shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence / Platinum 6 Prong Royal Crown setting by Vatche

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

square

Rough_Rock
I'd like to buy a Platinum 6 Prong Royal Crown setting by Vatche for a 1.04ct stone. Any ideas on what the best place is to buy one??

Also, I have been shopping stones for about a month. My top pick so far is a 1.04 ct D VS1 Ideal Cut (57% table, 60.5% Depth), Thin to Medium Girdle, VG Polish, EX Symmetry, No Culet, FAINT FLUORESCENCE w/ a GIA cert. How big of a deal is FAINT FLUORESCENCE?? And, what should I pay if I buy it? It is currently being offered to me for about $7300.

THANKS!
steve.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Faint fluorescence isn't a problem at all.

sells Vatche rings online.[/u]

square

Rough_Rock
THANKS LEONID!

A few more questions:
When buying a GIA cert round-brilliant stone, (1)How can I determine the crown height % & angle %, pavilion depth %, and actual girdle %; and (2) How important are those measurements if the table % and depth % are 57 and 60.5 and the girdle is listed as thin to medium.

Again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance!
Steve.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Steve,

57% table and 60.5% depth is a good combination - very good chance to have a nice stone.

). Since GIA doesn't include this information into report, you can ask your vendor to run Sarin or Ogi measurements for the stone in question.

for checking the proportions. Keep in mind, HCA is designed for preliminary filtering of the stones sight unseen. Once a diamond scores ok with HCA, don't split hears with it. :)

There are other methods to check cut quality e.g. ideal-scope. But at the end use your own eyes :)

Once again, T=57% - D=60.5% is a promising combibation.[/u][/u]

square

Rough_Rock
okay, i lied, 2 MORE questions:

(1) can you recommend any independent appraisers in the manhattan area besides david wolf (seems to be very busy)?

(2) do you know if it is relatively safe to do business with joseph schlussel at the diamond registry?

again, MANY THANKS!
Steve.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Liar! :bigsmile:

, Long Island.

Good professionals are always busy!

[/u]

square

Rough_Rock
LEO:
You are such a fantastic resource, you're addictive. I purchased a stone today from the Diamond Registry in Manhattan, here are the specs:
1.04 ct D VS1 (57% table, 60.5% Depth), Thin to Medium Girdle, EX Polish, VG Symmetry, No Culet, Faint Fluorescence w/ a GIA cert. SARIN (AGS): 6.53 - 6.57 - 3.96. crown (34.7', 14.8%) pavil (40.6', 42.5%) table (3.77mm, 57%) depth (3.96mm, 60.2%) culet (0.9%) girdle (0.7thin - 1.4medium). I paid $7280 for it and immediately had it appraised at IGI in Manhattan to confirm the numbers. They said the color was borderline D/E but appraised it as a 'D' and pulled a retail replacement value of $15,485 from God-only-knows-where. So here are what I truly believe are my last two questions: (1) I'm ordering the Vatche Platinum Royal Crown setting - do I need to be really picky on who I choose to set the diamond or is this a task that any jewler can handle with ease? If I need to be picky, what do I look for or what do I ask to make sure the person is qualified? and:cry2:) What is with the wacky appraisal value?? No one would ever pay $15k for the stone I bought and I could easily replace it for 1/2 that.
THANKS! THANKS! THANKS!
I'll send a photo over once it is mounted.
Take Care,
Steve.

RubyBleu

Rough_Rock
Appraisals are not worth **** in my book. They are a marketing tool for the industry.

$8700 less 33% = $5829/carat - we'll call that low Antwerp price
$8700 less 24% = $6612/carat - that's high Antwerp price

I would say you got a great deal on the stone...

square

Rough_Rock
This never ends....
I noticed the measurements on the stone I bought Monday don't QUITE add up:

Crown (14.8%) + max girdle (1.4%) + pavilion (42.5%) = 58.7% WHICH, I BELIEVE, SHOULD BE MY TOTAL DEPTH %.

Instead, my total depth % is 60.2%! Those numbers are all from a Sarin AGS report, the GIA cert actually lists the depth as 60.5%. What does this mean? Anything? Does it matter? Are these numbers supposed to add up?? I can still return my stone for a full refund, so please don't be afraid to be brutal if need be.

THANKS,
S.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
sqaure, see cut nut 's post under "Am I doing the HCA right" You do not add up those numbers to get the total depth. It is depth measurement divided by the average diameter measurement.

square

Rough_Rock
thanks f&i! i would love to know WHY those numbers don't need to add up, but it is nice to hear someone say that they don't. i'll drop a note over to cut and see if he will indulge me. thx again. -->s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results