shape
carat
color
clarity

Fluorescence - Moderate much of a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaBunt

Rough_Rock
I have found this diamond (see below)
which has a total visual performance 0.9 - Excellent - within BIC range The only thing I can see against it is the Fluorescence which, having looked in various newsgroups, most people are not worried about up to moderate.Could anyone who has seen moderate Fluorescence comment on this?WEIGHT: 1.00 Cts
Total Depth: 58.4
Table Width: 59%
Crown Height: 12%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Thin to medium,Faceted

FINISH
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Culet: None
CLARITY GRADE:* SI1
Graining: Nill
COLOR GRADE:** H
Fluorescence: Moderate (as this has nothing to do with clarity enhancement I started a new thread)

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
DaBunt,If the diamond doesn't look oily under the sunlight, fluorescence shouldn't bother you. Proportions for this diamond really looks much better. This stone should look larger for its weight.What grading report does it have? At any rate, make sure to examine the diamond with independent appraiser before finalizing the deal.

DaBunt

Rough_Rock
the cert is from EGL which seems to be less recognised (or less preferred) than many other certs.I will have to get the diamond shipped to the UK before I can check it out.Fingers crossed
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
What kind of diamond grading report comes with this diamond?If it is GIA or AGS, you can be pretty sure the fluorescence is accurately graded.Moderate should not take away from the stone and may even make the H color look whiter.If fluorescence is too strong, the diamond can look milky or oily, especially in sunlight.You need to clarify that the fluorescence is blue. Fluorescence can also be yellow, orange, green, etc. which is considered to be undesirable in a colorless diamond.You need to buy a diamond with a fair return policy and have it checked by an independent appraiser who can make sure that the c's on your report are correct and who can also test the fluorescence. Some labs are not as strict in their grading as GIA and AGS.You'll also want to know that the inclusions in your diamond are not eye visible if this is of concern to you and that they are not any that can affect the durability of the stone.You can save money and possibly find an even better cut diamond by staying under the 1.0 carat mark. Cutters will slack off on the cut quality in order to hide weight so they can charge more, as the price for a 1.0 carat diamond is greater than the price of a .99 carat diamond, with all the other C's being equal.Edit - I see you're buying in the US. You can have your diamond appraised by Dave Atlas, www.gemappraisers.com, before paying for shipping to the UK and worrying about having to return it in time for a return policy expiration date. In fact, some dealers will send a diamond to Dave before you even pay for it. Then if you decide you want to keep it after Dave examines it, you pay for the diamond and have it sent to you.Rockdoc is another good appraiser, www.consumersgemlab.com who has the same policy, but I think he is away just now.BTW, EGL (some franchises may be more consistent than others) is described by many experts on other forums as notoriously overgrading color, clarity and fluorescence.

DaBunt

Rough_Rock
Hi,Many thanks for your comments.The diamond is coming from Diamonds-usa. I have a chat with David Braverman who was very helpfull.He even offered to take the diamond out of the vault and look at it for me.He said the Inclusions (2 of them) are both on the girdle. He said it was a very nice diamond.The return policy is 14 days money back.Shipping is free as I am only getting the loose stone and not having it mouted.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
DaBunt, let us know how it will went out.Do you have in mind any appraiser in London to check the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results