments and in higher color stones they can look a beautiful periwinkle color in the sun. I looooove flour!! However, I wouldn''t turn down a stone that didn''t have flour. It''s not a huge deal, but definitely a perk in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results